Guitars You Own, or Have Owned

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by VYFan, May 27, 2013.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Yeah, restringing and tuning that thing was work! [​IMG]

I have this really old little device that has six pipes, one each for E, A, D, G, B and high E — you blow into each one to get the note for that string. It is so old-timey and funky but I have had it forever and never once used anything else to tune with. Once I get the top E string right I just tune the rest by ear with harmonics. I have never even tried to do it differently. Something about old dogs and new tricks here I suppose.

I get pretty good results with the capo except for the top E pairs, which get pulled a little towards the edge of the fretboard. They are just a bit off but it may be because the capo is smaller than what I need for 12 strings.

2. Gasman

Gasman 25+ Posts

Wow, as a noob to the guitar, that 12 string just looks intimidating.

VY, I have not handled PRS's acoustics, but if the attention to detail is anything like his electrics, I bet that thing is awesome.

3. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

Here's my Larrivee D-03E (bought circa 2007)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My gripe about the on-board pickups is that it's cool that it pops out to replace the 9v battery, but it needs to pop out a few more millimeters because the battery ends up rubbing against the body in order to get it out, leaving a few minor scratches

[​IMG]

Had the saddle replaced with a mikarta saddle by a local luthier

[​IMG]

4. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Fantastic!
    Is that sapele or mahogany?
    Do you play with a pick or your fingers?

Great photos.

5. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

Mahogany sides. I feel like i remember reading that they changed the tops on this model after i got mine. i know they use Canadian sitka spruce tops now, but I believe mine was a different type of spruce top

I mostly use picks, tend to like the thinner ones.

I shoved that low E pin back in the the bridge after I looked the pictures. [​IMG] Had just restrung it, so it makes sense it was sticking out a bit

6. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

My two-doors-down neighbor, who is mainly an excellent bass player, and plays guitar on the side (probably still far ahead of me on guitar), has a Larivee that I think may be the same as yours. We keep talking about him coming over to play together, so I'm hoping I'll get a chance to hear what the Larivees sound like.

7. gambler

gambler 25+ Posts

Is a semi hollow allowed?

[​IMG]

8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Beautiful. Is that a 335? The finish is gorgeous.

9. Mudcat35

Mudcat35 25+ Posts

I've owned a ton of guitars and basses over the years, but here's what's currently in the house (I'm mainly a bass player):

1964 Gibson acoustic
    2006 Warwick Corvette 4-string
    1987 Fender Precision Bass
    2004 Conklin GT-5 bass
    Strat-style partsacaster,modified pickups etc.
    Tele-style partsacaster, modified with 3 pickups and phase switching
    Single pickup Charvette (cheapie I picked up at a garage sale)

In the past I've had some interesting stuff like a 1957 Telecaster, 1975 Les Paul Custom, 1976 Les Paul Special, custom Mighty Mite neck-through strat, 1966 Rickenbacker 330. Those are all gone.

10. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts