Hawaii Lawmakers Pass Bill to Create 'Islam Day'

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Rip76, May 7, 2009.

1. Rip76

Rip76 1,000+ Posts

HONOLULU -- Hawaii's state Senate overwhelmingly approved a bill Wednesday to celebrate "Islam Day" -- over the objections of a few lawmakers who said they didn't want to honor a religion connected to Sept. 11, 2001.

The Link

Thoughts?

2. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

there are a lot of muslims in hawaii and politicians need to get elected. they think this will help.

3. MTF

MTF 1,000+ Posts

Without knowing more about the bill, I feel about the same as I did when George W. Bush proclaimed "Jesus Day" in Texas back in 2000. I'd prefer if government stayed out of the religion business. But I'm not a resident of Hawaii, so I don't care all that much.

4. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

When I first saw this story I thought they were wanting to call September 11th Islam Day.

5. BrothaHorn

BrothaHorn 1,000+ Posts

Well it is Obama's homestate..I'm just sayin [​IMG]

6. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

How ironic is it that this story comes out the day before the National Day of Prayer gets shoved up into the White House attic somewhere?

7. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

Stupid question, but why is there a National Day of Prayer?

8. Murphy'sBoy

Murphy'sBoy 1,000+ Posts

Stupid question, but why is there a National Day of Prayer?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seems like a good question to me.

9. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

10. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Are they going to have a Methodists Day? A Zoroastrian Day? A Hindu, Shinto, Buddist, Baptist, Jewish, Episcopalian and a Catholic Day?
    Why not?

11. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

who gives a ****? it's as stupid as a national day of prayer or well....anything having to do with religion and our country.