Grande + wireless router

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by orangebones, Dec 4, 2006.

1. orangebones

orangebones 500+ Posts

I got tired of being tooled around by TWC a while back and switched to Grande. The only drawback thus far is that they installed the HS internet in a "fiber to the home" setup. I don't exactly understand what that means, other than the fact that I no longer have a modem (edit: sorry, i confoosed the devices).

The problem is that my wireless router (a netgear POS) isn't agreeing with the signal, and because there is no modem, the typical setup process where you restart the modem isn't applicable. The Grande people say that there shouldn't be a problem hooking up wireless, so I'm guessing that either there must be some way to make it work, or I just need to go buy a non-crapass wireless router.

Any suggestions?

2. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

Sounds like you traded getting tooled around by TWC for getting tooled around by Grande. Have you verified a working internet connection at all? Always start with a wired connection, and go from there. If you can't get it to work when physically connected to the wireless router, then the wireless part won't work either.

What exactly did they install in your home? You say that there is no router. What is there?

3. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

4. Ditto to the above. Grande and router. No problems.

I was having trouble with my cable box but they had brought me a HD one when I did not need it. I should clarify, dvr box. It got swapped out and not a problem at all. I have not once ever had a problem with Grande's customer service or quality of work. Not once.

Time Warner had me going the very first day they never showed when they said they would. The second day was worse and worse yet was the third no show day. F TW.

Grande all the way, ese.

MrMyke will prob. have your answer when he awakens.

5. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

Wait, when did Grande get Fiber service?? I thought Verizon (and maybe ATT) was the only one offering that technology?

6. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

I looked into Grande, up to talking to a sales rep.
    I had asked him about migrating to their service using my existing router.
    If your installation has a wall plate (the sales rep said they install one) so that you can plug in a ethernet cable (RJ-45) - then that cable must plug into one of your unused wireless routers' ports.

If your looking for a way to access Grandes' box from internet Explorer- try this -
    From Windows, do a Start > Run. type in 'cmd'.
    A command window will open up.
    Type 'ipconfig/all'.
    You should get a bunch of lines. Look for the line labeled "Default Gateway" (on the right). there will be an IP address - maybe 192.168.1.1 (or something like this).
    Write it down, or do a copy.
    Then open your browser, and put it the IP address into the address bar.
    That should get you access to the settings from Grandes' equipment - if they have a web configurement.
    Then take it from there. You may have to research Grandes' setup more - I hesitate to go further, but sounds like you might be able to Reset the thing, at the least.

[Grandes' 'fiber to the house' setup = mounting their (modem) box on the outside of your house, then running a ethernet cable to the inside, to a wall plate. At least thats what the rep. told me - instead of a cable modem sitting inside your place. So you have to have a, at least, a ethernet cable fom the wall plate to your wireless router to make the connection.
    I'm only guessing that their box can be accessed from IE.]

Did Grande outfit you with something they said was 'wireless' ?

7. orangebones

orangebones 500+ Posts

thanks for the replies. the wired connection is great...it's fast as all get-out and i've never had any connectivity problems with it.

14tokihorn, that is my setup - a box outside with with a wall plate. when i plug the cable into my laptop, it works great. when i plug it into the wireless router, it doesn't. i am at work right now, but when i get home i'll try the suggestions and give an update.

as for customer service, i couldn't be more pleased thus far. everyone i've dealt with has been friendly, and i've never waited more than a minute or so to talk to a rep. also, the packages are much more flexible than twc.

when i called to address this issue, the rep said she wasn't familiar with it. i've had issues with this router before, so i told her i'd see what i could find out. she gave me her direct line and told me to call back if i was still having problems. so, that's what i'm doing here.

warning: TWC rant unrelated to my router issue
    with TWC, i'd sit on the phone for 30 min just to talk to someone who would pass me to someone else, who usually was the wrong person. when they'd send out a tech, they were never on time.

finally, i had negotiated a good rate with TWC ($90/mo for digital phone/cable/internet)...it was good for a year, and then they hiked up to $150/mo. i told them i was going to have to switch to grande if they didn't extend the deal or cut me a new one. they didn't, and they were rude about it, so i switched. after i went through the inconvenience of switching, i get a call from the TWC retention department telling me that if i switch back, they'll give me my old services at 50% off. if they were willing to give me that big of a break, why didn't they cut a deal before i switched? it's like they were trying to call my bluff, hoping i wouldn't go through with the switch. well screw'em. i switched and i ain't going back to those monopolistic ********.

8. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

I assume the wireless router has wired ports as well. If so, see if you can get internet when connected to one of those ports.

If you can't, then make sure the WAN port of the router is configured for DHCP, or that the connection doesn't need to be refreshed. It is possible that it has an old static IP from the TWC connection.

If you can get to the internet when your computer is wired to the router, then you know that your issues are related to the wireless setup. If you can't get to the internet when wired to the router, then obviously there is an issue with the router.