Great Time To Be a Longhorn

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by King of 40 Acres, Dec 9, 2008.

1. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres 25+ Posts

Football : AP #3 / ESPN #3
    Men's Basketball: AP #6 / ESPN #6
    Women's Basketball: AP #6 / ESPN #5

Baseball, Track & Field, Softball and Swimming & Diving programs give Texas the greatest athletic program in the country.

A credit to the administrators in our Athletic Department and most of all to each and every student-athlete. It ain't easy being this good. [​IMG]

Hook 'em
    [​IMG]

2. RJDriver

RJDriver 100+ Posts

3. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

most people expected us to be 8-4 right now.

wins over our three biggest rivals.

basketball rolls on without DJ.

[​IMG]

4. Soviet Union

Soviet Union 500+ Posts

I admire Texas for being one of the only athletic programs to be elite in football, basketball, and baseball.

Florida is another one.

Not too many others right now are elite in the big three...

5. That's Right

That's Right 500+ Posts

Volleyball still alive and in the Sweet 16 correct???

6. That's Right

That's Right 500+ Posts

Oh, and the coolest thing about this, is that dating back to about when TJ Ford stepped on Campus you culd look up the rankings at any random time and they may be very similar. i am so blessed to be growing up in the Golden Age of UT athletics. I hope this party never ends.

7. Touchdown_Texas

Touchdown_Texas 500+ Posts

V-ball currently a No. 1 seed in the Sweet 16, and should be as close to a lock for the Final Four/Championship Game. If V-ball doesn't do it, the No. 1 Swimming & Diving team should end our ridiculously long 2-year NC drought (the last being football).

Our swim team likes to win NCs in strings (89,90,91) (00,01,02), so look for us to bring home the NC for the next few years with our program now back to dominance.

Don't forget, our Men's Tennis team almost ended the drought last year but lost in the championship game.

Always good to be a Longhorn. [​IMG]

8. GabeRocksSocks

GabeRocksSocks 1,000+ Posts

There was that stretch in 05 when we were the NC in Baseball, #2 in Football, and #2 in Basketball.

Talk about domination across the big 3 sports.

9. That's Right

That's Right 500+ Posts

We had a softball pitcher who was alright around that same time.

10. The Creature

The Creature 100+ Posts

When I was young, this kind of record was a dream.

My thanks and admiration to the coaches and atheletes who made this happen. I'm damn proud of all of you.

11. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

12. DoobieWah

DoobieWah 500+ Posts

13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

14. starchild

starchild 500+ Posts

it's always a great time to be a longhorn fan.

15. Tama_Horn

Tama_Horn 250+ Posts

being good in the other big 2 sports really helps during the football offseason. [​IMG]

16. GabeRocksSocks

GabeRocksSocks 1,000+ Posts

I've been saying what that ESPN article has been saying for years now. We're a big time basketball school now, even if our fanbase doesn't realize it. When we dispatch teams like Villanova and UCLA regularly (with slight ease) year after year, when we lose AAA all-stars, you know we've reached the big time. Rick Barnes, when it's all said and done, is going to be our DKR on the hardwood.

All he needs to do is bring home the NC.

17. TEASIP84

TEASIP84 500+ Posts

I haven't gotten a chance to watch our basketball team very much...but it sounds like we have a descent shot at a run this year in the tourny

18. Chalupa72

Chalupa72 250+ Posts

I still remember the Tom Penders days when it was a big deal beating U of H. It's like night and day compared to what Rick Barnes is doing now. [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. That's Right

That's Right 500+ Posts

Let me explain the entire Tom Penders caoching philosophy in one sentence: If you shoot more shots than your opponent you should win.

Not the best strategy.

20. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I saw the title of this and thought I'd never known a time I didn't enjoy being a LONGHORN...
    Sure, every sport is doing well...but I stayed an yelled just as loud during all the down years...
    It's all about TEXAS and supporting the 'HORNS....win or lose...and you're right, it's a great time to be a LONGHORN....