Has GoogleMaps 'Street Viewed' your house yet?

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Napoleon, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Google Maps has a new thing where they show the address you punch in from the street level. Both my parents' old lot (which is now a crappy McMansion under construction with pickup trucks in front) and my parents' new house have be photographed at street level. (Preston Hollow, Dallas, Texas)

My friend's old house near Thomas Jefferson High School in Dallas and her father's house near the Dallas/Garland border have been shot as well. Maybe Dallas is one of the first cities. (I noticed that Castilian has NOT been shot yet.)

It's kind of cool/ Kind of creepy.

[​IMG]

2. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

it's not that new. they removed my block from the system! yeah!

3. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

how do you get this view? I just google map'ed a few houses I have ahistory with, but couldn't get a street-level view ....

4. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

****, my house isn't even on google map. New neighborhood. I have lived there for 15 months and it is still not on google maps. Not even the 'map' portion (ie not just satellite).

5. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

Not only is my parent's house on google maps...Me and my recently departed dog, Major, are on there. He's laying pool side while I'm swimming. Freaked me out!

6. rhg84

rhg84 250+ Posts

My parents house is on there. Its pretty freaky I didnt know they were that far along. I remember hearing about it months ago when it started and all they had was vegas and SF i think. I wonder how many miles google has traveled doing the street view thing

7. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

It looks like there's some mail that I need to go out and get.

8. grammer_police

grammer_police 25+ Posts

Some of the repliers are confused. The original author is talking about street level view. This is where you can, for example, see in through side windows.

Here's a link to get you started. Look for the yellow foosball-looking pedestrian. Drag him somewhere. Click on the "street view" button which is next to the "traffic" button.

Street view is sort of difficult if you haven't used it before. Sort of like using Google Maps again for the first time when you've been using MapQuest for 15 years.

On the street view, you can 360 swivel and have 4 levels of zoom. In the link I gave, you can zoom in on pedestrians' faces and even inside houses. I think the street view is awesome, as long as none of you know where I live.

9. Meursault

Meursault 250+ Posts

yah, my parents house is on there. but it's set waaay back off the street, so nothing to see except a well manicured lawn.

10. austintex

austintex 500+ Posts

Caught swimming by Google? Could be worse. You could be this guy.

11. VinnyVango

VinnyVango 25+ Posts

that guy is clearly just taking a bad walking angle to the Szechuan Spice shop.

12. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

busted. that's awesome.

Midtown Houston is on there

13. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

14. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

well, my actual street isn't, but you can see down my street from a few cross streets. Montrose/River Oaks, Houston, holla.

also, were these shots taken like 5 years ago? there are definitely some buildings & trees missing.

15. Alphanumeric

Alphanumeric < 25 Posts

Holy crap! My house is on there. It was taken fairly recently too, likely this summer. I can tell by the flowers in the yard. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. [​IMG]

16. Alphanumeric

Alphanumeric < 25 Posts

You can tell if your area has street level view because the streets are outlined in blue. Pretty much all of DFW has street level. A little bit of Houston. I didn't see any of Austin or San Antonio.

17. BrûléeOrange

BrûléeOrange 500+ Posts

I live in a gated community, so the street view is the back of my house taken from outside the wall (brick fence). Relentless.

18. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Brulee-

Why doesn't your home owners association invite Google to come in and take snapshots of your neighborhood. [​IMG]

It's definitely on the F'ed up side of Neat Options vs. Invasion of Privacy.

19. BrûléeOrange

BrûléeOrange 500+ Posts

Nap, that would be fine with me, but we don't have a "manned" gate just codes or openers. It's probably very difficult for them to figure out who to call as we don't have a sign and phone number posted for such things. We do have special gate codes for contractors, maids and newspaper delivery people that get changed ever so often.

20. El_Oso

El_Oso 500+ Posts

They've got my house on there and it's fairly recent. Since last May because my neighbors daughter's new car is in their drive. She got as a graduation present last summer. My Longhorn flag is prominenlty from the front porch. [​IMG]

Then again that ****** that broke in here may have used Google Maps [​IMG]

21. DCLonghorn8

DCLonghorn8 250+ Posts

No DC yet on Street View.

I am surprised Google went for a spread out city like Houston before a very small city like DC.

22. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

Not there.