Got Call of Duty 4 for Christmas

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by mandingo, Dec 27, 2007.

1. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

Man, just reading this thread makes me want to get back on my PS3 and start playing again. Our Wii came in over the weekend and has dominated my life.

Danno--i know i just missed you in a game last week, i was running through the single player on hard. i need to get better before i get back online. playing as a level 6 against 40s is tough. i can't even access the guns they kill me with! ha.

i have two perks packages:
    "Tiger" (short range, building heavy levels)
    Scorpion + silenced pistol
    deeper penetration
    more health
    more grenades

"Ghost" (sniper)
    sniper rifle and silenced pistol
    extra penetrating power
    claymore
    don't remember the third

2. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

3. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

I had the same problem at first with my router, I changed channels and haven't had the same problem since. I had no idea that cordless phones interferred that much. So you might check that before going to the trouble of running lines or moving TV's, etc.

Not a prob Snives, due a little knee work to I've been able to play during the day the past few days upping my level as I go. This is my first day back in the office and I'm jonesing for the game right now real bad (at least I hope it the game and not my painkiller). ;-)

The TEX clan could use your assistance regardless of skill, last night me, AstroHorn and Wild_Turkey got caught in a 3 on six Domination match after the folks we were playing with (non Clan members) bailed. We ended up getting smoked by a bunch of ****-talking Yankees...I hate that feeling.

[​IMG] Danno

4. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

The M60 with the scope along with stopping power and deep impact as perks is nasty. Shooting people through walls is fun.

5. nych 1

nych 1 250+ Posts

3:10 to Yuma is 1.1 profile disc. The movies "Sunshine", "War", and "Resident Evil: Extinction" are also 1.1. If you haven't done the Firmware v2.10, this could be your problem. Theoretically, a blu-ray 1.0 player will play the 1.1 disc w/o incorporating the 1.1 profile upgrades (HD picture-in-picture capabilities); not sure why this movie will not work on your Playstation 3.

Luckily you have a PS3 player. My parents have a Samsung player that probably won't play the movie without a firmware update that will take much longer from Samsung. Additionally, the Samsung will never be able to be updated to the 1.1 profile. I feel sorry for early adopters of blu-ray (those who bought 1.0 stand-alone players) and HD-DVD folks (stuck with the Betamax of HD). I've been there; I bought a $1500 Sony SACD player because I thought people would embrace higher resolution audio.

Sony has been pretty good about firmware updates. In fact, the Playstation 3 should be able to be firmware updated to 2.0 profile (BD-Live) sometime this year. The only thing up in the air is whether the PS3 will get a DTS-HD MA firmware update in the future. The machine is almost future-proof.

6. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

Well, i should be online today after work (5:30ish) for awhile, and then possibly late tonight. i won't leave you hanging in a game, but there's a possibility that Comcast might feel different. i've never hated them as much as when I was gearing up for a game and lost connection. AT&T U-verse here I come.

7. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

hornian and I are on right now. Hornian's blowin' ***.

j/k [​IMG]

8. tex-horn

tex-horn 100+ Posts

I fired up my PS3 for the first time in a few days and was shocked to see my inbox full of friendship requests. Awesome. Now if I didn't suck from not playing for two weeks..

9. Superfan

Superfan 250+ Posts

I like

Sniping
    Any sniper rifle (except M21)
    Gold Desert Eagle
    Fragx3
    Stopping power
    Deep Penetrations

Assault
    M16A4
    Gold Desert Eagle
    Red Dot
    Fragx3
    Martyrdom or Deep Penetration

Assault #2
    RPD/M60
    Red Dot
    Gold Desert Eagle
    Fragx3
    Stopping power
    Deep Penetration

I just had 3 games in a row 20+ kills with a K/R over 2:1
    Then I had a 33/14 game.

I was raking tonight!

10. TexHorn06

TexHorn06 25+ Posts

I'm not much of a sniper, but my favorite is:

M60 w/ Grip
    (Perk 1 taken by grip)
    Juggernaut
    Martyrdom

The grip adds about 20% more accuracy with the machine gun.

11. Chico_SA

Chico_SA 25+ Posts

Im in the midst of a move and have already moved my system but not transfered cable. Dang I'm ready to play again. I have a feeling I'll be on pretty much all Sat night. Going from a 22in LCD to a 52in LCD. I might have to adjust all over again as I got sick for a while when I first started playing.
    Add me if you get around to it.
    CHICO_sa

I usually play domination games and tend to go with sniper.

12. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

13. someone

someone 250+ Posts

the new levels are interesting

im on ps3. ianb213..i'll be adding all y'all tonight.

14. PillowPants

PillowPants < 25 Posts

I just finished the single player game yesterday, what a story! I still haven't played online, because I need to have somewhat of a social life these days. Plus I suck horrendously.

15. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I believe that I've connected to everyone who sent me a "Friends" message on PSN.

Do I have to make it a certain level in single player before I can play online?

16. Horny04

Horny04 100+ Posts

I'm a newb but feel free to friend me, I am K-Nasty on PSN.

Also, how in the fark does the voice stuff work? I tried hooking up a bluetooth headset once but couldn't figure out what to do...I got it sync'd, but what about the game? And why does the audio from the other people playing sound so ******?

17. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

so i got pwn3d for awhile online today. that was interesting...
    I guess i feel like i'm getting better, but it's a slow process. my kill ratio still is under 1, so i always feel ****** like i'm letting the team down.

18. TexHorn06

TexHorn06 25+ Posts

I know what you mean Mizzou, I am getting to where I'm usually even or + a couple now on my kill/death ratio, my overall is still around .8 something.

19. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

just a word of advice... work with semi-autos until your accuracy is up to par. I see way too many noobs just spraying, and while that's good for a kill here and there, superior aim derived from HAVING to aim will help you in the long run.

20. GarCiaRia

GarCiaRia 100+ Posts

What an addicting game. Haven't picked up H3 since I got it a few days ago. Working my way up. Got a long ways to go. I've got to better put my head on a swivel. Seems like I'm always getting knifed by someone that came in behind me.

I get alot of kills with the grenade launcher. Most seem to prefer the red dot perk, but I like the gl. But if I miss, I'm dead. Definitely getting better. Gamertag is Brown Wall (Xbox ).

21. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

DC, as soon as you've registered online you are able to play online. Although I've notice that maybe certain maps aren't open to you until you've leveled up enough. Anyone else notice this?

Snives, dude, you did fine, you leveled up twice in those two rounds...if you want to talk about pwnage...I got smoked by some Canadian sniper chick 11 times on that Crossfire map shortly after you left. Talk about a completely emasculating experience. It didn't help that I got the "eavesdrop perk" and was listening to her laugh with her other teammates about it...PAIN!!!

Speaking of using headsets, once you've synced it with the PS3 on the XMB, you need to go to Audio In/Out and set your headset as the device, then you'll be able to use it in the game.

jcazes speaks the truth, his kill ratio and scores are near mine and he's been online less that half the time I have. You rock man!

Hope to catch up with all y'all online. Happy hunting!

[​IMG] Danno

22. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Wow...didn't know what a huge response this post would get. I just finished the story on regular. It was fantastic. Got into xbox live play last night and got my *** handed to me, but I did move up from level 1 to 4 in about an hour. I'm "hairy scotsmn".

Fantastic game. Anyone wanna buy my Halo 3?

23. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I think I'm going to finish this story before I play on-line, I just finished "Sins of the Father". How do I find out what my kill ratio is or is that for on-line play only?

24. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

In CoD4, it appears that the kill ratio is online only.

25. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

I'm pretty sure the only single player scoring I saw was when I tried the arcade mode for a couple of levels. Didn't really feel it, but I guess some folks would like to play that way.

[​IMG] Danno

26. BHood27

BHood27 25+ Posts

27. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

28. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

There are some really hardcore clans out there that play that way, folks with designated roles and duties and they've recently added some maps and competition categories for these groups. I talked to a couple of guys in a clan last night that is so tight that they have to maintain a certain K/D ratio or the other members vote them out...that's a little too hardwired for my taste.

Most of the clans I've come across though are like ours, a group of folks with a common interest (i.e. HornFans); there's one made up of retired Marine reservists; and apparently one for Canadian moms who like getting their Snipe on, TexAgs even has one (they really like it when you BAHHH in their ear all game); who are playing an online game to hang out, amuse ourselves and relax.

In terms of scoring, the individuals earn their points which build toward a team victory whether or not your team is made up of your clan members or not. Although if your clan mates, are in your friends list and online, you can see there scores and compare with your own.

For the most part we (TEX) just play together. Alot of times we play in random rooms which means that we don't even end up on the same team (which is why hornian and AstroHorn lit me up the other night). I guess in in the end clan tags are there to give you a netowrk of folks more like yourself to play with as opposed to some random guy screaming obscenities or worse into his mike all game. They also teach you some of the tricks of the trade and help shepard you along in your development. I know I'd still be lost if AstroHorn and others hadn't given me a little coaching.

As for communicating, if you have a headset, bluetooth or not (I use the old SOCOM wired headset) yes you can talk to each other. Pre-game in the Lobby you can to talk to anyone on either side. Once you are in the game you can talk to only your teammates and if you earn the "eavesdrop" perk then you can listen to the opponents' team...I didn't think about trying to talk to them so I don't know if you can do that.

I guess in short what I'm trying to say is that's it not that daunting and once you get out there and start playing and a clan is a good to learn the ropes in a community setting. Hope this helps.

[​IMG] Danno

29. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

BHood, sorry abou that. I thinks its all updated now. I noticed after the server update, all my clan tags and custom weapons settings were cleared as well and then magically reappeared so I guess I'm good to go now.

[​IMG] Danno

30. forshizzzle

forshizzzle 25+ Posts