Help me make coffee

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by SAChick, Mar 14, 2008.

1. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

2. Doug E. Fresh

Doug E. Fresh 25+ Posts

3. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Received my new Capresso Black Infinity Conical Burr Coffee Grinder and it has 16 grind settings (4 each for extra fine, fine, regular and coarse). Do I use the same grind setting for drip coffee and french press?

4. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

5. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Thanks. I was thinking that you used a finer grind for french press than drip and I have been using the gold filter that came with my grind and brew coffee maker. I know that you want a really fine grind for expresso but since I do not drink expresso.....well, sometimes I'll add a red eye to my coffee but rarely. Thanks for all the great info!!

6. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

TTT

Por favor

[​IMG]

7. plimon

plimon 25+ Posts

Has someone tried the Aeropress? I just got one and have not had the time to try it out.

Link

8. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

I use an AeroPress for most of my regular coffee making. It's among the best coffee makers available and it's less than $30. It's especially useful for making just a cup or two at a time. However, don't use the instructions that come with it. Use these: Sweet Maria's AeroPress instructions. Despite the AeroPress promotion literature, it in no way replaces an espresso machine. That's just ridiculous, but it makes a fantastic cup of coffee if you pay attention to the rest of the details.

Coffee aficionados like the AeroPress because you can duplicate the process used by the $10,000 Clover coffeemaker--what many experts consider the world's best. Not bad for $30.

I'd recommend purchasing freshly roasted medium-roast beans and a burr grinder (not a whirly blade grinder). If the beans have visible oil on their surface, they're probably over-roasted and I'd avoid them. Try beans from Kenya and Guatemala and you'll have a great cup to enjoy.

For anyone else looking for one in Austin, Sur La Table at the Domain stocks them as well as replacement paper filters.

9. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

10. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

While single cup brewers such as the Keurig are convenient, they hardly make good coffee. The coffee in the pods is stale long before it sees a machine. The $30 AeroPress (and any number of other brew methods) with freshly roasted, quality beans blow it completely away. If you don't believe me, you've never had really good coffee.

11. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I believe you: I don't even drink coffee. I bought one for my wife though and she loves it. There is no mess and it is so, so simple. And when she wants something more gourmet, she can grind coffee beans and use a filter. The kids like it too. They use it for hot chocolate and don't make a mess of the counter. And I wouldn't mind using it for Tea or Cider in the winter.

12. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

interesting thread. However... remember the OP, SAChick?

I wonder if she just threw up her hands, said screw it and went to hot chocolate. [​IMG]

13. Bye Week

Bye Week 250+ Posts

I'll defer to hornian and Rusty's as to whether a 3-2-1, 2-2-1 or other method is appropriate in this scenario.

14. cmvUT75

cmvUT75 100+ Posts

15. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

I've contended for a long time that the reason the coffee industry is successful with products such as Folger's, Maxwell House, Keurig, Mr. Coffee, Starbucks, etc. is that mediocre coffee is drinkable. Not really any different than the mass market for beer, wine, hamburgers, tea, you name it. However, it's worth noting that all of these markets also offer products of exceptional quality with higher customer satisfaction if you are willing to seek it out. For some people it's worth it and for others it's not. For me, starting every day with an exceptional cup of coffee is worth it. I'm not a big tea drinker, but I'm ok with regular ol' Lipton or other mass market tea. I know tea drinkers who think I have an unsophisticated taste in tea and I'm sure I do. I just don't drink enough of it to matter to me. Coffee, on the other hand, is another matter.

16. stina

stina 100+ Posts

Try things. I think that's the ticket. Everyone has different tastes. You like the Mochas, OK, recognize that mocha includes chocolate. In the case of most restaurants that means chocolate syrup. There are coffee beans flavored with cocoa. Look at those. Then try some different roasts of coffee with cocoa. Buy small amounts to try and test until YOUR tastes are happy.

17. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

18. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

19. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Cafe Bustelo, a relatively inexpensive espresso, measure out to taste (me, about 3/4-1 tbsp) into large coffee cup, add 12 oz water, microwave on nomral power for 1 minute 22 seconds, let stand in microwave for 3 minutes, open door, remicrowave for 1 minute 10 seconds, strain 4 times using ordinary kitchen strainer, rinsing cup and strainer each pass.

Edit: Nothing else works.

20. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

21. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

22. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

You obviously didn't follow the instructions with any degree of precision.

Do we really need smilies for everything?

23. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

Further evidence that mediocre coffee sells.