Goodbye and rest in peace, Jose

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests' started by Orangeblood, Jul 7, 2001.

1. Orangeblood

Orangeblood 1,000+ Posts

This may be the most difficult post I've ever written. Earlier this afternoon, Jose was taken off the ventilator and quietly passed into God's hands 30-40 minutes later. I'm sure with all my soul that God was waiting for him with open arms. Unfortunately, that doesn't assauge the intense grief that I feel. Truly, the Longhorn community and EVERY community that Jose ever became related to has suffered an inestimable loss.

Jose embodied the ideals that we all wish for. He lived his life to the fullest and always had kind words and a helping hand for ANYBODY that needed them.

We don't know when or where the services are yet, but we will post the information when we know as long as Jose's family is comfortable with us doing so.

I would ask that this thread become a testament of who Jose was and how Jose will live with us always in our hearts and in our memories. Please post your stories and memories of Jose below for those that may not be able to make the services and so that all of us can add to our own stories and memories.

While this is truly a sad day and I am filled with grief, I thank God with all my heart for the 20 years that I was associated with Jose and experienced his incredibly joyous life.

God be with you always Jose and give you eternal peace.

We will miss you always.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ive seen the pics and heard the stories but was never fortunate to meet Jose. Everyone at BobcatFans.com sends its prayers and condolences to the family and the whole Longhorn community.

SWTBrent

3. sect2row7

sect2row7 < 25 Posts

Sat, 7/7/01, 3:20 p.m.
    I just logged on, hoping to see some good news about Jose, and saw this depressing post of his passing. Now is the time to celebrate the life of a truly good human being. Jose's enthusiasm for life, including UT sports, was most uplifting and heartening for me. I always felt more positive about things when I was around Jose.

RIP, Jose. You still live as long as we that knew you keep your memory in our hearts and minds. Make way up there for those of us who continue to to struggle down here.

Hook 'em ... always

"You can win them all, if you're good enough" - Coach Gus

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am extremely sorry to hear of the passing of Jose. I know we have been fighting an uphill battle but somehow always thought Jose would pull out of it. I think I can speak for the rest of the LSU bunch in expressing our deepest condolances.

God bless Jose and may the Lord shine his face on his families - ie. his immediate family and that of the LongHorns.

Frank from LSU Baseball

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You will alway's live on in our heart's. You have been a big brother to me for 18 years, and a best friend to my Mom and Grandmother. We all know you are now in a better place with God, and that you will alway's be there at every UT game watching over us and rooting for the Horn's with us in the 4th quarter. Beat the hell out of A&M and OU still sucks! We will all miss your vibrant personality and the love you had for Horn's and your Friend's and Famialy. Forever Hook'em and we love you!
    -Jon and Grandmommy

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Our deepest sympathy to Jose's family and loved ones. He was a Texas treasure in the finest sense and I will always remember the rallies he started for our home town Horns. Next time you see an orange sunset, think about Jose standing in the middle of it.
    --Everclimber

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To Jose's Family, I am truly sorry to hear that Jose has left you. He was truly an inspiration to me and to my family. I guess I am in total disbelief. Jose will always remain in my heart. Now, I don't know what I'll do at the ball games. I always looked for the infamous UT flag and went and visited with him, almost 30 years now. Jose always greeted me like I was a long lost best friend. He always treated my children and husband like we were a part of his family. I will truly miss Jose's cute laugh and precious UT smile. He inspired me to eat salads to lose those "extra" pounds to fit in our cheerleader outfits for the reunions. I will miss him always...Love, Karla Shelby Cheerleader 70-71

8. UTDALLAS

UTDALLAS First Time Poster

I met Jose about 6 years ago on a flight out to Lubbock for a UT - Tech game. He did not know me from Adam but just because I was a Longhorn wanted to include me in with his group going to and from the game. I was taken back by how friendly he was and was not frankly sure what to think. But I came to understand that was just the way he was - if you were a Longhorn - you could do no wrong in his eyes. I only wish I was as personable as he was - he left this Earth with more friends than most of us put together.

Good bless him and his family.

Steve Adams, Dallas

"The Eyes of Texas are upon you"

• Like Like x 1
  9. OrangeBull

OrangeBull 100+ Posts

Our world is saddened today. We have lost one of our dearest, closest and most respected friends. Jose brightened our lives with his goofy smiles, his wild, non-matching outfits, his unconventional phrases and his everlasting spirit. He had an unwavering dedication to his mom, his sisters and his brothers.

He is an icon to those who knew him well, his acquaintances and those who had infrequent, but unforgettable encounters with Jose. All you had to say was the guy waving the TEXAS flag and they knew who you were talking about.

He has friends from coast to coast, border to border. How many times have we gone on road trips with Jose to all parts of this great country, gone into a bar or restaurant we’ve never heard of or been to, and someone yells, HEY JOSE! He is unforgettable.

