Has Strong Lost Longhorn Nation?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by dukesteer, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Strong just doesn't have it. Sorry. But UTSA could beat us right now, and they are the youngest team in the FBS and they have been playing football for only 5 years. How many more games does it take to prove it to some of you? This guy is not going to bring anything here. He pretty much lost me last year at K State, and I've been right.

• Like Like x 1
  2. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

I'm still with Strong but he will need to get some real assistant coaches. I think unless a QB steps up we will be lucky to finish .500. There's some young talent that needs some good coaching quick. aggy had less talent than this when Manziel started so you can win some ball games with a good qb. If I was Strong you start Heard and Locksley is the back up for now. If Heard is not ready throw Locksley in there. There's no other options at this point.

3. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

That's a bunch of nonsense, the reality is that smu probably has better talent on the offensive line than we do. Did you watch the game, did you see how the O-Line looked like a bunch of high school players. If the talent was at UT to win, they would be winning, period.

4. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

In response to not trying, I believe that Swoopes lost the team. They know as well as we do that the offense has almost no prayer to make a first down. After a couple of series I dreaded to see our offense. The other players confidence rides on the offense and qb. Did they let up yesterday, maybe after realizing they couldn't move the ball. With Swoopes we have the worst offense in college football. He should not see the field again unless there's an emergency.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Put the pipe down!

6. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Really, so the 2 or 3 offensive lineman that they had that were drafted in the 1 round doesn't count? Or the wide receiver that ended up being a 1 round pick. They were all starting and playing when Manziel played as a red shirt freshman. I swear, some people, man.

7. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I hate to say it folks but even in a year or two when we are better we're gonna be out-coached in marquee match-ups.

Strong's team continues to show it beats who it should and gets hammered when facing a better opponent. Nothing has been achieved here that countless other coaches couldn't do with the higher quality athlete's our program attracts.

There's not one hint of the the so-called toughness and leadership CS preaches about in every press conference. According to CS, our getting wood-shedded was no longer acceptable. Please...it's the same smoke and mirrors ordeal as last year. All bark, no bite.

I mean really...14 games in and you get rolled by BYU (34), Baylor (21), Kansas St. (23), TCU (38), Akransas (24), and Notre Dame (35)??? There are 30 coaches out there who could match that abomination of results with the athletes UT attracts.

Excuses are for the weak in football. This is big time college football, and when Strong's number has been called in the big time, his team has crumbled even worse than Mack's final versions.

Give him all the rope and excuses you like...bottom line Texas football is a laughing stock right now and the buck stops at Strong and Patterson.

When 6 of your first 14 games (43%) end in 3 TD+ defeats...you flat out don't have what it takes at this level. This ain't Louisville, and CS and Watson have made that painfully obvious.

Funny how everyone trashed Red when he spoke out against the hire while some of us knew exactly where he was coming from. This is Texas, a second hand hire with high hopes isn't acceptable here...that's Aggy type of nonsense.

And here today we sit with those same Ags beating #15 ASU by 21 points, and we get skunked by 35 in the opener. I mean really, we are the 4th best football team in our own state...and even that's being generous.

Sure glad to know we have high character kids who sit in the front row of class and then get their teeth kicked in on Saturday. Yay! Might as well change #letsride to #letsrollover

• Like Like x 7
  8. BananaChipBettor

BananaChipBettor 100+ Posts

Haha. No, they don't. They just have coaches who know how to play to their strengths. We have a crappy line, so I have an idea.. Lets drop back and run slow developing plays. We don't need slants, screens, roll outs or the like.

9. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

In their first season in the SEC, A&M lost two games by a total of 8 points (I think that's right... 3 and 5... Florida and LSU). Beat Alabama on the road. First year quarterback.

I think what they had was an offensive line and a defensive line. Helps to have players in those positions. They were there because of Mike Sherman in the years prior. It takes ongoing, overlapping seasons, to build and maintain good linemen.

I have no idea what has been going on at Texs since 2009 that did not build multiple classes worth of 2-deep lineman. Never mind the skill positions on offense. Oh, and Texas always maintained a wealth of stellar defensive backs. What happened to that?

10. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Huh, yea they do, and stop acting like baylor' defense is the 85 Bears. They've always had a mediocre defense. Baylor is tech with Mike Leach, they just didn't have the luxury of playing against a down UT program and Ou program for 2 to 3 years like baylor has.

By the way, I seem to recall us running several plays were the ball was to be thrown quickly. On some of those plays the QB didn't throw the ball or our wide receivers didn't stick their foot in the ground and get up field. They tried to reverse field like they were back in high school. Also, you can only run so many slants and short route plays without the defense eventually sitting on those routes.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  11. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

"Strong's team continue to show it beats who it should and gets hammered when facing a better opponent". Thanks for making my point for me.

12. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

I've kept my mouth shut long enough. That **** last night was the last straw for me! Who the f**k is running this nut house? Patterson and Strong need to be shown the door NOW! I'm now terrified about our basketball hire. Sickening. We all know Augie should have gracefully retired at the end of the season, but here we are.

BTW, when do the $5 Randalls tix start? Too pricey for me!

13. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Whoa, chill out go for a walk or something, it's not the end of the world.

14. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

If ^^^happens I will be jumping off the Congress street bridge with cement shoes on.

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Not quite long enough, imo.
    So what happens now. You go quiet again?

16. Horngal12

Horngal12 100+ Posts

You know when Mack came in here, Mackovic had them 4-7 the year before. Mack didn't have his own players/system yet and they went 9-3. He never used "I don't have my own players" as an excuse. Sumlin took a mediocre A&M team under Sherman and had them with a huge year in his first year. Whenever someone tries to give me the excuse of "well they are Mack's players" I remind them that Mack was 8-5 with those players and they were a half out of playing in the BCS and peeled off 6 wins in a row after the fans had written them off. Excuses need to stop and truth needs to be told and received in order for hard choices and real change are to be made and succeed.

• Like Like x 4
  17. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

He doesn't. And never did. He was hired $P without input from anyone! That says it all.

18. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

As an SMU season ticket holder, I can unequivocally state that SMU's OL not only has worse talent than ours, but less size and less depth. Morris just knows what he's doing on offense. Our HC doesn't tell the OC who's in on each play. And he believes our QB is better now than December.

19. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Really? No our guys were all high school heroes who had 3-5 stars and had many offers from other top teams. For the most part SMU line didn't get any offers from top schools that is why they are at SMU.Some coaches are good and get everything out of their players and some don't. Ours don't !

20. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I'm not buying that at all, the reality is that there aren't too many college football teams whose offensive line is worse. And again, baylor does not have a very good defense. If June Jones was still the coach they would have put up 21 points. So, if some y'all want to crown a coach who put up 21 points and got blown out, then crown him.

21. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

What that might tell you is that these recruting services don't know what they are talking about. Go watch the game again and ask yourself, was Kent Perkins really that good coming out of high school or Sedrick Flowers. They were both highly touted and can't play at all, not mention they're being coached by a guy who is suppose to be a great offensive line coach. So, which is it, were they really not that good or does Coach Wickline not no what he's doing, I think it's the former.

22. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Yep, and both of those coaches had great players to build around. Ask yourself this, do we have any players on this roster as good as Ricky Williams, Wayne Mageraty and many other solid players, the answer to that is an obvious no. Sumlin also inherited a guy named Manziel if you don't remember. So, yeah, they both came in and did very well, but they were both left with players that they could build around and hit the ground running. Mack Brown left Coach Strong a bunch of garbage, which you can obviously see today.

So, the fact that there isn't very many good upper class players on this team which are the players that Mack Brown recruited is not an excuse it's a fact and a reality. Oh, by the way, who recruited the QB Swoopes the player you all say needs to be replaced and want to run out of town, that's right Mack Brown. And there's no way in hell Mackovic left Mack Brown the same offensive line talent or lack thereof that Mack Brown left Coach Strong.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  23. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Great coaches often win with mediocre talent.

Average coaches often lose with great talent.

Our talent is good enough to win most of our games. It is certainly good enough to be competitive in every game.

We were not competitive last night.

24. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Yep, good enough to win against the Kansas' and Texas Tech. But they will get handled by the good teams that they play. In the conference that they play in you to be able to score points, the offensive line play isn't good enough to do that.

25. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

"When 6 of your first 14 games (43%) end in 3 TD+ defeats..."

Brad, was also mentioned Sun night on Austin sports, that in about that many of those 14 games, the team scored less than 10 points in each.

What baffles me is that it's possible the coaches don't know what the team is capable of or how they will play. I had trusted the coaches fully grasped the talent level and capabilities, especially in the schemes on both sides of the ball.

The game went as if they were as shocked as anybody. They seem surprised the offense didn't work at all, was porous, incapable of holding off a defender, and so on. Hell, I believed the import I was getting from August practices, and was shocked that it looked like the team never practiced at all. That was possibly the worst game I've ever seen played by any college team ever. It wasn't even a fight, because the team didn't have a clue how to line up and run a play. It was as if they had no plan for blocking schemes or had a play that remotely had a chance of working. When TS rolled out on a potential pass, I have no idea why at least one underneath route wasn't open.

Was there no plan for even a good old Greg Davis flare out pass?
    No tight end cutting across? No sideline route. Nothing? If none of that could work, hell line up a 7-man front and at least run the ball. And get the hell outta the shotgun after you see it has no chance of a snowball...

• Like Like x 1
  26. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Makes one wonder what Strong and Watson's record would've been at Louisville without Bridgewater. Clearly the Minnesota Vikings starting quarterback was a mobile, elite college QB.

It's quite possible the results would've been much less with a pretty good QB instead of a stud like Teddy B running the show Strong's last 3 years.

Before Teddy they were 7-6 in Strong's first try. In Bridgewater's first year at QB they went 7-6. Once he gained a year of experience they jumped to 11-2 and 12-1. Sure there were other good players, but I'm starting to think Teddy B lifted that team to a high level, and not some special coaching job.

• Like Like x 1
  27. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Yes, so what. That was all they had. They had the worst D in football that year. We have some good receivers and backs.

28. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Every team needs a good QB and right now we are not playing one. Hopefully Heard or Locksley can be one.

29. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

It also makes you wonder how good Mack Brown really was without Vince or Colt, and also how good Belichick really is without Tom Brady. And you might want to do some research and see how many of those players from Louisville got drafted across the board, even with a pretty good QB Coach Strong would've been successful. Some of you have to start using common sense.

30. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Yep, and they had to out score every team they played. Sort of like baylor has to do when they play good teams.