Help in San Antonio!

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by denchen, Jan 11, 2008.

1. denchen

denchen 100+ Posts

Looking for suggestion on where to take a 12 person out of town group for dinner in SA. Want to show then a slice of Texas...was wondering if anyone can suggest a couple of places, both for BBQ and for Mexican. At a hotel off of Colonnade and I-10, but am willing to drive someplace else (under 20 minutes). Thanks!

2. Gone To Texas

Gone To Texas 500+ Posts

The original Rudy's is a short drive out I-10 to Leon Springs (although I'm not a huge fan, it seems to be very popular).

Excellent Tex-Mex near your hotel include Los Barrios (on Blanco near Basse) and La Fogata (on Vance Jackson just inside the loop), and both easily can accommodate a large group.

3. AlamoHeightsHorn

AlamoHeightsHorn 100+ Posts

[​IMG] La Fogota is a good suggestion, but I would also consider Paloma Blanca and La Fonda on Main.

OR if you can swing downtown go to Rosarios.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. robr

robr 100+ Posts

MiTierra's downtown is a legendary Mexican food place, open 24 hours. I like their Cabrito (goat), which is somewhat difficult to find. It's next to a Mexican market where you can get a sombrero or twelve.

5. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

I second Paloma Blanca. Do Mi Tierra if you really want the tourista experience, otherwise, the calm relaxed elegance of Paloma Blanca is great, and they handle large groups (make reservations).

There are a couple of fairly recent threads on SA barbecue, so I'd search for those. With a group your size, I'd consider driving 30 minutes up 35 to Gruene. Wander around the shops, eat it the Grist Mill, get a cold one at Gruene Hall. It won't really showcase Texas 'cue, but it is a nice little slice of Central Texas.

6. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

There are a couple of barbecue options downtown if transportation is an issue. Harmon's at Alamo Plaza may or may not be any good. The primary location is in Cibolo and is excellent (20-25 minute drive from downtown). They likely truck in the food for the downtown locale. County Line is on the River Walk. It is as good as any County Line, so take that however you like.

7. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I'd definitely go to Los Barrios (Diane punked Bobbly Flay in a puppy taco throwdown) over Paloma Blanco (ate there last weekend because one of my oldest friends had to eat there and spent close to $100 per couple for ****** mexican food) or La Fonda. Those last two are toned down mexican food for decayed gentry. El Mirador would be my first choice, but it's slightly south of downtown.

There is no decent mexican food on the river that I am aware of.

8. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

Puppy taco? Are we talking Mexican food or Chinese? I know you meant "puffy;" I'm just giving you a hard time. Admittedly, I've only eaten at Los Barrios once, but it was horrid.

I both agree and disagree with your assessment of Paloma Blanca. Paloma Blanca is not Tex-Mex, and it doesn't try to be. While it is not the best food in town, it is consistently good to very good. The prices have gone up considerably over the years, but that's true with Mi Tierra, Rosario's, La Fogata, and La Fonda. I think your description of "toned down Mexican food for decayed gentry" applies to La Fonda at Sunset Ridge (which should never be confused with La Fonda on Main), but I don't think it applies to Paloma Blanca. And I don't know what your party ordered, but my wife and I rarely pay more than $50-$60 for the two of us.

I like to take out of town guests to Paloma Blanca because it is near my house, very relaxing, accommodating to large parties, and quiet enough to where a party of 12 can easily converse with the entire table. You can't say that about most of the places that have been suggested. The food is also very consistent, and my guests have always enjoyed their experience there.

I know a lot of people swear by Los Barrios, but I'm not one of them. Still, depending on the atmosphere and experience that the OP is seeking, it may be the better choice.

9. denchen

denchen 100+ Posts

thanks, everyone! i think we can actually try more than one of your mexican food suggestions, so it's good to have the options. as for bbq, i took the group down to the original rudy's and...i have to say that this is a case where the original is NOT the best. each of the austin area rudy's has had better brisket than this one. at this one, you don't get a choice of moist/lean/extra lean, no option for jalapeno sausage, and no st. louis ribs! [​IMG]

10. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I meant to type "puppy". It's an old joke from law school. La Fonda on main is better than the one at Sunset Ridge, but I still maintain they are all three bland. My wife swears by a vegetarian chili relleno at Paloma's, but I just don't think the food has much flavor. We had several margaritas @ about $9.00 and that accounted for a good chunk of the bill. They weren't special either.

11. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

I'm a big fan of Los Barrios. Over Thanksgiving, my folks took us to the new HUGE one out off 1604. That would be a great place to entertain a big group, much better than the original (for entertaining, that is). I don't know what Paloma Blanco is but I've not lived down there since '98.

12. rage-a-holic

rage-a-holic 250+ Posts

La Fonda. I haven't been to Grist Mill in a few years, but the food and service was awful last visit.

13. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Is El MIrador the one with the banana plants out front? Been a long time since I have been there if so.

Rosarios is one of my favorites.

14. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

It's not barbecue or Mexican, but The Barn Door on Bandera Road is about as Texas as it gets.

15. AlamoHeightsHorn

AlamoHeightsHorn 100+ Posts

I think Los Barrios is just OK and have felt this way my entire life... my best friend's parents growing up loved it and I was always mad when we'd end up there when I was spending the night at his house....

El Mirador, Cafe Salsita ( Breakfast and Lunch only) SoLuna, Paloma Blanca, La Fonda on Main, and Rosarios are the top 6 in my opinion

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. trkhorn

trkhorn 25+ Posts

I took a huge out of town group to Acenar recently and they loved it. It is owned by Lisa Wong who also owns/runs Rosario's. The menu is not exactly traditional Tex-Mex, but my guests were knocked out by the guacamole, flour tortillas, and queso fundido, so much so that some didn't even order entrees. I had a steak that was other-worldly. It has a very modernish decor and is right on the Riverwalk in the Valencia Hotel. Not a "traditional" SA spot, but very impressive to visitors and is locally-owned/operated.

17. zinger

zinger 250+ Posts

"Josephine Street Cafe" and try the peppered steak. Also has an old west bar.