Hail Damage to roof.....why do I need a new roof?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by EJC+1, Jun 17, 2009.

1. EJC+1

EJC+1 250+ Posts

Ok...so hail blasted the **** outta my roof twice in the past 3 months...including last week's "Fury of God" storm in Cedar Park.

Yes, some of the grit got blasted off, but no shingles are missing. My house is only 2 years old.

Now roof companies are ALL OVER our neighborhood; houses left and right are getting new roofs soon.

Question...

If I'm not missing any shingles, why in the F do I need to get a new roof? Hell, as soon as I get a new one, it's gonna eventually hail again. Cedar Park and hail go hand and hand together. Can't my roof stand a few hail storms?

2. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

Your home is the security interest for your mortgage loan. Your lender might not appreciate it if you fail to maintain it.

Also, your homeowners insurance company can't cancel or nonrenew you for filing a hail claim, but they can nonrenew your insurance if you fail to repair it or otherwise maintain it in an insurable condition.

3. OrangeChipper

OrangeChipper 1,000+ Posts

My dad works for Haag Engineering. Basically they've studied hail damage and how it effects roofs. If the hail didn't SPLIT shingles... then you DO NOT need a new roof. Your roof will weather and you won't even know you had a hail storm years from now.

4. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Insurance pays to replace hail damaged roofs because the hailstones leave dings in the composition material, asphalt or whatever it is. These dings will dry out and crack in the hot summer sun, which may take months or years. Then the roof will start to leak, diluting your brandy alexander-that's why homes in your area are getting new roofs, not because all the shingles are gone.

5. bevosayshi

bevosayshi 250+ Posts

EJC+1....do you live in Town Center by chance? I see craploads of roofing companies in the area repairing what appear to be perfectly good roofs. I wonder if the roofing companies are basically just telling these folks they need new roofs when they actually don't? We've not been approached by any roofing companies to date....not sure if they are going door to door doing this stuff. I'll post if that happens.

[​IMG]

6. AustinTejasFan

"I see craploads of roofing companies in the area repairing what appear to be perfectly good roofs. I wonder if the roofing companies are basically just telling these folks they need new roofs when they actually don't?"

So you can assess hail damage just driving down the street. Hell maybe you should be an insurance adjuster. The insurance companies would love you.

Since insurance companies are stingier paying claims than republicans funding indigent health care, I doubt they are paying tens of millions to replace undamaged roofs just out of the goodness of their hearts because a bunch of roofers say so.

7. bevosayshi

bevosayshi 250+ Posts

8. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

No need to be so harsh. The same thing happened in my neighborhood, probably 12-15 years ago. I looked at my roof and saw nothing I thought was damaged. Then a house down the street was getting a new roof, then another, then four more, and I finally asked a roofer about it. The whole area had damaged roofs, enough for insurance to pay for replacement. So we called the insurance company, and sure enough, there were enough "dings" per square yard to consider the roof ruined.
    So call your insurance adjuster and tell them what is going on. You probably need a roof.

9. texascoder

texascoder 1,000+ Posts

I live in Cedar Park also, and my roof isn't all that old... maybe 5-6 yrs or so. I didn't think much of the hail storm we had back in March but I noticed a bunch of roofs being replaced in my neighborhood, so I contacted my insurance agent (Allstate) and she sent someone over to inspect it. Actually, it was an adjuster plus someone from a roofing company that they normally work with. Anyway, they looked over the roof and decided it was fine. So, I think it might have to do with not only the severity of the storm, but maybe the prior condition of the roof as well. If you have a 10-15 yr old roof, it probably can't stand up to a hail storm, whereas a newer roof might not be damaged enough to require replacing/fixing.

10. AustinTejasFan

"So, I think it might have to do with not only the severity of the storm, but maybe the prior condition of the roof as well. If you have a 10-15 yr old roof, it probably can't stand up to a hail storm, whereas a newer roof might not be damaged enough to require replacing/fixing."

A relatively new roof is less likely to show damage than an older roof, but that doesn't mean it's not damaged. Wait about 6 months, after our Texas sun beats down on it for a while and have a reputable roofer take another look at it. It sometimes takes that long for all the dings to be visable.

And, never ever take the word of an adjuster and his hired lackies to decide whether you need to file a claim.

11. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

12. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

Dammit.

I had about 55 minute's worth of a response all typed out & when attempting to post it, the damn page sat there forEVER & eventually timed out.

$%@$%#^%!!!!!!

I may try again later.

Bottom line: Nothing is ever final & if you have a LOT of roofs going up around you, there is a very high chance you are damaged as well.

I am doing roofs all over Cedar Park; El Salido Parkway & 62o, New Hope & 183, Brushy Creek... it's all over the place.

Maybe I'll get into the differences & benefits on a dimensional vs. a 3 tab shingle... for now, chec out this part of my website: The Link

BTW, we're doing Austin Horn's roof on Monday; shingles should be delivered sometime on Friday (today). I only mention this because of the other roof thread that was (is) going on here.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]