Jose loved the Longhorns. Him waving the TEXAS Flag at Football and Baseball games is indelibly forged in my memory. I will always see him wherever I am. His enthusiasm for sports was contagious as was his enthusiasm for life. We are all better people for knowing Jose.

HEY JOSE, we miss you. Watch over us and keep waving your TEXAS Flag. We love you man! Adios.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I guess this post is no big surprise, given the struggle that we knew Jose was enduring, but I am in absolute shock as I realise I'll never see that little guy again. He was such a joy to be around and was always good for a big smile and a lot of mischief. Notre Dame may dress up a guy in a leprechaun outfit and parade him around at games, but WE didn't have to, 'cause we had our Jose down there waving that flag and raising hell like no leprechaun ever could. I'll never forget our times together with the Wild Bunch in the 70's and the happy and sad times in Omaha. There will never be another Jose, the likes of him we'll never see again. As far as I'm concerned, from now on if I'm ever at a Longhorn baseball game, come the middle of the fifth inning, I'll be standing and looking skyward and raising my cup and yelling, "Hey, Jose and Frank, it's the bottom of the 5th!" May God's light ever shine upon you Jose, and I hope to see your spirit someday on the other side.

Rest in peace.

Rudy Stefancik, M.D.
    Grand Rapids, MI

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jose, we've got some stale hotdogs ready to hide again in your flag - oops, I mean cane - this football season. We're really going to miss hearing you scold us.
    You've got the best seat in the house now so help us make it through this season. John and Beth

12. Brazos Bevo

Brazos Bevo < 25 Posts

I'm not sure when or if I'll be able to put into words the part Jose has played in my life for the last 20+ years. It may take some time for me to get there but OrangeBull summed it up well.

I did want to share with everyone that Jose went peacefully and in no pain. He was surrounded by his family and many of his dear friends. We prayed with the priest who blessed him and sang the "Eyes of Texas." Actually, I don't know if any of us were able to sing too many words at that point.

Everyone was touching Jose as he left us and we told him over and over how much we loved him. At one point Jose's sister asked, " What time is it?" and everyone responded, "It's 1:20 and OU still Sucks!" The ICU nurses weren't sure if we were saying good by or sending him off with a pep rally.

Letting go of Jose today was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, and I'm not sure if I've totally let him go yet. He fought the good fight and is now in a much better place with his mother, Rose, brother,George and sister Stella. We weren't sure if Rose would greet him with a kick in the @#$% for letting himself get so sick or be giving him a big hug telling him he was finally home. If you knew Rose - probably both . . . in that order.

Please, please, please keep Jose's sister and brother, Susan and Ricky and their families in your prayers as well as Chris and Lisa, Stella's children. They have suffered a lot of loss in a very short period of time.

Thanks to everyone for their prayers and support for Jose the last month. You were felt by Jose and his family.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Eyes of Texas are weaping.

Jose was my brother. I was always so proud to be a part of his life. From his family, thanks to everyone for the love and support over the last several months. We were all there holding him, helping him, letting him go.

We, the family, make one request to anyone planning to attend the services in Austin or the memorial in Dallas. No black. No suits, no dresses, no ties. Burnt orange or festive Hawaiian (sp?) shirts and shorts--that don't necessarily need to match. Jose would expect nothing less. We should have plans set later today (Sunday 7/8/01).

Hook 'Em Horns!

Ricky

• Like Like x 1
  14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jose, My Little Big Brother, was such a wonderful friend who always made me smile and laugh. I consider myself a very lucky person to have had Jose in my life and to be able to be by his side as he fought this battle. Jose, you now have the best seat in the house to watch all your sporting events! Justin, Alicia and I will miss you but we have our memories and that will get us through. I love you with all my heart! Sheryl

15. axxemm

axxemm < 25 Posts

This is obviously a hard pill to swallow. It's quite a change of pace to make a post about how much all of us are anticipating the upcoming HORNS' football season to one about the loss of a man that epitomizes the PRIDE of TEXAS and Longhorn sports.. Jose was an individual who's made such a positive impact on hundreds, maybe thousands of people. Now, we must realize the harsh reality that he is sitting with the GOOD LORD and not suffering any more.

I haven't seen or talked to Jose since 1998, of course I regret that. The only times we met up were at the sanctuaries of U.T. sports (The Disch, DKR, and God forbid Kyle Field). His entire circle of friends are an awesome collection. Jose made his mark on this world in so many ways. His memory will be etched in my mind for eternity. The happy go-lucky always positive type.

My prayers and thoughts now are with his family and other friends that I've never met. I wish that I could! since I met him in 1989 at aTm game at Kyle Field and the numerous other football and baseball games, I made it a point to socialize with him, and he always put a smile on my face.

