Hacking Voting Machines

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by alden, Sep 10, 2008.

1. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

This is not really a tech board, but I find the whole thing alarming enough to be brought to the general public's attention. Basically, the Security Group at UCSB showed how you could hack the voting machines.

2. hindsight

hindsight 25+ Posts

Is this new? I thought it had already been proven that the diebold machines were vulnerable.

It's almost enough to make you believe that our Republic is total sham.

3. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Sure seems like we could do all of this online with even better security.

4. rivet

rivet 500+ Posts

I think both parties are ok with hackable voting machines. That is, until an independent candidate wins the presidential election. Then the supreme court would be called on to rule on the validity.

5. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

There's an HBO documentary called Hacking Democracy showing exactly how easy it is too do. And, yes, it is very easy. And, yes, there was evidence that machines have already been tampered with in actual elections.

The HBO documentary also shows Dibold executives giving sales pitches to election officials. These executives were either outright lying or negligently ignorant about how their own machines operate. These Dibold guys should be in prison. Seriously.

When I started watching the show, I though these election crusaders were wackos from the tin foil hat and black helicopter club. Then they bring in some highly credentialed computer security guys who are stunned at the simplistic security measures the Dibild voting system employs. Then they run a mock election on real Dibold machines used in real Florida elections. The results are shocking.

Bernard

6. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

7. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

8. UT Spring Branch

UT Spring Branch 500+ Posts

9. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts