Henry Melton was a punt returner here?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by 93ex, Nov 11, 2012.

1. 93ex

93ex 100+ Posts

According to Cris Collingsworth he was. That's funny! I know he started as a RB, but a punt returner???? Come on. [​IMG]

2. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

i laughed at the same thing....

3. BRay2244

BRay2244 500+ Posts

No, that was Henry Shelton that returned punts here

4. longbeau

longbeau 25+ Posts

Oh yeah, Henry Shelton. He was a great punt returner back when Romance Taylor and Jonathan Gary played here. Those were the glory days.

5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Collinsworth screwed up, but he's sure giving a lot of love to Melton.

6. tejas77

tejas77 1,000+ Posts

He was on the kickoff return team (as one of the up men) and returned some kicks if I remember correctly. Maybe that's what he meant?

7. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Yeah he never returned a punt. He was an up-man and returned a kick for 9 yards against UNT in the first game of 2006.

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

The radio announcers commented about his freakish athletic ability and said that he could be used as a RB too if needed. Uh, maybe not. Hell of an athlete and I am so happy for him to be in the league but we all know about his lack of desire for contact as a RB.

9. Win

Win 100+ Posts

Makes you wonder how good he would have been had they redshirted him to let him learn the position while he was in school. He was still pretty good for having changed the positions and it was to DE first.

10. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

I always liked Randy Skelton.

11. snow leopard27

snow leopard27 250+ Posts

Late in the NC game against USC, he made a fantastic sliding catch on one of their kick offs. I didn't notice it at the time from the stands, but watching the replay I remember thinking that had he muffed that it could have cost us any chance at the come back.

12. jagdilly69

jagdilly69 100+ Posts

I'm all in on a #69 Shelton jersey. Now hopefully he's a Bear for a while! My Bears Vasher jersey is a waste!

13. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Vasher played well for the Bears, led the NFL in interceptions one year, had a 108 yard kick return and limited Marvin Harrison to 59 yards receiving in the Super Bowl.

I don't think your Vasher Jersey was wasted.

14. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

I found a picture of Shelton returning a punt against aggy. By golly, Collinsworth was right!

[​IMG]

15. GRhino

GRhino 250+ Posts

Melton has turned into an absolute beast at DT!!! One play that really stood out to me was down by the goal line (early in the game) where Houston ran Foster on a sweep to the left. Melton comes flying down the line out of nowhere (hurdling a blocker) to stuff the play for no gain. Impressive!!!

Even if we didn't get to benefit much from his talent on the defensive side of the ball while he was at Texas, he's damn sure making UT football look good now.