Has Strong Lost Longhorn Nation?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by dukesteer, Sep 5, 2015.

1. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I was at the game. The Notre Dame fans were extremely nice. The guy sitting beside me said, "wow, I did not know Texas was this bad."

As someone who went to Texas in the dark football years, it seems like we are even worse. That was a poorly coached, unprepared team. If we continue to have that same offensive mindset, we will win maybe 4 games. Yes, Charlie Strong lost me yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I could have lived with a mediocre offensive performance followed up by a decent defensive performance resulting in a 14 point or so loss. TCU had a typical first game against a decent D1 team. We had an abortion of possibly the worst offense in the country followed up by a bad defensive performance. This is not progress but I'm not saying Strong should be fired either.

What I'm saying is that a well coached team would have been more prepared. They looked completely lost and out of position most of the night. Don't confuse youth with unpreparedness which is squarely on coaching. Youth will make mistakes, but this performance was bad from start to finish. This team is no more prepared nor advanced beyond the beginning of last year which is why everyone is up in arms....not because we lost the first game of the season. I'm pretty sure most here presumed a loss last night before the game.

• Like Like x 3
  3. WilburWildCat

WilburWildCat 25+ Posts

Empty stands and lack of concession sales at home will send a loud message that is understood. For those "arm chair coaches" that want to be heard simply do not donate, buy season tickets, or attend games. Big money donors do not like to be embarrassed like they were last night and they will make that known post haste. Did everyone see the TV shot of all the private jets parked at the airport? Would imagine some of those were Texas donors. We all love Texas football but the harsh reality is money counts and loyal Burnt Orange blood fans are replaceable.

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

This is what my shred of hope is hanging on. Maybe ND is a championship level team this year, but we won’t know until the end of the season. And maybe the Horns are not as incompetent as they appeared last night. Charlie did some fine work at Louisville and Florida so he is not incapable.

• Like Like x 2
  5. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

One more season give him 2 full classes to establish something after next year though it may be over for him

6. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Wadster, your words make me sad. There is a bit of tragedy there.

7. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Has Texas ever shown the head football coach the door after 2 seasons? I say he gets 3 or 4 seasons, at least, as long as he is making staff changes along the way. Probably what kept mack Brown around after 2010.

8. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I think ND is..... but last year everyone said BYU was a playoff team and just about everyone else they played moved the ball on their defense.

9. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Everyone wanted to fire Mack Brown for not beating teams by enough.......

10. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I do not see us winning 4 games....I only see 2...maybe...

11. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

We did put together a good game against West Virginia last year. We could put something together. However, if we play like we did yesterday we go 0-12. Even I think they cannot possibly play that badly and the coaches cannot do that poorly every week. I guess we'll see what happens against Rice and California.

12. horninchicago

We also played well against the land thieves last year, should have won. But, man we just looked so uninspired last night, it is hard to imagine our being able to compete with anyone.

13. TXLonghorndad

TXLonghorndad 100+ Posts

How does a coach lose Longhorn Nation only 14 games into his coaching tenure at Texas?Should be ridiculous, but it is a legit question.

Why - because he's 6-8 after 14 games? No.

It's because he appears to not be in control of his coaching staff and his program. He appears clueless.

His answers last night at the post game press conference were atrocious and indicative of a person who should not be a head coach at a program like Texas.

Question? Why didn't Heard play more - was he hurt?
    Answer? Not hurt - we just felt Tyrone was the one who gave us the best chance . . . Add Watson's comments that Tyrone was playing hard and well and you see the problem.

Strong was asked another question about the poor offense early in the game and his response was he didn't really think about it because he was pissed off at the play of the defense at the time.

Throw in J. Gray only receiving 8 touches in the game and being rotated after the 1st series when he did not receive the ball and it's legit to ask if he's lost Longhorn Nation.

I like Charlie Strong and want him to succeed but I also remember that Red McCombs warned all about this, didn't he?

14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

It is legitimate to ask if Strong has lost the fans. For sure many of us are pretty disgusted.
    during the game and watching the seemingly inept attempts I wondered if Strong has lost the team? Yes ND is good BUT that wouldn't have stopped the other team from trying. I am not sure they tried last night.
    Could we be so devoid of talent on both sides of the ball? Weak attempts to tackle, defend the pass?? What defense? And that was supposed to be the strength of the team
    Offense? What offense? Yes we knew the Oline was suspect but honestly it sometimes looked like they just didn't try.
    Playcalling? was there any and Swoopes just couldn't handle it? Was it deliberate to NOT give JGrey the ball?Why would that be?
    How many times should Swoopes have thrown the ball away to avoid loss of yards? How hard is it to remember that? If Swoopes can't grasp that simple fact why is he playing?

I am DREADING the games even if they play a little better. I am pretty sure I have seen this before. I think the team has quit.

between the crap on the field and Stevie P treating us like scum there isn't much excitement to go to the trouble of attending games,
    I hope I am wrong. Right now I have no reason to think I am.

• Like Like x 1
  15. snek

snek 500+ Posts

He hasn't lost this one. He may lose wishy-washy ones who were not really fans all along in only a handful of games but not me. I am not tickled pink but I understand it's a process. If we flub against Rice, that's no bueno. Gonna give it time and watch the usual suspects spew their vitriol and then be the first to ballyhoo when something goes right and we win something important or in dramatic fashion. Too bad there is not a penalty that can be assessed to them. Too bad they are allowed to act like childish pricks and then move on like nothing happened. Turds.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

Where does one see the post-game presser with Charlie???

17. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

ND is a -pretty good team with arguably the best coach in college football. I've watched him since his Division II days and he is now getting his players for his team. So will Strong.

Our O line started two freshmen and was unable to deal with ND's D line and that settles almost any football game.

If you want to see a mismatch next week, watch a well coached but undermanned Rice team get torched by our offense.

At least we weren't playing Arkansas. Last year the Aggies looked all world against South Carolina in their first game. Later, not so much.

Patience is not a virtue widely held among our fans but exercising it can avoid a lot of the wailing and gnashing of teeth we witness among our fairweather fans right now

I am still not convinced Strong is the man for the job but I am certain that it is still too early to write him off. The Steelers cut John Unitas; time said that was a bad move.

• Like Like x 2
  18. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

It was interesting when they showed Holtz calling in the plays for Texas then juxtaposing that with the statue of Holtz outside the stadium.

19. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

LIKE you, I'm not convinced STRONG is the man for the job....but, I am pulling for him with 50 years of burnt-orange behind me....

20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I've revised my projection for this season from 7-5 down to 3-9 maybe 2-10 IF this level of play keeps up. Based on the last 2 games of 2014 and this first game of 2015. I don't foresee any miraculous great finish, just more of the same. Strong needs to evaluate what his coaches are doing, have tough conversations, make changes if necessary, and based on the results so far, better sooner (right now) than later.

21. horninchicago

Sadly, I fear this is the outcome of the season as well.

22. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

If we get handled by Rice then I will be concerned.

23. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

I just don't know what to think anymore. Wasn't Wickline supposed to be an offensive line guru? Seems like, even with an inexperienced line, he should be able to coach them up to be mediocre. They aren't even that.

24. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Very important point.
    Agreed. He didn't fail his way into this job. He deserves some time, however painful it might be at times.

25. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

If he's lost them after 14 games, then he never had them to begin with.

• Like Like x 3
  26. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

It's possible. But seriously, in conjunction with last year the far more accurate, reasonable, and credible statement is "We have no idea how good ND is, because Texas is a mess."

27. BananaChipBettor

BananaChipBettor 100+ Posts

We sound like Aggies with the "cupboard is bare" stuff. Chad Morris could have taken this team and beaten Baylor the other night. There are 100 coaches out there that would have put up more than 3 points last night.

The problem is that the coaches are stubborn. Their system is not designed for these players, but they are too proud to change it or maybe they don't know anything else. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. If the line isn't that great, you move the pocket, throw quick slants, etc.

• Like Like x 6
  28. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I really hope nobody says SMU has more talent than we do.... because they do not. We will see if we score 21 on Baylor this year.

• Like Like x 3
  29. BananaChipBettor

BananaChipBettor 100+ Posts

Someone alluded to this earlier, but I can't stand Strong's apathy towards the offense. Any question about the offense is always turned into something about the defense. Yes, you don't care about the offense and it shows. Your defense could pitch a shutout, but we still have to score to win, Charlie.

• Like Like x 4
  30. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I'm still riding with Charlie, but it's really time to start seeing improvement.

We didn't improve from the start of last season to the end, and we have not improved from last year to this. It won't take this fanbase long to jump ship.