Grading the Team's Performance-Week 2

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Hpslugga, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

Speak among yourselves

• Like Like x 3
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Foreman fumbled a punt but recovered it.

4. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Wish that was next week's sheet...one can dream.

5. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Wonder when the last time we had that score?

6. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

We scored a 32/35 in the Big 12 CCG of 2005. That has to be the closest one.

7. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I'm surprised "Return 1 kickoff past our 40" is a big deal. They kicked to us once. I would think having below a certain number would negate it.

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

I know it was an over-matched opponent, but a shut out is a shut out.

• Like Like x 6
  10. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

It was a good win. Guys needed to mud hole sjsu and they did. congrats to them:hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I don't know if margin of blowout games means anything at all. That's the type of logic that was used to say that 2008 Oklahoma was better than 2008 Texas.

12. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I dont think Ive ever seen a category ever completely checked off. Ever.

Has it ever happened with any Texas team youve graded before?

13. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I agree with you Stat, but i heard another fan make this same point after the game in a different way. He was more focussed on the fact we won easily, won by a lot, and on the overall had a pretty complete game. That just never seemed to happen under Strong and we never beat anybody by 40+ like we usually would at least once a year in the Mack Brown days. We never seemed to go out and dominate anyone like we did today. I am a bit impressed we were playing a shaky true freshman QB and were obviously practicing, but still completely dominated San Jose State.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I think at this moment in time, we are going to hang onto whatever we can

• Like Like x 3
  15. horninchicago

I think MOV over teams like SJSU means something. Hell, the last 3 years, we had exactly one shutout. 23-0 against KU in 2014. I remember feeling like, yeah great, we shut them out, but we won by only 23.

So, not only did we get a shutout, but a 56 point win, the largest MOV since 2009, I think I read, is significant.

It means we mopped the floor with a team we should mop the floor with. I am gruntled.

• Like Like x 5
  16. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

LOL. hat tip.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I cannot remember seeing a perfect score on HP's sheet for any individual unit, but the defense did it yesterday. Gruntled indeed!

• Like Like x 3
  18. kobs1776

kobs1776 100+ Posts

New favorite word "gruntled"

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

It's not
    It doesn't.

The goal isn't 100%. I know I'm repeating myself for like the 500th time, but 100% isn't a realistic goal. I've only seen it once in my whole life and that was a high school game. The fact that they missed on that isn't a big deal, and it's not even their fault that they missed it. The only thing that matters is context.

Did they not get it because there was 1 kick that went for a TB?
    Did they not get it because there were 10 kicks that all went for TB's?
    Did they not get it because there was 1 actual return that only barely broke the 20?
    Did they not get it because there were 10 returns, all of which were stopped behind the 30?

Each possibility tells a very different story, both of the game and the kick return situation. The only thing you can go by is "did you do it or not?" If the answer is no, you then ask why. If you say "because there was only 1 kick and it went clear through the endzone," ok, that's still a "red" on the grade chart but it's not a "big deal." I mean I'm not going to sit there and ***** about how the ST coach sucks because they couldn't return a single, un-returnable kick. I would ***** if we had 10 returns and none past the 40. Context matters.

This isn't No Child Left Behind and we're not here to try to raise the grade as high as possible to make us feel good about ourselves. The fact that they missed on that particular metric means absolutely nothing to me in this particular context. But the fact is that they didn't achieve it, and I'm not going to sit here and pretend that they did or some ridiculous "compromise" between the two. That would be pointless.

I mean seriously, what difference does it make? Ok, so say I add a third color that gives half credit. In the big picture, what serious difference is there between 43/50 and 43.5/50? On a scale of 100, you're talking about 86 vs. 87.
    2014 UNT had a 20/20 on defense.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

What made that stupid wasn't that it was being used. It was that the latter defeated the former by double digits. The only reason OU got into the CCG was because the Big 12 was too stupid to draft up a red herring policy like the SEC and ACC had (and still have) in place. The latter 2 would have looked at it and said "Texas Tech is a red herring, they don't belong in the equation, we're just looking at Texas and OU," and OU would end up losing.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Sangre Naranjada

Given that the offense only missed on 2 metrics, and taking the context of the game into account, I cannot see any "big deals" on that side of the ball either. So a true freshman starting his first game had less than 62% completions and a passer rating below 149. It wasn't a big deal. Now, had the two potential INTs actually become INTs, we would have some serious issues to discuss even though there would have only been one more red line on the offensive side of the chart.

Context matters indeed.

22. horninchicago

I tried to form my post in as constructive a manner possible. It was not meant to suggest you should change anything. It was just a question.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

Right and I would also add the facts that 1) he did not turn over the ball and 2) he picked up a meaningful number of yards and first downs on the ground to adequately offset those red marks.

Yeah he wasn't the most efficient thrower, but if you're gonna get an 18/20, you'd much rather see it this way than "Win" and "2- turnovers" being the 2 reds.

24. horninchicago

That is why I put in the last sentence of my post. That does offer context. If you disagree, fine, do it in a constructive way.

Yep, that's why I put in my last sentence.

25. Sangre Naranjada

Chicago,
    I was just finding another way to agree with slugga's point. My apologies if you took it as piling on to your post. I did not mean it that way.

• Like Like x 2
  26. horninchicago

No worries. I didn't. :beertoast:

27. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

While the defense did play much better, at the game it didn't quite feel like a 20 for 20 performance. I saw more than a few open receivers, and had the QB -- who, by the way, has one heck of an arm -- had been only so slightly more accurate on the long ball, he would have completed at least two of 40-50 yards. Each time the WR had plenty of separation.

Interestingly, Herman singled out the secondary as having shown considerable improvement. That surprised me based on what I saw yesterday. They better keep improving, and fast, or Donald will shread them in 6 days.

• Like Like x 1
  28. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I'm guessing he'll watch film and differentiate the CBs from the Safeties

29. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I don't think we are going to put enough pressure on donald to get him rattled. And we must. I also don't think we can stop their run game either. Yea doom and gloom. Sorry...I am hoping we get enough wins for a bowl game but this aint going to be one of them. On another note i sure hope we didn't play carter and he gets few carries the rest of the season. We have done that before with some players.

30. Sangre Naranjada

We have different coaches now.

Also, Carter burned his shirt last week on special teams anyway so we didn't throw away a redshirt just so he could get a few carries against a patsy.

• Like Like x 2