HDMI input problem

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by HornHawk, Jun 2, 2009.

1. HornHawk

HornHawk 250+ Posts

So I have the Series 450 (32 inch) Samsun LCD TV and it has been working perfectly until yesterday. A friend of my daughter plugged in a PS2 into the TV (I wasn't there when he did it) and the game played fine. Then they disconnected it and when I turned on my TV this morning it didn't work at all. The HDMI was plugged into slot 1, so I tried it in both Slots 1 and 2 on the back of the TV with no success. I then plugged it into Slot 3 on the side of the TV and it works fine that way. It is terribly inconvenient to have it on the side because the cord is not long enough and now I have to buy a new, longer HDMI cord for it to reach. What bugs me is that neither HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 function at all. Is there something I am missing in the setup? I went into the menu and couldn't figure out anything there. I have DISH network and everytime I plug into HDMI 1 or 2, it shows "No signal." I just can't figure out why it would work perfectly fine on the 3rd input selection (usually used for game or DVD inputs) but not on the regular HDMI inputs in the back of the TV. Any thoughts?

2. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

From the description, it sounds like Slot 3 (the one that now works) is part of the 'auxilary' input panel on the front/side of the TV, rather than the ones in the back; presumably, this is what the PS/2 got plugged into. If that one now works and the ones in back don't, it seems like your TV is being 'told' to accept only auxilary inputs. Is there a switch somewhere on the aux panel that controls this? It seems like a strange design, but it's almost like your HDMI inputs are an either/or, and for whatever reason the TV thinks it should be looking at the aux panel.

One other thing to try would be to plug in some component cables into the back panel and see if you get a signal that way. In other words, do none of the inputs on the back of the TV accept a signal, or just the HDMI ones?

3. Navyfan

Navyfan 100+ Posts

Agree with the above. It sure seems to be the input that is selected. You should have a menu item on your tv to select between HDMI 1, 2 and 3.

Find that and you should be in good shape.

4. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Yep, sounds like the kids plugged the ps2 into a different input than you had selected in setup and switched it over but didn't switch it back. Should be as simple as selecting the correct input.

5. HornHawk

HornHawk 250+ Posts

Well, when I plug a cable into HDMI 1 or 2, and then go to the setup menu and the "Input" submenu, there are three HDMI selections and the one the cable is plugged into is highlighted. I will select that, but I'll still get a "no signal" reading on the TV. I'll try putting a component cable into the back of the TV and see what that does.

6. hlaustin

hlaustin 250+ Posts

Try a reset to the TV. Unplug the HDMI from the TV.
    Unplug TV from the power and let sit for 20 minutes.
    Plug in the HDMI cable from the unit to the TV then plug power in of the TV. Switch TV to the input that the device is plugges into then power on the device you are using.

What is the device you are trying to plug into the TV.

7. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

It sounds to me that the HDCP signals are failing to sync up properly. That can give you a no signal error when you source signal is fine. Hopefully the power cycling (real power cycling by unplugging as suggested above) will reset it.

I am assuming all the devices are HDCP compatible. If not you might need an HDCP stripper.

I use one of these to make my older non-HDCP compliant HD compatible projector work with HDCP compliant sources.The Link

8. HornHawk

HornHawk 250+ Posts

I will try the reset option. I was just trying to run the HDMI cable from my DISH network HD box to the TV. Unplugging the TV was something I hadn't even thought of and will give it a try tonight. THanks for all the suggestions.

9. grinch

grinch 25+ Posts

If your Sammy is anything like my 650, then you can also try updating the firmware from Samsungs website.