Handlers Street Agents

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by HousHorn09, Feb 16, 2011.

1. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

Per a very intriguing topic posted on another Horn loyal board site ([​IMG]) by someone whose handle is 'closetojumping', I would like to hear from the Hornfan faithful what your thoughts and even possible experiences has been with such "services". His take is quoted below.HPSlugga, you're in the HS coaching biz. What kind of effect do you see this having on these young but incredibly talented kids and the overall recruiting program as a whole.

By what we see from the aggys who have responded to such things don't seem to be too terribly concerned with handlers/street agents as long as they "get their man". For those ags who frequent Hornfans, what are your feelings about this growing business, recent accusations aside?

In reply to:

2. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I am worried about this situation ruining the competitive balance of amateur sports. It is hard to know how extensive this is, but it is dirty business. You hear about it more in basketball, but it appears to be infecting football also.
    You get the idea when UT or some other schools back off a highly sought recruit who shows interest in the school, that something funny is going on.
    This kind of stuff could make me quit following these sports-I don't like it, and don't want to pay to support it. It needs to be cleaned up somehow.
    It is good to hear (if true) that OU is not one of the cheaters willing to look the other way or to pay the street agents.

3. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

It is alarming at how it is going and we may see college football and other sports change and I am sure if we have too that we will adjust even though most of us won't like it. The NCAA needs to address the problem very soon. Right now they have opened a way like Cam Newton situation in that a parent or family member can negociate with a street agent as long as the recruit doesn't know about it (which I am skeptical about).

4. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

The NCAA is apparently investigating Auburn (surprise, surprise), part of which reportedly involves the street agent issue: Linky. Trooper Taylor (former Baylor Bear) appears to be a person of interest in the investigation.

5. Dusty

Dusty 250+ Posts

6. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

7. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

8. Trifecta

Trifecta 250+ Posts

Lache Seastrunk

Need I say more

9. HMFIC

HMFIC 100+ Posts

If A&M is paying players they arent doing a very good job...see last year's class.

10. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

It's not about the players getting paid but more the handlers receiving a fee for their "services rendered" for representing the kid. If colleges pay these handlers, soon you have a system working where the kid may not be fairly represented as the handler will get them into the schools where they know they'll get paid.

These are not agents but act like it & the NCAA appears to be indifferent to these guys. Without any oversight & punishment process for "improprieties" it doesn't take much of an imagination to see how easily this could get out of hand.

11. Old Horns Fan

Old Horns Fan < 25 Posts

I know nothing about street agents/handlers except what I've read on here in this post and a few others over the past year or so. You'd think that if the NCAA doesn't want its amateur athletes talking to professional agents, that they wouldn't like this and would take action--the comparison is obvious.

I would also expect to see real sports agents getting annoyed. In the regulatory world that I live in, when one group figures out a loophole in a regulation (or blatantly ignores it), the guys who are complying with that regulation get pissed off and complain loudly about it.

I'd be surprised if this doesn't get addressed in the near future.

12. accuratehorn

But how can the NCAA realistically address this situation?
    The handler may make promises to pay after the eligibility is up, or make small advances during the duration of the amateur status. If both parties carry out their agreement, nothing ever surfaces. It is only when one party reneges, as in the Reggie Bush case, where someone goes public and the media learns of the arrangement. Even then it is hard to prove.

13. 34blast

34blast 25+ Posts

Okay, I'm dumb. So correct me where I am wrong.

Street agent gets the kids to pay to have him made known to colleges. Not sure why Trey Williams or Davis do this. They are already known to anyone who knows recruits.

College doesn't pay handler (it's illegal), street agent only gets paid from recruit.

So technically there is nothing against NCAA rules?
    Or you implying street agent is looking to get paid as well as the kids?

14. accuratehorn

It is completely against NCAA rules. A prospect may not enter into a written or verbal contract to receive compensation for their services (whether deferred or not). And of course, it violates NCAA rules to pay the handler to steer the recruit to an NCAA institution.
    Proving all this is another matter.

15. 34blast

34blast 25+ Posts

In theory
    1). The prospect pays the street agent. There is no agreement to pay prospect.
    2). Schools don't pay the street agent
    In that scenario, prospects help gets recognized for a fee. Nothing is against NCAA policy

The respected Randy Rogers has a web site and program where recruits pay his services to get recognized, check lists etc.

www.randyrodgersrecruiting.com

A little more investigation and this is looking a bit ugly. There is more going on.
    spenceparksoapbox.fantake.com/2009/08/13/street-agents-at-work-at-the-high-school-level/
    spenceparksoapbox.fantake.com/2010/08/26/street-agent-in-the-middle-of-the-football-scandal-at-southlake-carroll/

16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

One would think that the NCAA would step in and create a level playing field.

However, since the NCAA cannot find its way out of a 3 walled square room - nothing is going to happen until indisputable evidence of a payoff appears (95% probability that proof will involve a SEC school, ou or aggy).

17. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Anyone that believes the NCAA will do anything to fix the problem of street agents and handlers also believes in the yellow brick road and true altruism.

You could hand over 100 percent incontrovertible evidence to the NCAA, and if it involves a sacred cow (Read: Zero-U, almost anybody in the SEC, etc.) you'll see NCAA investigators do a terrific impression of an ostrich.

The NCAA doesn't have the cojones to do anything serious, like shut down a program any stronger than SMU. I seriously doubt they'd even do that again, so don't confuse them with facts. They don't know what to do with 'em.

18. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

That is alarming coolhorn but I am afraid you are right. If as you write the NCAA does nothing about it we may be forced to change our way of thinking and deal with street agents and handlers to get good players. What I am worried about is the NCAA may be inconsistent as they have been in the past. We can adjust if we have to but I hope it doesn't come to that and we don't wait too long and lose a lot of recruits.