Got Call of Duty 4 for Christmas

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by mandingo, Dec 27, 2007.

1. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

how much does having a headphone help? I'm thinking about snagging one, but i don't want just hear the 12-year-old from chicago laughing over my dead body. i take it they're important for team matches?

also, several times i've gotten caught loading up the wrong gun type for a map. i'm getting better as i recognize some of the levels/game types, but do some of you have preferred options?

finally, at what level do you start rocking sweet m16 scopes and the red dot? i find myself much more successful when i snag a good gun off a corpse, since i usually start with such ****.

2. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Some on this sounds like it gets really intense!!!

Sounds like a completely different game than the single player. From what you describe, it sounds as though you could have several teams on a map trying to capture flags or accumulate points through a deathmatch? Can a team choose which map they want to play on? I bet there are some disturbing people out there?

3. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

Having the headphone helps alot especially when the group you are playing against is well orgnized and you have objectives to hold or take like in domination.

In game, you only have to listen to your teammates, which normally isn't that bad unless you get a singer or the kid that was on with me over the weekend who kept shouting the "N" word over and over again...in the Lobby before and after there is usually a fair amount of **** being talked.

The great gun/ map debate troubles me as well. I have found that you never want to go into the Shipment map with any less that a Machine gun, preferrable a M249 or higher. Usually, I carry either an M4 or G3 on the medium sized map depending on which challenge I'm working on, for large maps, I've tried with very limited success to snipe, but I usually get frustrated and change classes then get killed and go with the new weapons set, unless I pick up something off a corpse which is another tried and true tactic.

You earn scopes and attachments as you master challenges. For the M16 and M4 I think you have to get 25 kills to earn the red dot, 50 gets you a grip (I think) and 75 earns you the ACOG scope, which I have yet to see the value in since it seems to reduce your accuracy from the red-dot at medium to close distances. I've really fallen in love with the G3 which is a single shot semi, but it packs some punch and is more accurate than the others. There's only a couple of maps I'll use it on since it's not good for close encounters. Hope this helps and to catch up with you online again.

[​IMG] Danno

4. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

It can be as intense or stressful as you want depending on how seriously you take it.

Yes, it's completely different from Single Player, but in a good way. All the matches I've played have only had two teams. I don't know if you can have more than that. Someone with more rank may no more than I do...

As for the maps, thats one thing that kind of stinks. In the Lobby pregame you and your fellow players can vote to skip a given map, but you have to play the next map whether you want to play it or not. It would be awesome to have the ability to choose definitively.

There are some real freaks, the other night there was a guy trying to set up as a sniper. I figured out where he was setting up and offed him three times in a row...for the rest of the match every time I looked up he was trying to chase me down and knife me, like I had personally insulted him. I would have loved to have had "eavesdrop" just to hear what he was saying. I meant to ask Astro what he was saying because they were on the same team...

Most of the folks though seem fairly normal and are just looking to have a good time. Some sing, others tell jokes, some want to share their lives' story and still others just want to tell you where the enemy is or call for backup.

It does seem in the last couple of days that there are fewer kids on and more females...though. Anyone else notice this?

[​IMG] Danno

5. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

My KDR sucks.

I don't care. I just like leveling up guns. So my entire goal is to get 150 kills with a gun, and then move to the next one. There are other perks you can get for headshots, but I don't really care about the different camo patterns.

And I suck at deathmatch games, but I'm pretty good at objective based games. I have been consistently getting in the top 2-3 spots playing Domination this week. But school starts back up on Monday, doubt I'll be playing as much then.

6. chillywillywall

chillywillywall 100+ Posts

i got ps3, lebowski14. im also up for any games on madden

7. Chico_SA

Chico_SA 25+ Posts

Cable hooked up Sat afternoon. I will look for ya'll Sat night after I pick up something good to drink.

8. wild_turkey

wild_turkey 250+ Posts

Wow this thread has really grown since a couple days ago. I'll be playing Friday night if anyone is interested.

9. GarCiaRia

GarCiaRia 100+ Posts

has anybody lost rankings??? Two nights ago I turned off the Xbox with a ranking of an 18 (just starting). Got some good upgrades, etc. Last night I logged on and I got knocked down to an 8!!!! I had lost quite a bit of upgrade. I turned off and on my Xbox and logged on again and I was still at the 8. Has anybody seen this??? I played catch up all last night trying to get some levleling back. I'm back up to a 14 now. Its like it lost my playing of a couple of nights. My tag is Brown Wall [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. brandons87

brandons87 250+ Posts

I want to buy this game. However i really want to work in teams and use strategy,not just run around and kill people randomly. that gets old after awhile.

Listening to screaming 10 year olds dropping F and N bombs all over the place sucks too. There are a lot of racist fucks out there and it all comes out during anonymous internet games.

11. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

When they did the server upgrades earlier in the week I noticed that my clan tag and custom weapons settings were blanked out and my rank was missing for a while. However, everything came back to normal after a day or so.

Loosing XP and rank like that would suck! Hope they restore it...

[​IMG] Danno

12. travo

travo < 25 Posts

What do y'all think is the better aiming mechanism the red dot or the scope? Particularly for the M16. Any thoughts on this?

13. Hogie23

Hogie23 < 25 Posts

14. Hogie23

Hogie23 < 25 Posts

I'm sitting here watching the GB SEA game.. a snow game at that.. but all the COD4 talk has got my blood up...Screw it, can't hold on, must blow things up...See ya in the Bog!!

15. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

I prefer the red dot, the ACOG only seems to help at a vey long distance.

[​IMG] Danno

16. wild_turkey

wild_turkey 250+ Posts

Danno, I kept getting your party invites last night but it would give me an error message that the server was full. Maybe next time we'll have better luck.

17. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

yeah, last night the server was acting all kinds of funny. i went in to about 10 games that ended as a draw since they ended immediately, and a few deathmatches would end in a minute or two (pissed me off because i was playing well!). lots of server full messages over here as well.

thanks to astrohorn for bringing me along a few times. had a good night, leveled up out of the single digits and i'm now rocking a pretty sweet m16 setup. i think this week i'll be getting my m4 up to speed.

18. TexHorn06

TexHorn06 25+ Posts

So does anyone actually play on the 360?

19. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Looks like lots of people on this thread do.

I'm hairy scotsmn.

20. TexHorn06

TexHorn06 25+ Posts

I'm on XBox Live as TexJDT

21. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I didn't realize that a someone playing on a PS3 could play with someone on a XBOX. Does one have an advantage over the other?

22. GarCiaRia

GarCiaRia 100+ Posts

I never got my level back. Instead, I earned it back over the last couple of days. What a mystery.

BTW, I picked up H3 this morning and played one team slayer game. I did really well, but switched back to COD4 right away.

As for the punk *** 10 yo's, they seem to be more prevelant in H3, at least more vocal. Seems like there is an older crowd in COD4. I could be wrong.

The one problem I seem to have is joining my buddies. Seems alot harder to team up with others that you know. I haven't had much luck with it. So I mostly play team mercenary. GT= Brown Wall

23. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

I keep having trouble jumping in on party invites. a lot of times it will tell me the server is full, or the connection to the server is lost. anyone else having that problem?

i'm really not ignoring requests, they just aren't working right.

24. someone

someone 250+ Posts

"I keep having trouble jumping in on party invites. a lot of times it will tell me the server is full, "

I get that as well. Some of the rooms fill up pretty quick so if you don't get in right away they might fill up.

25. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

The whole missing invites thing has been an issue all weekend. Sorry Snives, Turkey and Bmoore...everytime I'd try and get you in I'd get booted all the way back to the Main game screen and then when I'd try and join y'all I'd get that fun Server Error Message.

Hopefully things will smooth out soon. Looking forward to catching up with y'all soon.

I don't what this says about me or this game, but I've been on this site for @ least six years and never posted this much!

[​IMG] Danno

26. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

I have some cleaning to do, but hopefully I can make it online later this evening...

27. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

f-ing thank you notes from the wedding. there's no way i can get on while my wife is in here with me, but maybe i can sneak back out here after she falls asleep.

28. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

I too have the wife situation, thankfully we don't have any friggin Thank You notes these days, but trust me there is always something.

My solution: Blackstone Merlot. 2-3 glasses is recommended, the secret is to make her think you are pampering her. "Her baby just have another glass, don't worry about the &#60;insert mundane housemaking activity here&#62; tonight, you deserve some time to just relax, why don't you go put on your comfy PJ's and dive into that &#60;insert HGTV, Style, LMN or Oxygen&#62; marathon they've got going on. I'll be joining you in about a half an hour."

...30 minutes later she's blissfully asleep and you're rockin' some n00bs in a fire fight! It's a strategy that has worked for me now for three weeks straight.

Of course, I do have mandatory chores still (my yard was finished in a record 28 mins on Sat.) and Fri. and Sat. PM I've had to set aside a few hours for FNL/ Date NIght activities, but after that CoD4 was in full effect until 3 AM. Bliss!!!

[​IMG] Danno

29. GarCiaRia

GarCiaRia 100+ Posts

HookemDanno,

Great strategy. I found myself playing for hours yesterday. I need to get a better spousal strategy or else I'm sleeping alone tonight. Looks like I'm buying wine at lunch!!

30. Turd of Doom

Turd of Doom 250+ Posts

Ratio is up to 1.28. I play 360, name is mendelbaum. We need to start a 360 clan, I recommend we use the name dojo.