Great Read On The Ice Bowl

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by doylehargraves, Jan 17, 2008.

1. doylehargraves

doylehargraves 500+ Posts

With Green Bay on the horizon, this is a great read by Frank Luksa on the Ice Bowl.
    The Link

2. scharnell

scharnell 1,000+ Posts

That was the first game my grandfather took my dad to when he was growing up. we could get through a football season without hearing the stories when they were around.

every year it got colder and wind blew harder. I think my dad's canteen of hot chocolate froze by the first quarter. [​IMG]

3. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

That is the reason I oppose domes. In a dome, it would have been just another good game. It would not have the aura that it has. Think about the Rams v. Titans Super Bowl. Came down to the last play just like the last one, but was no where near as epic because it was in a dome.

The Pats AFC championship games in the snow get more looks than the Super Bowl that followed. Say no to domes.

4. Mikeinthebox

Mikeinthebox 100+ Posts

Well, luckily for the Cowboys, they don't have to worry about that this year.

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

6. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT 100+ Posts

good read, thanks.

7. madscientist

madscientist 1,000+ Posts

i heard a story, i think as told by charlie waters on the ticket, that a teammate walked into his hotel room on sunday morning and threw a cup of water on the window, and it all froze before it rolled to the ground.

8. launceston

launceston 250+ Posts

I am sure a lot of those players are still feeling the effects of that game even today.

Bob Hayes running pass patterns with his hands in his pockets is a very vivid memory of that game.

9. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

10. utmck

utmck 500+ Posts

To this day my dad would root for Rusia over Green Bay after that fiasco..... kinda like the way I am about aggie.

11. WildWillie

WildWillie < 25 Posts

I was a junior in HS and that Sunday my dad and I left my grandparents house and Sunday Dinner aftermath to go back to our house and watch that game in a serious manner.

My dad was a staunch Cowboys fan and I was a Cowboys fan in training. When Fuzzy Thruston (maybe not?) pushed Jethro Pugh back into the end zone and Bart Starr ran into that spot for the winning TD, I blatantly emitted the F-bomb right in front of my dad. He just looked at me and said, "Yeah."

Some would say that I carry a grudge a little too long, but I still haven't forgiven the Cowboys for losing that game.

What a game. Domes suck.

12. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

13. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

14. launceston

launceston 250+ Posts

More on the game from Bob Lilly...

The Link

15. LoneStarSpur

LoneStarSpur 25+ Posts

I was 13. I cried. Second straight year the little Cowboys gave the mighty Green Bay Packers all they could handle in the championship game.

I guess those two games set the stage for the eventual America's Team thing.

I used to hate the Packers above all others until they went into the crapper for so long that I started feeling sorry for them. I'm a big Packers' fan this weekend for sure.

16. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

if that game had been played in a dome the Cowboys would have won by 3 TD's. They were physically the better team, by far. The weather worked against us that year, for sure.

17. win1

win1 25+ Posts

The Packers said they knew when it was going to be a running play because Bob Hayes would keep his hands in his jersey on running plays.

I have the game on cassette w/ the original commercials. One of the Dallas radio stations rebroadcast it a few years ago. Blackie Sherrod id the color. I assume it was Bill Mercer or Frank Glieber who did the play by play.

Andrie, #66, was my first ever autograph. I begged my stepfather to take me to the auto dealership where he did an appearance.

During those years I lived and died with every Cowboy loss. Those losses to the Packers led to the title "Next Year's Team". The Cowboys get credit for all their success in the 70's but they were soooo close to being the team of the 60's too.

18. rocat

rocat 25+ Posts

oh, and one other thing, just as long as we're being bitter...

Kramer became semi-famous for his block on Pugh, but I was watching a special on the game some years ago, and he mentioned that he should have been penalized for illegal procedure, because he beat the snap. He said someone from NFL Films had told him that once, and he argued that he just got a great jump. So the guy showed him a slo-mo of the play, and sure enough, he was moving prior to the ball. They showed it on the special, and that just made the whole memory that much worse...

19. BigOHorn

BigOHorn 100+ Posts

Dave Edwards lives across the street from me down at the lake started as a LB for the Boys in that game and he tells me stories of that game and others....

He said it was cold..[​IMG]