Goodbye, Texas.

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by RainH2burntO, Nov 5, 2021.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Interesting read. We hear the media-at-large perspective. I thought given the current state of the program an interested individual Big12 peer perspective would stir some dialogue relevant to our affairs.
    Basically says in relation to our Big12 departure we use to look up to you and think you were cool but now we thing you're a punk so good riddance.

WILLIAMS: Good riddance, big brother

• poop poop x 1
  2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Wow
    What a whiny sour grapes douche canoe.
    What did Texas ever do in "wielding power "that hurt the others in the Big 12?
    Since ou has beaten up on isu for decades longer than Texas did the crybaby also write a piece in ou?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Read it. To put it in terms that even the author of the article and the ISU fan base can understand, I say, "what a crock of sh*t!!" That dumbass lets his life be defined by one game every year and whines about ISU not having the funds that UT does. Go get a life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

This is the epitome of p**** envy and sour grapes. They don’t want for us to go but since we are going, let’s spin it as though it’s a good thing.

The author convinced no one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Ok I do not like the article. I do say the description of the once mighty having fallen tends to get my agreement. I do not see a legitimate argument against that premise. We certainly are not Jones’s of football by a looooong shot. Sigh.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

We don't have to be the Joneses of the W-L record to have still been one of two bell cows who carried the entire conference financially.

The conference viewership numbers do not lie.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

A bit reminiscent of some of the whining on this board when the Aggies pursued their own best interests

as one Ag said at the time, “better to be middling in the SEC than middling in the Big XII” to paraphrase just a bit—- from an interesting article in The SA paper today

8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Whoa, there, pardner. Who whined? Ridiculed, yes. Whined? Uh, I don't recall that. Happy to see those titty babies run off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

To paraphrase a great man: Let the babies have their bottle. We've got bigger goals to achieve.

10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Huis
    Since everything is archived please provide proof anyone on here whined when aggy left.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like we’re gonna be living in that boy’s mind for decades to come.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Right. “We hate you, we fart in your general direction. You are horrible people. We wish you were dead. You think you are important, but you are not.”
    “Okay, we are leaving.”
    “”How could you do this to us? “This is so unfair!”

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Chrissie is showing him’s hurt on being dumped and losing out on the benefits of association. Him will be able to tell his grandkids that his Iowa State team used to play THE University of Texas.

14. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Wow. Maybe I have a different perspective than others on this thread having just read the article after getting our asses handed to us in Ames, but I think the guy probably speaks accurately for the 8 schools left in B12.

"just a narcissistic *******.” honestly seems like a pretty accurate description this morning.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

And here I've lived all my life believing in the myth of the genteel Midwesterners, farm folk, genuine, God-fearing, simple welcoming people.

That myth has been destroyed by this article and hearing the crowd yell 'F*** the Long-horns!, clap clap clap-clap-clap' last night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

You mean you didn't see the black and white poster board with an upside down longhorn? It had pole assassin hanging from one horn and Gia the other. They are pretty clever I'll give them that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Darn, thread title made me reflect on opening line of gaggie hymn. Ugh

18. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

We lost the lead in the second half instead of in the fourth quarter!!

is that progress?

Huisache, a bedwetter in training, thinks not

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I have been to Ames a few times, and never had a problem, but I took my grandson to sit behind the Washington State bench in the Alamo Bowl. We were surronded by Iowa State fans. They were vicious - worse than OU or A&M, but not quite as bad as Ohio State. Drunk, vulgar, stupid, and poorly attired.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Psyclone

Psyclone 25+ Posts

There is some truth in that, but let's look at some real numbers for last season. In 2020 Texas averaged 2,907,778 viewers in 9 games. Iowa State averaged 2,258,333 in 12 games where ratings were reported.

The Texas numbers do not include a game against Kansas which was the worst draw for Iowa State with only 247,000 viewers for that game.

Texas had 7 games on FOX and ABC which consistently pull down the biggest numbers. The remaining two games were on ESPN including the Alamo Bowl.

Iowa State had 6 games on FOX and ABC, 3 on ESPN and 3 on FS1. FS1 is a death sentence when looking at ratings. Iowa State's 3 games on FS1 averaged 360,000 which brings down the average. The Fiesta Bowl was on ESPN. The Big 12 Championship was on ABC, but the rematch with Oklahoma drew fewer numbers than the regular season game which was also on ABC. The championship game numbers were probably hurt going up against the Big Ten championship at the same time. Ohio State was been a ratings juggernaut in 2020, averaging around 6,000,000 viewers not including the playoffs which averaged 19,000,000 viewers.

Texas is one of the biggest names in football which is a reason they are never delegated to channels like FS1. Iowa State is at the opposite end of that spectrum. But even with the three FS1 games bringing down the average, ISU averaged the third most viewers per game in the Big 12. Their 2020 numbers were very respectable.

There is plenty of information here to support your statement about Texas viewers. I just wanted to throw the numbers out there with minimal commentary. I'll be pulling down the current season before it ends and looking at those.

Here's the average viewers for Big 12 teams. (Sorry I don't know how to format it better on this board.)

Team Games Viewers
    Oklahoma 10 3,072,100
    Texas 9 2,907,778
    Iowa State 12 2,258,333
    Oklahoma State 11 2,177,000
    West Virginia 10 1,554,200
    Kansas State 10 1,418,900
    Texas Tech 8 1,340,750
    TCU 10 1,086,700
    Baylor 9 891,111
    Kansas 8 559,375

EDITED to correct an error in Texas numbers.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  21. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

So you're telling me in arguably the best period in ISU history vs probably the worst period in Longhorn history we still out drew you by almost 600k viewers per game? I guess there was the Earl Bruce stint in the 70's that could have been better, but back then I'm not sure anyone could even find Ames on a map. I guess Dan McCarney won 9 games once. You're proving our point here without even realizing it.

Thanks for bringing us down to FS1 last night. :smokin:

22. Psyclone

Psyclone 25+ Posts

I realized exactly what I was doing. I generally didn't try to comment much beyond providing the raw numbers as that makes a leap from actual data to opinion. I knowingly made that leap with my comments about FS1 and Kansas.

I also commented a few times to support your claims of viewer superiority, opening with "There is some truth in that" and later commenting "Texas is one of the biggest names in football" and later with "There is plenty of information here to support your statement about Texas viewers". But I also wanted you to see that Iowa State generated some good numbers also. Not as good as Texas, but good enough if it were sustainable for TV execs to take notice. The question is whether it is sustainable.

And another question you would be interested in is what Texas numbers would look like if they had a team challenging for a CFP spot. Would they be similar to Ohio State? The Ohio State numbers are stunning. They exist in a high population region with little significant instate competition. (Cincinnati may be changing that.) Competing for Big Ten championships and CFP spots likely drives those numbers higher. While some of those factors may be different for Texas, it makes you wonder what the ceiling is if they fielded a CFP team.

23. Psyclone

Psyclone 25+ Posts

That hadn't even occurred to me when I made my post. Both of us losing the week before undoubtedly dropped us into that slot. It will be interesting to see how that game does in the ratings. The games on the other major channels at the same time last night were Oregon @ Washington (ABC), Indiana @ Michigan (FOX), LSU @ Alabama (ESPN) and Tennessee @ Kentucky (ESPN2). Half of Iowa's viewers would have also been tuned to Iowa @ Northwestern (BTN).

• Like Like x 1
  24. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

I say grant and concede them each and every point of their worthless hit piece. And then both Texas and Oklahoma (especially OU), need to send an invoice to ISU and all of the rest of the Irate 8, for a refund of what is now over several 100 million dollars in welfare money they have been paid living off of Texas and OU.

