heckuva speech, Trumpy

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by huisache, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

It's another virtue signaling stunt by the left to tell others that they're good people. Most conservatives are on Ukraine's side but aren't going to put a foreign flag in their bios to prove it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Totally agree on keeping the electoral college. It is a very complicated brief to present but in short, the states are analogous to individuals. The federal government shouldn't be all powerful over individuals or the states.

As for states rights in general, it's another nuance, but what is wrong with freedoms, values and cultures grouping together within individual state borders? We can migrate to where we wish to exist. Certainly, there are truths that are self-evident on the general welfare plane, but they should be equal in application and not targeting certain sub-groups.

Abortion is not tricky to me though I wouldn't ban it outright. I think the Texas law (six-weeks) was too early to ban it. Maybe move it to 12 weeks. To me, life should begin around the time of the survival of the earliest premature baby on record. I don't know what that would be. Maybe shave a few weeks off of that. I would assume 12 weeks would cover it.

That's probably why I'm a Democrat (along with my belief that gay people should be allowed to marry).

But abortion is about life and abortion on demand at any stage of the pregnancy is just wrong to me. It's not about women's rights or bodies. It's about the life of the baby and they are in hysterics over this.

"How dare YOU!" Kamala.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

By
    Do you think Republicans today are against gay marriage?
    What Republican has condemned it in past few years?.
    Remember Obama was against same sex marriage.

IMO your views are too logical and common sense to call yourself a Dem

4. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I'm not against the electoral collage and I only threw it out there as a joke. However, the power of the rural states combined with the power of the senate is not healthy. I think it won't change anytime soon. I'm sure there are some political scientists somewhere who agree with me.

5. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I'm not by, but I think Obama's stance and that of the "left" and popular culture in general is an indication of how fast societal changes can transpire.

6. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I think the faction represented by Abbott and others are against it.

And I am definitely aware that the Democrats have changed their views. I guess what matters to the Liberals is not what they once were (see Robert Byrd) but what they are now and who are the beneficiaries of their power.

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Ok Bubba
    Which Repubs Pols have come out against gay marriage lately.?

Btw I support Your right to your misguded views
    But no matter how often you try to make yourself to be all brave for being an okie posting on Hornfans you will not get a Participation Trophy

8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

by
    Could you be more specific?

9. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

A. I don't know if any have come out against it. That's not to say that it won't happen quickly now that the power of the SCOTUS has adjusted the calculus.

B. What are you referencing?

10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Bubba
    You have posted several times about being willing to come here and post your opinions.

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Bubba
    On your point A :lmao:
    That is the weakest ever.
    "Well it might happen"
    And pigs might fly

12. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Because I am and I get treated like **** from a decent % of people. I think everyone should learn to communicate in a world where you are a minority opinion and you have to defend your opinions. Much like how Austin, Texas impacts football players, our information bubbles are making us softer and less agile. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I did not know about Maine GOP convention. Horrible decision, 1800 people. Some of whom asked that to be removed.
    They do not represent the Republican party view anymore that those who want a law allowing abortion even during labor represent Democrats

15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Thank you. Obviously, I'm not the smart one. I got the idea from James Madison. He came up with an excellent system. It's there and works great when we're willing to follow it. Just hope the self-righteous busybodies in our country don't ruin it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 6, 2022
  16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D
    :bow:
    Many if us work hard as volunteers for candidates we think will support that system.
    There are more of us every day.
    One thing we have learned is the necessity of getting rid of those who pretended to align with that just to get elected. Traitor incumbents can no longer get automatic support.

17. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Because it is an easy and painless virtue signaling opportunity. Leftists love that crap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I think it has been a left wing thing from the start. It is the latest fad the regime wants their subject to pledge allegiance about.

There are non-leftist reasons to support Ukraine. They are fighting a just, defensive war. But this whole "if you don't tow the party line you are a Putin apologist" is straight out of Disinformation Governance activity.

20. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Actually it is healthy. It treats each State as a sovereign entity.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm sure there are many who agree with you. Most political scientists (which is a bit of a misnomer) lean left. However, I don't think it's unhealthy. It keeps smaller states from being walked on. Either way, to the extent you view it as a bad thing, its impact is inversely proportional to how much we respect federalism. Those rednecks in rural Alabama can't hurt you in California if you both respect each other's rights to build your own societies and cultures.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Fear mongering, that's what he understands because that's what he accuses conservatives of doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

About Abbott?

As far as I'm concerned he is a right wing Christian zealot. I don't think there's any doubt about it.

24. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

What did the directive say and do?

26. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I don't know. For me, it's enough to prove how he thinks. If you can't see it then that's your perspective. I'm convinced. He's a right-wing Christian zealot and I can't stand those people. My ex-wife is very supportive of Abbott and she's the one who took me to the Supreme Court of the United States to have our divorce overturned because, "... the no-fault divorce laws of Texas infringe upon my (hers) freedom of religion." She's as nutty as they come and Abbott is her hero.

• Like Like x 1
  27. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I mean, you're right. Until the right wing elites determine that they think school segregation would be good. Or that California liberals shouldn't be able to ____________. And, you know that there would be a significant portion who would lose their state's rights mantra.

28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

by
    Crazy people support Biden etc.
    Abbott may be right wing Christian Zealot but did he actually do anything negative in the directive you mentioned?

29. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

bystander, you are making like Abbott. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Sorry man. My verdict is in. He is a zealot and I don't like him. It's that simple.