Graduation presents

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by HornHawk, May 6, 2009.

1. HornHawk

HornHawk 250+ Posts

My daughter is a senior this year, and we have started receiving a barrage of graduation announcements. I have already counted 15 and I'm guessing we'll be receiving another 25 to 30 more. I could easily go broke giving graduation presents for everyone we receive an announcement from. What is the standard protocol here? If you're not buying a present, do you send a card with a nice note instead? I don't want to be a cheapskate, but my God, spending $25 on 40 to 50 kids seems a little stupid.

We only sent announcements to our family and close friends---none to the family of classmates.

What does everyone here do for graduating seniors?

2. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

Buy her group of friends a keg, asusming you are talking college graduation. Or just ignore them.

3. JuniorHorn11

JuniorHorn11 25+ Posts

I would say if you have met the friend or if they are really close to your daughter and or family, then buy them something like a $25 gift card. If not, ignore them.

4. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

If they are classmates of your daughter and you did not send them one too, I would not bother with it.

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

If they are males, condoms. Females, dams.

Yer welcome.

6. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Ideally, graduation announcements would be sent to those close enough to the graduate that they would be likely to want to attend the graduation, instead of sent out by the bushel to all acquaintences.
    You don't owe them a gift, but if you feel close enough to them, it is a nice thing to do. Otherwise, a congratulatory card is fine. I don't think everyone who receives a card is expected to send a gift.

7. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

I may be wrong, but there's a difference between an announcement and an invitation to the graduation. I was under the impression that you give gifts only if you get an invititaion, not an announcement.A graduation announcement is kinda like a birth announcement. You send it to everyone you know just cause you're proud, not becuase you expect something.

8. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

I'm kind of a jerk but I only send graduation gifts to family and it's usually a substantial check to help them on their way.

9. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts