Gulf Coast Showcase

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Nov 19, 2018.

1. seanzozo

seanzozo 25+ Posts

The streaming package is $25 and includes on demand. So if you pay for the streaming package now, you can watch it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

To me, something seemed to shift in Sutton after Higgs went down. She seemed to drop any fear and just play full out. It's true she needs to hit her free throws (!!) but she showed how elite she is last night and tonight.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

What seanzozo said, and I think you can also purchase whatever individual game you’d like to see but those are roughly $10 each.

4. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

To echo everyone else, Audrey Warren is a revelation. Such a complete basketball player and just a freshman. So cool that we snagged her and I don't believe she was even "ranked." Jatarie was great. What would we do without her, both last year and so far this year. Will never know why Dawn Staley didn't find a way to use her more.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I think it’s because at the time there were post players like Aja Wilson in front of her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Players having trouble making them. :lmao:
    Realistically, at this point, the only players I don't sweat it when they are at the FT line are Audrey and Charli. Lashann was hitting at a pretty good clip when she got hit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, I asked because you usually can live with post players not shooting free throws well as opposed to perimeter players.

• Like Like x 1
  8. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

And Alaina Coates in addition to Aja Wilson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Game Three—the Championship Game:
    Texas rolled over Michigan 69-52 in game two. Horns got contributions from everyone still active on the roster to move into the finals against Fordham, a winner over Washington. Fordham was predicted to finish third in the Atlantic 10. Duquesne, a team the Horns defeated earlier in the season, were the favorites to win the conference.

Fordham and Texas have met twice before, a couple of decades or so ago. Horns are 2-0 in the series. In Dec of 1998 and 1999, Texas and Fordham had a home and home series with Texas winning in 1998 80-52 and in 1999 83-57. The series resumes Sunday evening.

Fordham Rams (4-2)
    Bre Cavanaugh (#10, 5-8 RS Soph.G) is the engine that drives the Rams. She leads the Rams with 19.7 ppg. She has taken just over a quarter of the shots Fordham has put up: 114 of 404. Her 39 FGs made tops the squad. Cavanaugh is the primary 3pt shooter, having made 14 of 46 (30.4%). She almost doubles up the next closest teammate in FTs made (26) and attempted (33). She is second in rebounding at 6.2 rpg and tied for second in steals with six. Her 13 assists is third on the team, along with Zara Jillings (#0, 5-11 Soph. G). Kendell Heremaia (#20, 5-9 Soph. G) is second in scoring at 11.2 ppg while Mary Goulding (#34, 6-0 Sr. F) is third at 10.7 ppg. Jillings (14-26; 53.8%) and Heremaia (28-53; 52.8%) top the Rams in FG%. All of the starters have taken at least 14 treys. The best 3pt % belongs to Heremaia at 45.8% on 11 of 24. Lauren Holden (#2, 5-5 Sr. G) is the other volume 3pt shooter, having attempted 32 but only connecting on seven (21.9%).

The Rams have a couple of 6-4 post players but they don’t play a lot. Vilisi Tavui (#14, 6-4 RS-Fr.C) andHalei Gillis (#23, 6-4 Soph. F/C) have played in three and two games, respectively. As a team, Fordham is shooting a respectable 71.8%. Cavanaugh is making 78.8% of her FTs (26-33). Holden is at 87.5% on 14-16 FTs. Several others have hit all of their FTs although they are only 2-2 each.

Goulding is the top rebounder at 8.7 rpg. Cavanaugh is second at 6.2 rpg while Heremaia adds 5.0 rpg. Megan Jonassen (#43, 6-0 Fr. F) and Kaitlyn Downey (#24, 6-1 Fr. F) contribute 4.0 and 4.3 rpg, respectively. Five Rams are in double digits in assists, led by Goulding with 16 and Heremaia with 15. The Rams only have three blocks for the season with Goulding having two and Jillings one. Cavanaugh, Goulding and Holden each have six steals to lead Fordham.

Fordham has a quintet that has started all six games this season. Cavanaugh, Goulding, Heremaia, Downey and Holden are the starters. Jillings, Jonassen and Alexa Giuliano (#1, 5-8 Grad. G) are the primary subs with Jillings and Jonassen each seeing action in all six games while Giuliano has played in five. Downey (6-1), Goudling (6-0) and Jonassen (6-0) are the tallest Rams that play most of the time. Fordham does have two 6-4 post players on the roster but they don’t play much. Vilisi Tavui (#14), 6-4 C RS Fr. from Fuji has appeared in 3 games so far. Halei Gillis (#23), 6-4 F/C Soph. from North Carolina has played in the last two games. We might see them, at least briefly, on Sunday.

TEXAS LONGHORNS (5-0)
    Jatarie is the only Horn averaging double digits in scoring at 11.8 ppg. But five others are averaging between 8.4 and 6.2 ppg. Jatarie (59.6%), Charli (51.7%), Jada (54.2%), Joanne (50.0%) and Olamide (71.4%) are all above 50% from the field. Danni (52), Jatarie (47) and Sug (41) are the top shot takers for the Horns. All five starters plus Destiny and Charli are all averaging at least two made FGs a game. Danni (9-28; 32.1%), Destiny (6-19; 31.6%), Sug (2-12; 16.7%) and Audrey (2-11; 18.2%) are the primary 3pt shooters. Against Michigan, Sug was 1-2 from BTA while Audrey was 2-3. Sug (8-15; 53.3%) and Jada (5-12; 41.7%) are the most proficient at getting to the FT line. They are the only Horns with double digit FT attempts although Charli does have nine FT attempts (6-9; 66.7%). Audrey has the best FT% on the team at 83.3% (5-6). She is the only player hitting over 66.7% of her FTs.

Jatarie is the leading rebounding at 6.6 rpg while Jada checks in at 6.0 rpg. Sug is third at 5.4 rpg. Sug is the assist leader at 36. Danni is second with 8 assists. The Horns have 21 blocks so far this season. Charli has eight of them. Eight of the nine players have at least two steals. Audrey tops the group with seven steals while Jada has six.

Jada, Danni and Sug have been starters in all five games. Jatarie has four starts including the last two games. With Lashann out, Audrey got her first start of the season. All nine active players have played in all of the five games. Charli, Destiny, Olamide and Joanne have all provided strong play off the bench with Charli getting one start.

LINEUPS
    Projected lineups are based on the previous game’s starting lineups.
    Screenshot (26).png

Horns will have a significant height advantage in this game. Even if Fordham puts in their 6-4 players, Texas’ posts will have a big experience advantage. Cavanaugh will be a big problem for Texas. She makes Fordham roll. I expect that Audrey will get first shot at slowing her down. On the other hand, Sug’s ability to score and set others up will cause problems for Fordham. She should be able to penetrate and either finish or kick it out. Without their 6-4 posts, Fordham will have problems with Jatarie, Charli and Olamide inside.

STATS COMPARISON
    Screenshot (27).png
    Screenshot (28).png
    Screenshot (29).png

Screenshot (30).png

Texas will need to guard the 3pt line. Fordham takes about a third of their shots from BTA. They haven’t shot well from there but the quantity of shots make up for their low percentage. They do run a well structured offense. Horns will need to be disciplined on defense to thwart the Rams’ half court offense. Fordham will give Texas a fight on the boards. They gave a taller Washington squad fits on the boards with hustle and positioning, winning the battle of the boards 36-32.

https://texassports.com/news/2018/11/24/no-10-9-womens-basketball-defeats-michigan-to-advance-to-gulf-coast-showcase-championship.aspx

https://fordhamsports.com/news/2018/11/24/womens-basketball-reaches-gulf-coast-showcase-final-with-65-57-win-over-washington.aspx?path=wbball

No. 10/9 Women's Basketball preview: Fordham - Texas Athletics

• Like Like x 5
  10. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I watched the replay on the BD stream. Might be worth a shot to go ahead and purchase the game. Or, you could contact them and ask. They were pretty responsive when I had questions.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Not sure I understand your point here. At this point in the season we are missing 5 players who were expected to be playing this year. Last night it was basically all hands on deck, with every healthy player getting some minutes. Of the freshmen, Audrey excelled, Charli was good and Joanne showed flashes. I know it's been covered, but Audrey just didn't remind me that she's a freshman. She was hustling everywhere, stealing, disrupting, driving. And of course, there's that NBA 3-point range, while turned sideways, with no time on the shot clock. The other player I'd like to point out is Mide. I thought she had a really solid game. Good touch on shots, blocked layup. It didn't appear that the defense suffered while she was in. It's been nice to see her progression over the years. Babhorn mentioned before that game that with Lashann's loss, everyone else will have to step up. I think we saw that happen last night.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

