Got Call of Duty 4 for Christmas

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by mandingo, Dec 27, 2007.

1. SWHorn

SWHorn 500+ Posts

2. Fried JJ Pickles

Fried JJ Pickles 1,000+ Posts

I might have to give this game a shot.

I'm not a big fan of the COD series. The first 3 were scripted "smoke and mirrors" FPS games. The sense of battle intensity breaks down when you get a feel for the event triggers and start toying around with the AI and trigger system. (There were several parts in COD 2 that I was able to beat on hard without firing a single shot by running past the enemy re-spawn line and hiding where they couldn't shoot at me).

But this one is getting some tremendous love. Is it a huge improvement over the others?

3. LCHorn

LCHorn 100+ Posts

I think its worth playing because some of the scripted sequences are unbelievable. That said, from a tactical perspective, I think Rainbow Six Las Vegas is it's better.

I got a little frustrated ever time there as a tactical entry and your squad would stack outside the door and leave you with nothing to do. If you try to get in their way you just get shot coming through the door. The squad really operates independent of your actions.

4. HornsOverIthaca

HornsOverIthaca 250+ Posts

With Xbox Live all messed up right now I'm back to playing online games on the PC. I'll probably wait awhile for COD4. I'm also thinking about getting Ace Combat 6 just to play something new that isn't an FPS.

5. Superfan

Superfan 250+ Posts

360 gamertag

NATEBEDAIR

Clan tag

(My kill ratio at the time)

This game has made me forsake all others. I'm Prestige 1 level 51 right now.

6. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

Holy ****. I bought gcsmithiv's copy and just finished it (took a few hours on "regular"). That was probably one of the best games I have ever played. The firefights were so chaotic. The game play was unreal. AC-130 controls? F'N AWESOME. Sniper sequence? F'N AWESOME.

I'm a huge Halo fan, and will probably keep playing Halo, but COD4 is absolutely sick. It's not the most cutting edge (see: Crysis for PC), but the creators definitely did their homework.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I also received COD4 for Christmas and played last night for the first time. I haven't played a video game in a long time and I really suck. Took me forever to get through the recruit sequence at the beginning. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what all the buttons do and how to aim but I'll get better the more I play. I have today off and plan to spend a good 2-3 hours playing this afternoon.

Any recommendations for another game that is this awesome? I downloaded the Resistance Demo and it seems like a cool game if I could last longer than 30 seconds.

8. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

If you have a PS3 I would also recommend Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. You can download the demo free from the Playstation Store Online.

It's kind of like TombRaider meets Raiders of the Lost Ark. I hear WarHawk is good also, but that is only multi-player, so if you're a n00b like myself you'll end up getting killed alot.

[​IMG] Danno

9. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

10. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

I don't know about costing less, but I would imagine that a couple of decent games would fill your HDD up pretty quick.

When you get to feeling a little more comfortable with CoD4 you should come online and play with me, AstroHorn and some of the others around here. My PSN is the same as my HornFans ID.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

[​IMG] Danno

11. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

12. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

Played online for the first time earlier... This game dominates.

I added just about everyone who listed their PSN on this thread. I only have a KD ratio of 1, but with a few more days of practice I should be decent.

13. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

14. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

15. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

16. BHood27

BHood27 25+ Posts

I am bmhood27 on PS3

17. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

Can someone tell me what I need to get as a starter-kit for a 360? I've had a few friends tell me to get it b/c they play COD4 and I have little else to do, so what the hell.

I see all these different bundles and whatnot, so I just need to know what to get. Someone simplify for this lazy guy. Thx.

18. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

just go get a used 360 with a warranty from gamestop, get the hard drive there too. Put the 360 near your router so you can plug it in directly, or you have to buy a wireless adapter (stupid).

Thats what I did... Great decision and I saved a TON of money. I play the heck out of it, have left it on, etc... its still running perfectly.

19. bmoore15

bmoore15 100+ Posts

I have COD4 on PS3. My name is bmoore5 if anyone wants to play

20. TexHorn06

TexHorn06 25+ Posts

I love this game, it's so damn addicting.

21. bmoore15

bmoore15 100+ Posts

is anyone else having problems playing blu-ray movies on their ps3? i have a 40g ps3 and tried to watch 3:10 to Yuma tonight in blu-ray but it wouldn't read the disk. the ps3 is reading all other disk though. anyone have a solution for this?

22. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

23. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

24. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

25. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

I haven't collected all 30 (supposedly it's like a single player perk), but there is a really good guide to finding them at IGN. But it's really kind of cheating if you read it before beating the game.

I don't know what level you are playing (Hardened, Regular, etc.) but the level you just finished and the one you are about to start were by far the hardest I've played. Good Luck!

[​IMG] Danno

26. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I found a guide on IGN under COD4 Cheats section. It breaks down were each laptop is located. Yes, its like cheating but what the hell, its a video game and I want to see what happens if I were to get all 30. Makes the game last a little longer.

I'm on the easiest mode. I really enjoyed the sniper section. Didn't care much for the section when I had to shoot from the helicopter.

27. TexHorn06

TexHorn06 25+ Posts

So what perks do yall use?

28. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

^^^^What are perks? I've been playing less than a week and haven't picked up all the nuances of the game.

29. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

Perks are extra attributes earned/ used in online matches. As you move up in rank/ experience points (XP) you can earn the ability to make your aim more steady, get deeper penetration on your shots or unlock extra grenades, etc.

In response to TexHorn06, I use different perks for different weapons packages.

For example in my Sniper package I use:
    Claymore x2 to cover the entrances to my position
    Juggernaut to take more hits
    Iron Lungs to improve my ability to aim through the sights for a longer period of time

The two I always use are Juggernaut to be able to take more hits and claymores (much to AstroHorn's chagrin ). You just kind of have to mix and match to your style of play. The one thing I hate is that the perks are limited by category. I would love to be able to use claymores, while wearing a bandolier for more ammo. I know they limit it for fairness but I'd like more flexibility.

Also, I would kill to be able to add more than one attachment to a weapon (i.e. a scope and silencer) not just one...again an issue of fairness. Maybe that's possible for higher ranks...anyone know?

[​IMG] Danno

30. Turd of Doom

Turd of Doom 250+ Posts

Prestige level 29
    kill ratio 1.23

I like a camp package
    G36 red dot for walking around
    50 cal for when I get there

perks
    overkill
    claymores
    stopping power or something else

I also like a ninja package
    P90 with silencer
    UAV blocker
    Dead Silence
    Bandolier

I can't use all these right now because I am working back with prestige mode.