Gulf Coast Showcase

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Nov 19, 2018.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Almost tipoff!

2. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Ugly game so far by Texas. Way too many turnovers--10 TO's in the first quarter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

sloppy play by the Horns. 10 TOs, 11 pts. Quinnipiac 19.
    Gave up too many 3s early and certainly too many TOs in the first quarters.

4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Rebound right through Charli's hands and then she commits a foul. Both she and Jatarie both have two fouls. Up to Olamide to finish this half.

5. LutherIsMyDog

This is not how we practice. This team looks totally out of sorts. 12 TOs now. QU are playing with more intensity. 26-11 Q up on Texas.

Higgs down with an injury.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hope that's not an ACL on Lashann.

7. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Man, that did not look good for Lashann. :(

8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Lashann carried off the court. Looked like she was holding her left knee.

9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sug starting to take over for Texas.

10. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

21 points off 15 TOs...smh...

11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Quinnipiac answered Texas' surge with one of their own to lead at the half, 38-26.
    Quinnipiac is playing very well but Horns just not playing sharp. Hope they weren't overlooking the Bulldogs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I bet the coaches are doing more than shaking their heads. :popcorn:

13. geewago

geewago 100+ Posts

Wow, wasn't expecting this. Q with 12 point lead at half.

Sure hope the injury with Lashaan is not serious. It's just sickening to see so many season ending injuries happening to so many good players. Can be very devastating for the whole team as well.

14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not being aggressive at all. Only two trips to the FT line in the half. Bobcats doing a solid job on the boards, an area I thought Texas would dominate. But it's 21 rebs for Texas and 20 for Quinnipiac. Horns are shooting better but Bobcats have 16 more shots and shooting well from BTA, 6-17 to 2-8 for the Horns.

15. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Quinnipiac is definitely the better team. We are get out hustled and out played! They are very physical and playing smarter. Wow I’m surprised.

16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Looks like Joanne may get a lot of playing time in this tournament.

17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Audrey starts the second half.

18. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Horns starting to play their game. Closing the gap a bit. Sug is going to have to be the lead offensively in this tournament.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. LutherIsMyDog

Did we start playing zone defense in the 3Q? If so, that was a great move by Aston. We play good zone defense!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Well, how do y'all like that zone the Horns showed in the second and third quarters?
    Horns back in it, down just one, 45-44. Horns need to finish strong in the fourth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. LutherIsMyDog

I'm all for letting them play physical ball but it's hard for me to believe that Jatarie and Jada weren't fouled in that last sequence under the basket.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Holy moly! Thought Quinnipiac was going to put that back in. Horns win a tough game 56-55 and advance to play tomorrow.

Hope that Lashann is okay but it really looked bad.

• Like Like x 2
  23. LutherIsMyDog

Not surprising but LaShann is on crutches after the game.

24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Jatarie (12 pts), Danni (10 pts) and Sug (12 pts, 10 assists) led the Horns in scoring. Jada had 7 pts and a team leading 13 rebounds. Audrey had seven pts, including the game winner on a short jumper in the lane.

Woo! Nice to see the win! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  25. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Whew! Glad to get that win!

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. LutherIsMyDog

It wasn't pretty but I was impressed that the team came back to win after starting the game so slow and sloppy. Karen did a great job of mixing up the defense. It wasn't always pretty but the girls came back in the 2nd half and played a much more physical game and cut down on TO's. I was most impressed with Sug, Audrey, Jada and Jatari. Hopefully, Danni's shots will start to connect.

• Like Like x 1
  27. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

I listened to the second half of the game on the radio. Aston said in her post-game interview that the win was bittersweet--that they'd lost a senior. I haven't heard them say anything about whether they expected it to be a season-ending injury, but I'm afraid it looks like Higgs won't be returning anytime soon. Terrible for her, and for those of us who love watching her play!

• Agree Agree x 4
  28. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Welp. Unfortunately Texas has just officially begun their rebuilding project. Losing the best/most athletic player on the team is absolutely devastating. And again, I hate to continue to harp on it but the transfer of Chaz becomes even bigger than we imagined. Joanne is obviously going to get a baptism by fire and hopefully she will eventually be better for it. The other players such as Sug, and Danni have to step their games up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. geewago

geewago 100+ Posts

That's sad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

For those of you that saw the game, what kind of offense and defense did Quinnipiac play? And did Coach Aston try to press a little bit? And were the shots that Danni missed good shots or were they forced? It’s good to hear that she actually mixed up her defense and played some zone. Hopefully they’ll continue to work on it and use it during games.

Taking care of the basketball has always been an issue for the most part with Coach Aston’s teams and obviously needs to improve. I know there’s still talent on the team but with Lashanns injury now would be a good opportunity for Coach Aston to show people including my self that she can coach them up. The offense still worries me.