When Michigan was making there run late in the 3rd quarter, and I believe they had gotten it down to a 13 point difference and had made a 9-0 run, Texas had the ball with the shot clock running down and Audrey Warren hit a 25 foot 3 point shot that seemed to take the wind out of Michigan. Michigan never seemed to make a consistent run after that. I love me some Audrey! That girl has some grit.
    I believe that Danni Williams is beginning to understand that she is going to have to change her game to be involved with the offense. I noticed she tended to stand around the 3 point line in her first 3-4 games waiting for a kick out. She actually took the ball to the hole a couple of time yesterday and got in on several rebounds. I hope that mentality continues. Aston has given her a lot of minutes so far in this young season and I think she knows what she is doing!

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I agree with Coach Aston that last night's win was an impressive "team" win. Karen and the coaching staff deserve a lot of credit for getting this team mentally ready to play after the loss of one of it's key players. IMO, some of our past teams wouldn't have fought back against Quinnipiac after losing LaShann.

The team also seems to be in good condition as everyone (with the exception of Joanne) played 15 minutes or more last night.

We can win this tourney. Hopefully we can focus and play our best against Fordham.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Interesting point about Danni. I hadn't noticed that but in retrospect I see what you're talking about. Rather than just trying to find an open space BTA she's realizing she needs to make things happen. Maybe also this will help her get to the FT line.

• Like Like x 4
  15. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Please....

16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unlikely to happen unless they are willing to pay for it. And if they did that, they would be taking over the tournament. Given the sparse crowds, the tournament makes its money from the online packages it sells.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Quinnipiac takes 7th place with a 69-66 win over Ball State.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

One on-court area I think Karen Aston has excelled at in her time at Texas has been designing and running inbound plays to get easy scoring opportunities. We haven’t seen much of that so far this season. Lashann’s quickness and agility allowed her to snake around screens for an easy layup opportunity so that’s another instance her absence will be felt. To make matters worse, Jatarie has picked up an illegal screen foul in each of the last 2 games on under-the-basket inbound plays and, with front-court depth concerns, Texas has to clean that up. I’m not blaming Jatarie - quite often an illegal screen is usually the result of the player getting screened for making their move before the screen is set or not cutting close enough to the screener. It could be as simple as a timing issue but needs to be addressed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I watched most of this game and Ball State was ahead of QP most of the game. QP made some good defensive plays to take the game and get ahead at the end. Not sure how we could have played them so close? We were really out of sorts and we were lucky to get that type of play out of our system and get away with the win! That win may be a water shed moment in our season. Against Michigan they seemed to have looked back at that performance and mentally resurrected themselves to playing Longhorn Basketball. I certainly give a lot of credit to the Coaches in getting them prepared. I'm expecting that same type of performance against Fordham.

• Like Like x 4
  20. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Up next is Duke vs Missouri for fifth & sixth place.
    Rooting for Missouri & Cunningham.

21. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Thoughts from Skinhoops86. Well put!

• Like Like x 2
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Weird game. Tied at half: 26-26 but Missouri has yet to make a 2-pt bucket. 8 3s and a pair of FTs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Maybe it’s because players like Audrey and Joanne weren’t as highly touted but even before all the injuries it seemed like the freshmen class was more prepared mentally AND physically than last years class for the college lifestyle. Even Coach Aston talked about that aspect of the freshmen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

26 all in the Duke-Missouri game. The Tigers have seven 3s and two FTs for their 26 pts. Hailey Troup, a one time Texas recruit, has hit two of two from BTA. I had forgotten that Lauren Aldridge had transferred from Kansas to Missouri.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

In addition to the obvious negatives, the low attendance makes it possible to hear the vocal fans that are annoying as hell. Last night it was the Michigan backer screeching “3 seconds” every 2 seconds. A couple of similar fans at the Mizzou-Duke game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Hopefully the team is prepared and ready to play. These types of games always worry me.

27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Okay, Missouri takes fifth with a 62-54 win over the Duke Blue Devils. 16 of 34 from BTA for the Tigers with only three 2pt FGs. Schuchts was 6-6 and Aldridge was 4-7 from BTA for Missouri.

28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Our kids getting noticed.:hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  29. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

30. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Michigan up 34-31 on Washington in the battle for third. Last second steal and layup by Michigan with Washington having a tying mid court 3 rimming out at the buzzer. Horns up at 6:30pm. ! :hookem2: