Has Texas ever rushed the field?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Ajo Macho, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

My guess is no. Certainly not since I've been following the team, but maybe some of the old-timers can remember one I can't.

A few reasons we don't:

1. Our biggest rivalry game is never played at home.
    2. Our second-biggest rival (A&M), we usually expected to beat them, so rushing the field didn't make sense or would be somewhat embarrassing.
    3. Fields are usually stormed after an upset. Even when we're not as highly ranked, we're still usually the bigger name on the field.
    4. Our home crowd isn't as wild and crazy as some other places.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised to hear we stormed the field sometime back in the 1920s or something like that. Probably against some team like Rutgers.

2. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I don’t know about storming the field but I remember being on the field after many games in the 60s.

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I believe it was the 1990 Houston game which resulted in the infamous comment from Wally Pryor, "Someone get that idiot off the goalpost."

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  4. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

We were-
    '86 crap
    '87 mediocre
    '88 crap
    '89 crap
    Not much call to be highfalutin.

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not one for excuses, but that 86 team had more injuries than any team in Texas history.

When we went to Lubbock, there were only two LBs that could play, and one was a walkon.

Difference in 86 & 87, was kicker missed the FG at Lubbock in 86 and made it in Memorial Stadium in 87.

6. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Yep, that's the one. My wife bought us tickets for that game as a birthday present for me. She definitely got her money's worth out of that purchase.

7. Mike the Texan

Mike the Texan 250+ Posts

Yes. 1990 Houston game my junior year. Texas was the first team to figure out the run and shoot and beat Houton pretty good after getting humiliated by them the previous few years. Student section emptied onto the field as time expired.

- Mike

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn 500+ Posts

I have wondered about this and wished for it as long as I can remember. I have been on the field at DKR numerous times because of my dad, but just once I want to rush it. I'm 34 now, but I'll do it when I'm 75 if I have to. Another reason to keep in shape.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Students could jump onto the field in the early 90’s, though they weren’t many opportunities. The stadium shut that down around the mid-90’s. I vaguely recall one game where students went onto the field.

10. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

We rushed the Drag pretty hard after the '69 Big Shootout, but we couldn't really rush the field since it was hundreds of miles away. We also rushed the Drag after Harry Larrabee and company upset UH in roundball.

11. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Part of the student section was on the sideline with 4 minutes left to play. Can't do that anymore.

12. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

1990 Houston was a true rush the field but for several years when I was at UT in the late 80’s and early 90’s you could just walk onto the field after the game once the players had left so we would routinely walk across the field after game so we didn’t have to walk around stadium to get back to Jester.

13. Mike the Texan

Mike the Texan 250+ Posts

A bunch of students rushed the field, but not in a victory. There was a crazy downpour on opening night versus Missouri in 1996. Out of nowhere, a massive, cold rain began to fall. There was a stoppage of play and they announced that everyone had to get into the concorse due to lightening.

A number of students jumped over the rail and started sliding across the new grass surface as security ran after them.

There were over 90,000 that night, and it took forever for those of us in the upper deck to get under the stands. We we're soaked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Chatty Cathey

Chatty Cathey < 25 Posts

Remember this well! Yhis was my freshman year.

15. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Jeff Ward was the kicker in '86, but don't know who it was the next year...

16. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

yep, we routinely went down on the field after games (win or lose) in the 80's. In fact my youngest brother (9 years younger than me) went in the locker room with Gene Chilton and someone else that I can't recall after a game--they had a game program and got multiple autographs while in there. He still has the program

17. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

The Big Shootout or the BB game?
    I was a senior at S F Austin high school in 69. Started UT in 1970.
    I don't remember what year the UH victory was but I was a UT student so it was after 1970.
    Both of those events on the drag were epic!

18. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

This thread made me think back to the final Southwest Conference football game in Collieville in 1995, after which our fans rushed the field and unfortunately got the **** beat out of them by a bunch of aggy skinheads. God bless you, James Brown and Bryant Westbrook, that was a win for the ages....

• Like Like x 2
  19. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

1989 Oklahoma game, a 28-24 win as a 16 point dog. North goal posts came down fast.

20. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

It happened every game from the North end zone until money killed the “knothole section”.

21. Randall Ward

Randall Ward < 25 Posts

Didn't DKR say act like you been there before, so why rush the field, unless you win the National Title.

• Like Like x 1
  22. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I guess I qualify as an old-timer. Going back to the mid-60's, I never remember UT fans in mass "rushing the field". I do remember some fans wandering onto the field after some games at Memorial Stadium and some at road games, At some point fans coming onto the field was stopped at most stadiums, probably due to security concerns.

Didn't attend the 1990 game vs. Houston at Memorial Stadium, so I don't know, but it sounds like the field was "rushed" after that game.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  23. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

My roommate and I went down to the field at the end of DKRs last game of his career (a victory over piggy that ensured he would not have a losing season). IIRC there was quite a crowd from the stands though I don't remember any kind of mob mentality (see Lubbock 10/31/08).
    It just seemed like the thing to do at the time; and no I was not influenced by S'mores-flavored schnapps.

24. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I was at that game too. I went to most home games in the mid 90’s before I got married. Hopefully I can move closer to Austin and go to more home games in the future. 94’ to 96’ were some fun years at DKR, so we’re 98’ to 09’. My little brother was a holder for Bevo in the mid 90’s. I got on the field for all those games.

25. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Two of my favorite Longhorns plus Ricky.

26. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

Same here. Get those knothole tickets watch the game and go on the field after the game. It wasn't rushing the field, you could just go down an walk around among the players. I wasn't smart enough to get autographs, but it was cool being down there.

27. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Not often that a neutral field gets rushed.

28. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Didn't we rush the field against Nebraska in 1996 Big 12 title game?