I give thanks to Gene and Dixie Davis for giving me the opportunity of meeting him. The best memories including the games, Ragfest parties, etc., I will always reflect on those!!

We'll miss you dearly! HOOK 'EM!!

shawn clynch-lufkin

16. Ruzenjka

Ruzenjka < 25 Posts

7-9-01
    Rick, Jose's brother,and I have just returned from Dallas. We have been planning Jose's rosary/visitation at Cook Walden Funeral home and the funeral at St Ignatious Church. We have not gotten to the week-end celebration of Jose's life in Dallas yet. At this point, the days of the rosary/visitation and funeral are still not settled. We are looking at either Tues. and Wed.(July 10 and 11) or Wed or Thus. (July 11 and 12). We were unable to speak to Father Zink yet to co-ordinate dates and times. We will post as soon as we know. Please watch for the obits in the Austin Stateman and Dallas Morning News. I have been with Jose since Thurs. when Rick asked me to fly to Dallas.
    People asked me if I thought Jose could hear them as they came to visit. Yes, I know in my heart that he heard all so us who spoke to him. When we spoke with to him and held his hand, his eyes would move under the lids as if he was trying to open them to respond. My 28 years with Jose have so special. He loved living life as he chose. As a freind said to me in the last hours, "Jose was loved by so many diverse peeople".His passing was shared by a group of freinds and family. He was an amazing man who will live in hearts of many of us. Out of adversity does come some positive. My positive was bonding with some old and new friends -all who had in common their love for Jose. John and Beth, Robert and Debbie, Sheryl. Greg and Kelly, Bill and Debbie, Maddox, Gabe and Carol, Bobby, Mace, and all the others who cried, laughed, told "Jose" stories, and made some lasting connections. Our vow is to continue the tradition of keeping the Longhorn spirit alive and well. Please dress for all the "Jose" celebrations in casual attire. We ask for burnt orange or Hawaiian prints. Wow, will Father Zink have a problem with that? He will get over it. In behalf of the Pena family, thanks for to all who loved Jose,prayed for him, kept him in their thoughts, and your continued support. A special thanks to Bill Goodwin who was the best at keeping everyone informed and to John and Beth who kept me centered and my dear newest friend, Sheryl, who cried with me and held my hand when I got weak. Also to Jason who knew what was best for me better than I. It is a sad end to one who was so young and had so much to offer Yet, it is tribute to Jose to have so many loving, caring friends. My life will never be the same, but as most of you, Jose will live in hearts forever. Ruzenjka

17. KEYSERSOZE

KEYSERSOZE 100+ Posts

Jose, I will miss you man. Every time I see the Texas flag it will remind me of you. If there was a UT sporting event and you were there the Flag was there too. We always had a great time on those road trips,except for your snoring,even when we lost. I will miss your tears of joy when we won a tough one and the tears when we lost a tough one. God Bless you Jose!

Edited by KEYSERSOZE on 7/9/01 08:02 AM.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The City of Omaha and the State of Nebraska have lost a dear friend with the passing of Jose. Our family has had the pleasure of seeing and visiting with Jose at least once a year during the College World Series in June. We were all
    saddened this year when we learned he was hospitalized and would not be able to make the trip to Omaha. The staff at
    LoSoleMios and Jerico's will also miss his visits.
    Jose gave Tory and me a huge Texas welcome while we were in
    Austin for the Texas-Nebraska football game a few years ago;
    we also had the opportunity to meet & stay with his mother
    Rose. We had a wonderful time thanks to the hospitality of
    the Pena's.
    Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and all the
    tremendous Longhorn fans we have met because of Jose. The memory of Jose will always live on in Omaha during the CWS.
    We're going to miss you little buddy!
    Paul, Jo and Tory Wettengel, Omaha, NE

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To Rick and Susan and everyone near and dear to Jose
    (which includes almost everyone Jose met)...
    I am sorry for the loss each of us is experiencing at his
    passing...but I thank GOD for his life, for his love, and for his energy and inspiration...How boring would our lives
    have been without Jose in it?!
    I had been a co-worker of Jose's for a couple of years at
    Southwestern Bell, leading a pretty normal existence until 1982, when Jose asked me to come-up with a party flier for a TX-OU post-game PARTY...WHOA! I didn't know that TEXAS fans could be so intense or that a party could be so much fun...but the key ingredient was Jose.
    Jose was a GREAT party person but a WONDERFUL friend!
    We shared a lot about work...about life...and about having fun. If anyone could be described as LIVIN'La VIDA LOCA...
    it was Jose
    I will miss him in my life...but what FANTASTIC memories he helped create! I know he is with GOD and with his mother
    and other loved ones in Heaven at this moment...but for us
    who have our own days to live out...I ask GOD to give us Understanding, Peace and Strength as we carry-on without Jose to cheer us on.
    PEACE! Ric (ZAK) Valadez

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you Jose' for so many seasons, so many smiles and laughs. We miss you horribly. Give Rose a hug from all of us.

21. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Please update service schedule for Jose when available
    Thanks

22. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I have known Jose for nearly two years. It was a pleasure to call him a friend. I met him at the Dallas Area Longhorn Lunch Bunch and he was always in attendance. Jose was always one of the most up-beat, optimistic of fans and people I knew or have known. I enjoyed knowing Jose, and I will miss him each week. I will also miss the flag and the support he brought the Longhorn sports programs.

My prayers are with Jose's family at this time. Peaceful rest Jose. Until we meet again my friend.

23. Brazos Bevo

Brazos Bevo < 25 Posts

These are the plans Ricky has shared with me as of Monday evening:

Visitation hours for Jose will be Wednesday (7/11) from 1-7 pm at Cook Walden Funeral Home (6100 North Lamar). From 1-3, Jose will be in the small visitation room and after 3:30 or so, visitation will continue in the large visitation room. The rosary for Jose will be at 7 pm Wednesday night.

The Funeral mass for Jose will be at 10 am Thursday morning (7/12) at St. Ignatius Martyr Church (126 West Oltorf). After the funeral there will be a reception at Scholz's in the north party room.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Jose's name to the American Heart Association in memory of his mother, Rose and to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation in memory of his sister, Stella.

Friends are encouraged to bring photos to the rosary Wednesday. There will be several photo boards available as well as counter space. Please write you name on the back of you photos so that they can be returned to you.

Texas flags are welcomed at the rosary and funeral.

The family has one request to anyone planning to attend the services in Austin or the memorial in Dallas: No black. No suits, no dresses, no ties. Burnt orange or festive Hawaiian shirts and shorts--that don't necessarily need to match. Jose would expect nothing less. And yes, it is OK to be informal at the funeral mass.

I will post any changes I become aware of.

Edited by Brazos Bevo on 7/10/01 00:20 AM.

24. luvhorns

luvhorns First Time Poster

I don't think I can make it through football season without Jose. He was the ultimate
    Longhorn and a great friend. We talked often and we always looked for the Texas flag
    at all games. I will miss him so much.

25. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sandy Rosentrater here. I first met Jose about 20 years ago when I was just a small child. There was an immediate connection between me and the little man with the flag. That's just the type of Guy Jose was an immediate and long lasting friend. From then on he always had a smile and a big hug for me at each game. Jose, You are loved! Friends and family find your peace and rest in God!

26. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I shall never forget the time we all waited in the Miami
    Airport for Jose....with the plane ready to take off. As
    I recall, Scott got the pilot to hold the plane...or so it
    seemed. I think that was '89 or '90, and now, only a few
    years later, it is Jose leaving on the plane, and we must
    wait. My prayers are for family and friends as we recall
    those delightful memories. Ariel and family

27. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jose will truly be missed amoung all of us. All our prayers are with Jose's family, friends, and all his fan's at the Longhorn Football & Baseball games. The Texas Flag will truly be missed. We love you Jose! T & D

28. Brazos Bevo

Brazos Bevo < 25 Posts

I haven't been able to get to the football board to post this on the arrangements thread so I'm including it here.

This evening (in Austin) there will be an informal get together to celebrate Jose's life beginning between 7:30 and 8:00 pm at El Gallo's Restaurant located at 2910 S. Congress. It's between Ben White and Oltorf, directly across from St. Edward's University on the west side. El Gallo's was one of Jose's, and his family's, favorite Mexican places. He always ordered the cabrito or little goat every time he went there.

Please let me know if you would like to come. The party room, which is to the left of the cash register when you come in, has been reserved. I need to let El Gallo's know approximately how many will be attending.

Please e-mail me at aliceroberts@earthlink.net or call 462-2803 and leave a message if you would like to join us.

29. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My wife and I have know Jose for aboout 20 years. We morn his passing and wish the best for his family. He wil be truly missed.

dcphil-98 mostly known at Disch-Faulk as Col. Dave

30. Ruzenjka

Ruzenjka < 25 Posts

Rick,Susan,Lisa,and I visited Jose tonight in the family night before Rosary tomorrow night.Jose looks peaceful and tranquil. It has been hard for all of us, but we know that he is in a better place. I told my "other best" friend that I feel fine in closure with the "the guy". Jose lived his life as he pleased. He enjoyed his every sporting event and travel. He would not want to be infirmed in anyway. He is in Heaven with Rose and "others" on the 50 yard line which is more than we ever had here. Come to Austin to celebrate Jose's life with his family. Hook 'Em Horns! Ruzenjka