Grading the Team's Performance-Week 5

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Hpslugga, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

I'm generally going to forego a lot of commentary for 1 reason which I'll address at the end

Offense: Look, Ehlinger is the guy. I'm sorry but this jury is very much in. He's rough around the edges but he gets **** done and he's ******* tough as nails.

Defense: Bad night but Ertz is a good QB and when Snyder has a guy like that, the Cats are a headache to deal with. We did slow them down for a large portion of the middle of the game and that made a huge difference.

Special Teams: Best game I've seen in the last few years, sans for the ******* field goal kicking.

Here's why I'm short on commentary: I already forgot about this game. BEAT ******* OU!!!

• Like Like x 9
  2. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Thanks HP!
    It's 8:17 AM and :ousucks::ousucksnana::ousucks::ousucksnana::ousucks:

• Like Like x 1
  3. 806 Horn

806 Horn 25+ Posts

KState is a case of hemorrhoids.
    I am not looking forward to dealing with that QB they ran out there when Ertz was dinged. I couldn't believe Ertz ever saw the field again with the way that kid came in and changed the speed of the game. That was going from Charlie Hough to Nolan Ryan.

• Like Like x 2
  4. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Playing a well coached team makes a difference. If their QB plays smart, their RBs hold on to the ball, and their punt coverage is solid, some of these metrics will be hard to hit.

If we had a solid kicker and coach wasn't such a ballz out go-for-it on 4th guy, some of these would be better too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rick mueller

Have to wonder what would have happened if he had started. With Ertz being unable to run, I'm afraid it would have been a different game.

6. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

Oh there's no question.

We lost out on the 4th down conversion, green zone and red zone metrics alone on just two plays: the failed 4th down and the short missed FG. Also, had we got the TD on that 4th down, I'm pretty sure we'd also get the 13- yards per point and the .470 points per play (because less plays would have been run, given OT wouldn't have been played and we'd have 37 points in regulation on fewer plays). Seriously, that's 5 red boxes on 2 plays. That lifts it to 14 and all we'd be doing here is bitching about the defense.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BigBull

BigBull 25+ Posts

What happened to Armanti Foreman? Did he even play?

8. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Thanks HP!

I had to "tape delay" as my trip got back to DFW at 1930 ... I proceeded home ... without delay. Couldn't believe I didn't see the end of the game until just before midnight ... and I was skipping commercials! ... 5 minute halftime for eats/etc.

Tough game and proud of the team. If Warren didn't earn a bigger piece of the future running game last night ... then there must really be a personal issue in play. he LITERALLY was the game winner.

HOOK 'EM!

9. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Nope and we didn't seem to need him. Mapps was all over the place. Our WRs are deep.

His dad wasnt happy however.

10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Our offense was oddly streaky. We scored nothing in the first quarter, then scored 3 straight TDs in the second. Then in the second half we punted twice and attempted a FG four times. We were moving the ball ok, but not finishing, and to me it looked like we were "going to the well too often".

Our 3rd to last drive of regulation had a couple of decent runs/scrambles by Ehlinger, and so then we called several consecutive runs for him, which were stopped.

Our 2nd to last drive we called almost exclusively quick slants. At first they were successful most of the time and we were catching the ball in space, but then KSU DBs realized we were doing the same thing every play and started jumping the routes, and 3 of our last 4 slants were incomplete, all because their DB hit our WR the instant the ball got there.

Maybe it's a little too much hindsight, after all just because a play fails doesn't mean the call was bad. But it seems like both of those drives had a "Hey this worked a couple of times, let's call it over and over and not mix in much else" mindset to them.

Delton couldn't pass worth a damn (although Orlando didn't seem to realize this), so I think it made sense that they brought Ertz back in for the 1-minute drill.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I have changed my weekly gripe from "Warren needs more carries" to "Carter needs more carries".

• Like Like x 1
  12. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

yes ... I liked Carter's performance, too.

IDK why, but I'm still on Warren's A list ... or VV whatever.

I'd like to see what would happen with 25 x 3.8 ypc ... I'm gonna guess the average would begin to increase as game time increased. I could be wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  13. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I agree with running more, in theory and in spirit, but the more I see the patchwork O-line trying to figure it out, the more i'm ok with all the QB utilization.

14. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I don't know the stats but he did not look particularly effect against KSt.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

16. rick mueller

Way to go DE!:hookem:

17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I noticed that Warren and Porter pretty much only carried the ball up the middle, while Carter usually ran to the outside. So it could also be KSU was more vulnerable to the outside runs, or we just don't block well enough for the inside runs to be as effective. It could be Carter, too, but I'm not sure of that yet.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1