HD Camcorder Questions

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Bevo71, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

I am thinking about getting either a Canon HF200 or Canon HG20.

Just wondering how complicated it will be to burn the video to DVDs and keep the high quality video? ? Some owner reviews I have read talk about the image ending up being 720p instead of the 1080, and needing a blu-ray or PS3 to get the most out of it.

Then there is storage, battery life, etc.

Anyone out there have an HD camcorder who can advise?

2. Holden

Holden 500+ Posts

My understanding is the 100 and 10 do a better job in lowlight and is one of the models I'm looking at. I have not heard what you have re: not true HD repro.

3. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

I was looking at reviews on Amazon and cnet.com .

4. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

Just bought a HF200 a couple of weeks ago, and my wife and I love it. Sure, it may not be the greatest camera in low light conditions, but it does well in most other conditions.

If you have a Mac, editing is a breeze.

Battery life is fine, but we bought a larger battery (still waiting for it to ship...)

As far as storage goes, you can get a 16GB Class 6 SDHC card for $40.

I paid around $599 on Amazon, which puts it well under the HF20, and the HFS10/100.

I'll post a link to some sample videos in a day or two.

5. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

How do you burn those onto a DVD? Do they also require blu ray to play them in true Hd?

6. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

would love to see the sample videos. i am looking at a camcorder for the wife's bday in late august and would like to stay in the $500-600 range if possible.

7. MikeUT89

MikeUT89 25+ Posts

Editing in AVHDC is supposedly very hard. I haven't even tried on my 2005 era Dell Dimension.

For HD you must have a blu ray burner.

8. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

9. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

I should be getting some video up soon from the HF 200.

As far as AVCHD goes, we've had no problem editing in full quality on a 13" Mac Book using iMovie. We're not big time movie makers, but it works fine for us, and it was free with the Mac. I can confirm the difficulty with doing anything with AVCHD on a PC, as my attempts to edit have been unsuccessful (but it plays back just fine in Windows 7).

I just need to edit and put together some videos, and find a place to host them where I can get as high a quality as possible. If anyone has any recomendations, let me know.

10. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

11. leehookem21

leehookem21 100+ Posts

vimeo.com as well