And surely the folks in these deeply conservative, stand on your own two feet, "we don't take handout's", yada, yada, yada, states, would immediately refund the millions and millions of sugar tit money that they have been paid for a TV contract that's value was based solely on the two Evil Empire's. OU has been carrying these guys even longer (1961), due the Big 8's revenue sharing that was in place when the Big 6 officially added OSU and ISU. And of course the welfare checks really got jacked up in 1996 with the formation of the Big 12.

When the conference realignment's circa 2010 happened, Sen. Boren and Joe Castiglione said in a press conference, "where Texas goes, we go". It was done for two reasons. First because it was true, and always had been. Second it continued the reputation of Texas as the villian. The home wrecker. The bully. We had broken up the SWC. We had caused the implosion of the Big 12. And now the destruction of the Big 12 2.0. And there is SOME truth in each of those. We offered member institutions options that were, in the long term going to be best for them, and for us. They only saw the latter. I'm pretty sure now that they are Purdue and Northwestern's *****, Nebraska is rethinking that.

And the Texas "bully" narrative is a national one. Which makes OU that much more of a media darling, which is hard to do. For those who haven't really been paying attention to things like pre-season rankings, Heisman balloting, BCS/CFP rankings, ESPN made OU a member of the SEC in 2008. Even low IQ Sam Bradford knew that he wasn't supposed to be standing there that night in New York holding Colt's trophy.

All of which is to say, great article. Now send out the damn invoices and get our money back.

:texasflag::cowrose::texasflag:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

There were a number of excellent articles that broke down viewership (over several years) slightly differently than you did. They looked at BigXII conference games only - those that included Texas or OU, compared with those games that did not include Texas or OU.

The viewership numbers were far more bleak than the ones you posted. The numbers you posted earned a bump from games played against Texas and against OU. The numbers without those two games, well, they won't be nearly as pretty.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  26. Psyclone

Psyclone 25+ Posts

There is no debate that games with Texas and Oklahoma draw big numbers, although we wait to see the numbers on the game just played. But Iowa State also had good numbers against Oklahoma State (2,810,000) and Kansas State (1,980,000). Louisiana game on ESPN drew 1,680,000, Tech (1,380,000) and West Virginia (1,220,000). Games on FS1 against Baylor, Kansas and TCU averaged a pitiful 360,000. The Fiesta Bowl against Oregon drew 6,680,000.

I remind you that media revenue was not shared equally in the Big 8 or in the Big 12 until Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and A&M left the conference. And even then it did not include tier 3 revenue in the sharing agreement. So when you send out your invoices don't forget that. And don't forget to factor in Big 12 distributions from the NCAA basketball tournament.

27. Psyclone

Psyclone 25+ Posts

I started downloading the numbers last year into a spreadsheet where I could more easily analyze them. At the time I was curious how FS1 affected viewers after seeing low numbers for those games when just scanning the weekly ratings. It didn't hurt having all the bye weeks to find the time to work on this. Something we don't have this year.

I plan to download and analyze the current year and have a desire to load past years for as far back as I can get it. It takes quite a bit of work to clean up the data as my source is not consistent with school names and abbreviations and that all needs cleaned up, which is a lot of work. I'd also like to bucket the games into time slots so one can see what competition a game is up against. Since start times can be staggered, I haven't decided how best to do that. I'll probably bucket the Saturday games into four time slots which is probably good enough.

Individual teams can drive ratings, but great matchups really attracts viewers. For example, last year the Texas-Baylor game drew a season low of 1,150,000 viewers for Texas, while Texas-Oklahoma drew a season high of 4,810,000 viewers. The Texas-Iowa State game drew a respectable 3,570,000 viewers, which was the third highest for Texas.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  28. Psyclone

Psyclone 25+ Posts

The results are in. The Texas-Iowa State game drew a disappointing 907,000 viewers on FS1.

Here are the numbers for the competing games Saturday night:
    LSU @ Alabama 5.000M ESPN
    Oregon @ Washington 2.726M ABC
    Indiana @ Michigan 2.683M FOX
    Tennessee @ Kentucky 1.478M ESPN2
    Iowa @ Northwestern 552K BTN​

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021