Hager Twitter account closed

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by VulcanHorn, Dec 1, 2018.

1. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

i guess that 5 star speed makes it difficult to hit his shoulder while running or throwing...

2. zuckercanyon

Remember it’s size speed strength.

3. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

You have to assume he's running the exact same play as Colt into that same Alabama D-line.
    His speed would not have helped him.

4. zuckercanyon

I'm saying bigger stronger faster infers better gifted athlete which helps durability. Kyler's probably not going to run the same play Colt did. But you can't hit what you can't catch either.....5 star speed if you will....

5. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

1 start being grateful for? That's irrelevant. I cheer for my team.
    2 i think you are having a recruiting discussion while hating on our players. Of course, I'd prefer to get the top player in the country at every position. Once they are on the team, and coach is playing the best player they have at that position, all "5 star" conversation is irrelevant. Aces are better than Jacks, but you play the hand you're dealt. And you don't whine and complain about your cards.

I know your 5 star discussion is going on in multiple threads. And I think those discussions are always fun. Mostly because it's an imperfect science. But we're talking about players better on the team here. If our coach now had a 5-star safety that he kept on the bench and didn't play while he played a three-star underperforming senior safety, then your star discussion has relevance around Gideon. But that isn't the case. He was the best we had. He played the best he could. End of story.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. zuckercanyon

Point taken. Where my negativity comes in is that we recruited so poorly the 4s we have to rely on 2s and 3s, we're not going to have a spectacular season. Those results ended Mack's tenure here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Stoops' teams were better when they were hungry 2's and 3's with a 4 sprinkled around them.

8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Another example of a guy who got burned regularly but got nowhere near the vitriol from fans that Gideon did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

There's probably some truth to that, but it's also probably true that over time, some of his limitations on range became a little more apparent.

I would definitely agree with that.

If only D'onta had been a 4 star - we could have won a few more!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

And then the cards come out...

I recall one tournament a few years back where a woman at my table held aces and I was pretty certain pre-flop that was what she had. She bet them wrong and gave me a reason to come along with my pocket treys. Flopped a 3. Had quads on the turn. After one hand, I was chip leader for the event...by a lot.

Those aces sure looked pretty to her pre-flop but they weren't worth a damn once the lights came on.

I'm sure she tells the story about being knocked out on the first hand of the event. Aces are just like five-stars. Sometimes they aren't worth a damn...or at least not as much as a 'lesser' starting hand...

Recruiting rankings are no different than poker hands. Once the lights come on, things change and can do so very rapidly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. zuckercanyon

Ridiculous reach on what I'm stating. The appropriate conclusion is "If our recruiting and coaching meant that a two star rb became a superstar on a team that went sub 500, your team has a problem". So if we're counting on Blake Gideon and Donta Foreman, there's bigger issues. Not an issue with those guys playing their butts off, but an issue with the fact there is no competition for the positions they play and not enough support from the team in other area to garner more victories.

12. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

There is no inherent issue at all with counting on D'onta Foreman, only with, as you said "not enough support from the team in other areas."

• Agree Agree x 1