Gov. Mark Sanford (R) S. Carolina in hiding?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Summerof79, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

Sort of an odd story. The governor has disappeared, and nobody will say where he is. His wife doesn't know where he is, the Lt Governor doesn't know where he is. Apparently somebody on his staff has said they know where he is, but they won't comment to the press about the assertion.

Just a really odd thing to me. Any Married man here spend many Father's days without the family knowing where they were? Anyhow just an odd story. The guy is the Chairman of the Republican Governor's Association, and thus a fairly high profile politician with some rumblings of potential 2012 Presidential aspirations, though he has been quoted as saying he wasn't going to run again. That may have been in reference to the Gov's office though.

Anyhow just an odd story.

2. MTF

MTF 1,000+ Posts

Saw that. Weird story. Hope he's ok.

3. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

I can understand wanting to get away or looking for a moment of quiet reflection or recharging, but having nobody having a clue where you are? A governor of a state?

Or is this a: "we know, but we are not telling, we know" kind of thing?

I figure, he has got to be OK, right?

4. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

The assertion that he "needed to write something" was sort of weird to me.

5. Rio Frio

Rio Frio 250+ Posts

In reply to:

6. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

That is weird. I was sort of "meh" until I saw the quote from his wife.

7. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

Sounds like it is probably just a "big to-do over nothing" and just mishandled by his staff a tad

...and to work on a couple of projects that have fallen by the wayside.

A lego model of Paris?
    Re-organizing his Topps baseball card collection ('73-'78)?
    Dry macaroni art project?

I hope he really is OK, or i am going to come off looking like a complete a-hole.

8. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Makes me think it is either drug rehab or gay prostitute related.

9. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

He was probably chilling out with Vince.

10. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

From the Rio Frio Link- {quote]Neither the governor’s office nor the State Law Enforcement Division, which provides security for governors, had been able to reach Sanford after he left the mansion Thursday in a black SLED Suburban SUV

11. DeadHorse

DeadHorse 1,000+ Posts

12. Heretic Horn

Heretic Horn 250+ Posts

13. MTF

MTF 1,000+ Posts

Apparently Sanford went hiking the Appalachian Trial without telling anyone. And even weirder, it happened to be Naking Hiking Day.

14. Heretic Horn

Heretic Horn 250+ Posts

15. johnny chimpo

johnny chimpo 500+ Posts

Dude went on a walkabout.

16. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

South America... Plastic surgery maybe? If he comes back with a tighter face and and his eyebrows raised this will tell us all we need to know.

Seriously.. he told his staff: "he might hike the Appalachian Trail" but ended up in South America instead? This is really odd behavior. Something is up, and Sanford really wishes it would all go away.

Would your wife and children be a tad concerned/miffed that you weren't where you would say you would be on Father's Day weekend?

"Oh, honey, i wasn't hiking, i was on another continent. Is that bad? Are you upset i decided to do something "exotic" while you are here in SC looking after Marshall, Landon, Bolton and Blake?"

I would have one pissed off wife on my hands.

17. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

wow. a person who has been under the constant eye of the media wanted to NOT tell anyone where he really was, and have some private time away from the media. Shocker.

I don't blame politicians of either party, or celebrities for wanting to get away. Imagine how annoying it was for Obama when he just wanted to go away for a few days to Hawaii with his family... there is constant media coverage from Obama on the beach?! Get real and give them all a bit of a private life.

18. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

19. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

don't hate him for being a superhero.

20. DeadHorse

DeadHorse 1,000+ Posts

Maybe he's a South American drug mule and flew back into the country with cocaine filled balloons up his ***.

21. Ramius

Ramius 250+ Posts

Just held a presser announcing an affair and his resignation.

Key word here being....

RESIGNATION

22. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

holy crap!!! Sanford admits to an affair.

man.

23. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Well,
    I more to cause faith to be lost in politicians. Gov Sanford admits he has been unfaithful to his wife. ***

24. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

Key words here being....

Resign as head of the Republican Governors' Association.
    The Link

25. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

a rendevouz with his mistress on Father's Day weekend, He has four sons.

26. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"wow. a person who has been under the constant eye of the media wanted to NOT tell anyone where he really was, and have some private time away from the media. Shocker."

Sanford admits infidelity, apologizes to family. The Link

Every husband should be entitled to a little "private time" to leave the country for some strange.

27. MTF

MTF 1,000+ Posts

Sad press conference to watch. Did he say that he broke off the relationship? I got the impression that it is still ongoing.

In any event, it's a shame that the public cares so much about the personal lives of politicians. The issue here, to me, is primarily his disappearing for several days to Argentina without his security detail and without contacting his office, which strikes me as very irresponsible leadership. Not to mention lying to his office about going to the Appalachian Trail. But, then again, I'm unfamiliar with his public stances on "family values" issues, which raises the hypocrisy question. I'm sure we'll hear more about that soon enough.

Kudos to him, by the way, for being so honest and heartfelt in the presser. I really don't think I've seen anything like it before.

28. Murphy'sBoy

Murphy'sBoy 1,000+ Posts

a rendevouz with his mistress on Father's Day weekend, He has four sons.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    and we have now have someone to give Edwards a run for his money

29. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

Disagree with his politics, and obviously some hypocrisy, but that press conference was about as honest and frank as it could have been.

30. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

the plane ride back home, must have seemed like a very long, long flight.