Heard stats

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by hornpharmd, Sep 20, 2015.

1. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

In 2 games:

Passing - 24/38 (63%), 484 yards (12.7 yards/attempt), 2 TD, 1 INT
    Rushing - 34 car, 259 yards (7.62/carry), 3 TD
    Total - 72 touches, 743 yards (10.3 yards/touch), 5 TD

Haven't seen these numbers since VY days and it took over a year to really get comfortable with the offense.

• Like Like x 3
  2. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

And this is why changing the offense was the worst mistake Mack ever made. Before VY our offense was stunted and only worked because we out talented other teams, and Major Applewhite. VY literally made our offense go on steroids. Greg Davis did well to borrow the zone read and just go with it. Going back to the old way with the personel we had and still with Greg Davis, along with Gilbert being a bust set this program back 6 years.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

I like some of the little things I see with Heard. He seems ahead of where Vince was his first year as far as passing the ball. His eyes seem like they stay down field even while he scrambles. He displayed that ability on several plays, including that illegal fwd pass that was called back. He sees a good portion of the field. He has enough arm strength to make the college throws.

We'll know more once we face a tougher defense, but I like where he is at. I think he's further along than VY at the same stage of their careers

• Like Like x 1
  4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

You could tell that's exactly what he was saying on the broadcast, he said something to CS before jumping into the sideline huddle and CS got a big smile on his face and slapped his head. I definitely like the confidence.

Agreed also that he appears much better than Vince at this point in his career in terms of throwing the ball and finding receivers. I love that he got all the receivers involved, including the running backs - we have been wasting J-Gray by not using him more on wheel route and swing passes. He's not Vince in terms of running, but only because Vince's size and strength are just beyond where Heard will ever be. But he's got more suddenness than Vince had.

6. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Interesting observation from Chance Mock.

Maybe it’s due to being in a smaller frame than VY, but it looked to me like Heard’s first steps are about as quick as anyone I have ever seen. And his top end jets are good enough to outrun most anyone. I have no bias so this is strictly objective fact.

7. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin