Grading the Team's Performance-Week 12

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Hpslugga, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

Which leads me directly to the Final Report Card

[​IMG]

There are schools who punish people with expulsion for results like this, and given that it was 3 years of the same ****, UT had no choice.

I'm absolutely excited about the Herman hire. I have no doubt that he's going to bust his *** to put together a kick-*** staff, which is his very first job when he sets foot on campus.

For the players who mentioned boycotting this game, they may as well have. I did not see a single performance (again other than D'Onta Foreman and Michael Dickson) that would have justified such nonsense, and to my understanding, neither one of them were tweeting such nonsense. If you're going to throw a hissy shitfit temper tantrum about your coach possibly getting canned, you'd damn well better bust your *** in the next game because that's the last rally. I saw none of that, and let's get ******* real about one thing: TCU is not a good football team. Their record is proof enough, but the thing is I've been watching them all year. Kenny Hill is a horrific QB that makes ridiculous decisions with his arm and their defense in general is mediocre at best. It's not like they got all mad but ran into the '95 Huskers, or even the '00 Sooners. This team proved that they have no ******* desire. That **** is going to change with the new regime.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I was so looking forward to this post.

3. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

HPSlugga in your esteemed opinion who does Herman need at OC?

4. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

Ultimately that responsibility falls to him so the only bar he has to clear is "don't bring/hire a complete moron." I'd even be ok with him bringing Major along because his role would be considerably less than what it was in 2013. The arrangement will basically be like Bedford with Strong: DC in name only with ultimate responsibility lying with the HC.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Major calls plays at U of H, so I would imagine that he would call plays at Texas and Herman would be greatly involved with the game plan like Mack was... so I am not sure how different it would be from 2013. However, Major has not even been hired so let's see who Herman hires.

6. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

Here's the difference:

Mack had a stone-aged mentality offensively. Herman runs an actual offense that works in the 21st century. You'd rather have all decisions lie with the latter than the former with the same guy principly calling plays.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

One interesting thing your "Herman is modern" point made me think of, look at the ages of the coaches we have hired:

No coach prior to Chevigny was over 50.
    Jack Chevigny was 28.
    Dana Bible was 46
    Blair Cherry was 46
    Ed Price was 42
    DKR was 33.
    Fred Akers was 40.
    David McWilliams was 45.
    Mackovic was 49.
    Mack Brown was 47 when we hired him in 1998 and 59 in 2010.
    Charlie Strong was 54 when we hired him and 56 when we fired him.
    Tom Herman is only 41.

I like Larry Fedora, but Fedora is 54 and Nick Saban is 65.

Strong was the oldest coach we have ever hired. With Strong, we went with an older coach that was near the end of his career. Strong's next coaching job will likely be his last unless he decides to coach forever like Snyder or Paterno. Mack was 54 when he had his best season in 2005 and Charlie was 52 in 2011 or 53 in 2012 when he had his best season. Strong was an old dog trying to learn new tricks while trying to start over at a new program. When Brown or Saban were/are trying to learn new tricks, they were/are doing so with programs they had already built. I never thought about this before, but there were warning signs like this Strong was not going to work. There may be something to the "bad fit" argument since he was an older guy trying to learn Big 12 offenses.

I'll also add Strong had to take the Texas job. He was in in 50s and had to take a big job before he ran out of time. He was not just fighting for his job to fight for it, this job was probably his last shot at a national title.

With Herman, we have gone back to hiring a guy younger than 50 that is fresh and has the potential to be here for 20 years. I do not like the age thing 100% and did not agree with that as a reason to fire Mack since Saban is the same age as Mack (65) and is still winning and Snyder has continued to win. However, it is something interesting and it is interesting we have gone back to a younger coach after the Strong hire. It seems likely Herman and Applewhite (who is 38 if we get him), are still young enough to build, adjust and learn new tricks. We will see though. As you can see in the list above, not all the young coaches succeeded.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Offense finishing the year with back to back 3 for 20s. Yikes.

And yes, Kenny Hill is a very poor passer. Most of his incompletions were off-target misfires.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I like the offense that has the legitimate threat of a running, and throwing QB.

Look at what Hurts (a Texas guy) and Barrett (another Texas guy) did in their games yesterday and all season long. There are a lot of QB's like that in Texas, and hopefully Herman will have them lining up to come to Texas and not letting them go OOS.

10. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

Yeah they had a sizable advantage on the defense for most of the year but that all but literally disappeared after the Rectum Tech game

11. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

We have a great running QB on the team now. Heard. His passing was below average, we all know. Wonder if great a QB coach could make a difference. I understand that TH is a great QB coach as well as a great offensive mind.

Anyone got any ideas about this?

• Like Like x 1
  12. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

Like to see a great throwing QB. leave the running to the running back. McCoy is as close as we have had in 40 years. Why does UT never get a true first round type thrower?

13. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

With the field as spread out as it is in todays games, it is an advantage to make the defense account for your QB as a runner.

There are a lot of opportunities for designed plays, and yards to be made when receivers are not open. A true dual threat QB puts a lot of pressure on a defense.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Herman to be on Mike & Mike coming in this 1/2 hour

15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Colt was clearly a pass-first guy, but we won several games (Ohio State 2008 and Texas A&M 2009 come to mind) in large part due to his running.

• Like Like x 1
  16. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i think special athletes break the mold on pass/run debates (VY and Johnny). I would always pick the special athletes first. Kyler Murray is too little to be on that level without being a very good passer.

17. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

I'm talking about an Elway, Staubach or Aikman. True athletes who can scramble 3 or 4 times per game, generally for a key first down. But, they are strong enough to throw a 15 yd out or a 20 yd slant and are feared because they can pilot a syphosticated passing game.
    Most of our "dual" threat guys are not really great passers.

18. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

Oh. You mean NFL Hall of Fame caliber QBs. Like the ones you never see at Bama.:smile1:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Bobby Layne was a pretty good NFL QB.

Chris Simms would have probably had a long career if it were not for the health problems. I do not know that he would have ever won a super bowl or anything like that, just he probably would have been a long term starter.

• Like Like x 2
  20. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

What Colt brought was good legs but certainly not a 'running' quarterback. His thing was being able to see down field and accurately hit the receiver while on the run. Imho

21. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

Hall of fame guys are rare. We don't even recruit pass first guys who could become NFL QBs. With the caliber of players UT could attract at WR and offense if we became a pro style offense we would kill. We have never had a coach to do it.

22. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

When it comes to scrambling, one of these things is not like the other...

23. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Man. Those are some piss poor grades, but they are also par for the last 3 seasons.

Well, the CS era is over. According to Herman's presser, our new coach made it clear that the players are going to have to come ready to work hard because winning is very hard. I'll be interested to see who is full-in and who runs away. They are going to be in for a bit of a shock from what I've read about TH. And that's a good thing!

• Like Like x 1
  24. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

NOT Watson!! :yikes:

• Like Like x 1
  25. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Or Gilbert. heard he is not retaining him, though, thankfully.

• Like Like x 2