Heathrow

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by NickDanger, Apr 9, 2012.

1. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

There used to be a poster in London and I can't remember the username. My 20yo son has a 13 hour layover at Heathrow and we want to book him the most convenient and cheapest hotel. If anyone can help with the poster's name or a recommendation, I would be very grateful.

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Are you thinking about Horn in London? If so, he is now Horn in Hong Kong and has not lived there in a few years now.

3. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

Maybe London Ollie?

4. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

They actually offer tours for extended layovers at Heathrow and Gatwick. Bus tours or Taxi tours, I did that back in the day and it was pretty cool for the next time I was in London I had an idea of what I wanted to explore more. London is a great city, full of so much history it would suck to be in a hotel room for 12 hours.

5. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

He arrives in London at dinner time (like food in GB is an attraction) and his flight is at breakfast time. There is an an establishment called Yotel that looks promising. He's not the kind to cat around London all night and not the kind to sit in an airport chair for 13 hours either. He just needs a place to lie down and Yotel seems to fit the bill. I don't travel much anymore and am not a member of any airline clubs.

6. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

I thought there was a LondonOllie that used to post here, also

7. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

I prefer flying to Europe, deplaning, and reboarding the same plane 90 minutes later and coming back with my bags full of duty free items.

8. LondonOllie

LondonOllie 250+ Posts

Hello. I'm actually back in London right now visiting family. There are a bunch of hotels near Heathrow of various budgets that he can stay at with a 13 hour layover.

Not sure what you want him to be doing on that layover, or how old he is, but he could either stay pretty close to the airport, or just take the Heathrow Express train into London, which is only a 30 minute or so journey and stay centrally.

If he wants to get out, eat in a nice restaurant/go out that night etc...that would be an option.

Again...not knowing his age, what he likes to do, your comfort level for him to be out clubbing (if he is into that) etc....I can't really advise much beyond at this point.

I'll have a little check back in the next day if you can provide me with more information.

Oh...again....don't dismiss the food in London. In the 70s, yes food was not great for the most part. However in 2012, there are some excellent restaurants. I'm trying to get a table for my wife and I at Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester if I can. Trust me...you can find very good food in London.

Ollie

9. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I very much appreciate the advvce. He will be 20 and not into clubbing. I booked him into what looks like a cabin at Yotel. This kid has had 50 camping nights (pithching tents and sleeping on rocks) not including leading a 78 mile trek at boy scout camp at Philmont so austere is something he can handlle. He just needs more than a chair in the airport

We like him a lot.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

10. LondonOllie

LondonOllie 250+ Posts

I'm sitting here watching the Chinese F1 GP so have a few mins to type something up for you...

Nick...as he is 20, but not into clubbing etc, you could always suggest he head into London (again a pretty quick train journey) and do something like this:

The Link

I've not done anything like this, but it might be a fun thing to do. They have tours at 8:45pm at night, so if he is getting in anytime 7pm or earlier, he would be absolutely fine.

If he wants to do this, then this is how he would get there:

1: Heathrow to Paddington Station London...purchase return ticket on the Heathrow Express train. Journey time quicker than I thought - 15 to 20 minutes.

https://www.heathrowexpress.com

2: From Paddington, he could always just take a London bus (red ones you always see). Get on a number 436 bus. Paddington is the end of the line so you won't have to worry about which direction the bus is heading as it only can go one way, and Paddington bus station is right there when you come out of the train station. Tell the driver you want to get off at Victoria Bus Station. Allow about 30 minutes, but might be a bit quicker...traffic depending.

The Link

Alternative is to take the tube, but he would need to change trains. That route would be Bakerloo line southbound. Change at Oxford Circus and get onto the Victoria line heading south and get off at Victoria. Might be a tad quicker but you do have to change trains.

The Link

JUST SAW THAT YOU CATCH THE BUS A MINUTE UP THE ROAD...SEE HERE:
    The Link

I think he should spend the money and head into London. He has the time.

Ollie

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

If he were into clubbing I would have suggested Fabric. I know a Gorilla named Bolo that dj's there.

[​IMG]

12. LondonOllie

LondonOllie 250+ Posts

I remember Fabric back in the day.....but I've been away so long now (as a resident) and am too old for clubbing. I'm actually thankful when bouncers turn me away at the door these days [​IMG]

13. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Cool advice. He is going there on an engineering scholarship deal from Alabama and I hear he has made contact with a female from the other 17 UA or SEC students who will be living in private homes in Pamplona. Bama has been berry berry go to heem.

14. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Ollie, have you seen The Mighty Boosh?

15. LondonOllie

LondonOllie 250+ Posts

Sorry for the delay. I've been back home in London and not really been logging on.
    Yep, seen The Mighty Boosh. Out there and funny.

16. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Bolo is the Gorilla from Mighty Boosh and he spins at Fabric from time to time!