Happy Texas Independence Day

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by yelladawgdem, Mar 2, 2018.

1. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

.....to Hornfans around the globe!!

:texasflag::texasflag::texasflag::texasflag::hookem2::texasflag::texasflag::texasflag::texasflag:

• Like Like x 4
  2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not only is today Texas Independence Day it is also Sam Houston's birthday. So, make a trip to Washington County and visit the State Park at Washington-on-the-Brazos. Then after finishing up at WotB, take State Highways 105, 90 and 30 over to Huntsville and wave or stop at Mr. Sam's statue.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 1
  5. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

And while you're at it, swing on down to Angleton in Brazoria County to wave or stop at Stephen F. Austin's statue. And then continue south to Surfside Beach, just because.
    https://www.austinchronicle.com/columns/2009-06-12/792740/
    [​IMG]

6. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

:hookem: Hooray for Texas!!:yippee::texasflag:

7. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Happy Independence Day !

8. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

We are TEXAS :bevo::yippee::hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

:hookem::hookem::hookem::hookem::hookem::hookem:

:coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana:

:texasflag::texasflag::texasflag::texasflag::texasflag:

:hookem3::hookem3::hookem3::hookem3::hookem3::hookem3:

:hookem2::hookem2::hookem2::hookem2::hookem2::hookem2:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

:yippee::yippee::yippee::yippee::yippee::yippee:

• Like Like x 1
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

:texasflag: I closed the office today to celebrate with the family. :yippee::bounce1::bounce2:

• Like Like x 2
  11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

12. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

13. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Isn't that the county where a guy, one of SFA's original settlers was buried standing up facing west? In the story, as I recall, his name was Brit Bailey. When he died his last wish was to be buried standing up and facing west toward the frontier. They carved on his headstone, "Here Stands Bailey Facing West" so the story goes.

14. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

From the Texas State Historical Association....seemed like an interesting fellow:

He became known for his eccentric behavior and frequently engaged in brawls. He died on December 6, 1832, probably from cholera. He was buried in the family graveyard on Bailey's Prairie. His will, still extant, required that he be buried standing up and facing the West" legend has added "with my rifle at my side and a jug of whiskey at my feet." His ghost is said to wander the area as a white round ball of light, known as Bailey's Light, searching for more whiskey. The Texas Historical Commission placed a marker near Bailey's Prairie in 1970 to commemorate his life.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He probably would have buried cars front end first next to an interstate in later years.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

At one time, San Jacinto Day was the most celebrated Texas holiday and is still acknowledged by some offices as an optional holiday. I am sure that in time nobody will know about it. Like the Goliad Massacre, (and statues on the University of Texas campus) some of history is just not politically correct for public acknowledgement; and many of the new Texans probably find our history boring and don't care.

Yet Cinco De Mayo is a big deal in this country and most people don't even know that it was only a single battle between the French and Mexicans in Pueblo, and is not universally celebrated in Mexico. I have never understood the craziness over it in the US, especially in Texas. It seems to me that a return to celebrations of San Jacinto Day would be in order. I for one will definitely drink to that, and all of those celebrating Cinco de Mayo won't care because they will drink to anything. If they are going to get lit up, they might as well do it for something worthwhile.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  17. joh

joh 25+ Posts

I think its the same day as the Spring game this year

18. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Yep. April 21st every year. Always has been.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

@joh are you planning to come to the spring game?

20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts