Herman, Del Conte and Smart need to lead by example!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Htown77, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

They are all millionaires who say they believe in BLM and the oppressed. They need to start giving up at least 25% of their annual salaries to BLM or to the less privileged. They need to prove what they say and practice what they preach. They need to show that they care and lead by example. They are most privileged among us and should be in the easiest position to sacrifice for all. I call on Texas fans to demand that Herman, Del Conte, Smart and anyone else at UT making over $1 million a year pledge and follow through donating at least 25% of their annual salaries to the less privileged!

Why have they not already done so? Are they all talk and no action?

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Smart is too smart to give an ultimatum - he would be packing.

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sorry, but I disagree. I'm not telling anyone to donate to any cause, particularly a bunch of extortionist race baiters.

Chris has an incredibly difficult job as it is. Now he has to find a way to get rid of Smart without being "racist". (Remember performance & results don't count in making the decision,) Then he has to ind a way to salvage Herman or hire the new HC. Thus far, CdC has not failed (well the one & oldest issue that takes time), so I trust he will come through yet again.

Herman is a lost cause incapable of leading a group of first graders to a candy store. Could he have handled this ordeal any worse?

Unfortunately the line in the sand is not Chris', but the BOR and the acting president.

Good news is that Fenves is gone and the Baylor reject is no longer Chairman of the BOR,

Some one suggested piling all our Burnt Orange gear and making a bonfire. I suggest a more symbolic gesture of writing our donations on paper checks and then creating a bonfire.

What is The University going to do if Chris throws in the towel and accepts USC's offer?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  4. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Would CDCs job be any easier at USC?

5. BLUE DUTCH

BLUE DUTCH 25+ Posts

6. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

@SabreHorn I, like you, would prefer common sense take hold. I am irritated Herman is okay with the players demanding state funds be taken away in favor of political causes. In fact, I believe Herman has helped encourage all of this. If Herman (or Smart or Del Conte or anyone else) are going to allow and encourage this nonsense, then the $ should come out of their pockets, not the state's and regular fans.

I really do not think Herman can salvage anything after this. He is now my least favorite coach in Texas history. He has officially beaten out Mackovic and Shawn Watson.

Additionally, Anthony Cook wanted to not play at UT anymore. I am guessing Cook and the rest of our players have been fed lies that UT is a racist institution and UT fans are all racists. After that happened, do you really think these players are going to play hard or win many games? Their threat rings hollow because even if there is a season with coronavirus, the team is too fractured to win **** anyway. The smartest thing any fan can do is not waste time or money on it. The nukes have gone off. Texas Football is tostitos now.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

You sound like a faithful Democrat, cavalierly spending other people's money. Are you giving 25% of your salary to BLM? BTW, BLM is a political organization. If they really cared about Black Lives, they'd be all over the politicians in Chicago...Baltimore...Detroit...Los Angeles...where blacks are regularly killing blacks by the dozens. The truth is the only Black Life that matters to BLM is one taken by a white police officer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I think the point was that if the coaches had their own money at risk then these issues would be better managed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

I wonder if the players realize their NIL money may be at risk.

10. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

47, not what 77 implied. The decision makers (Del Conte, Herman) are not putting their money in, they are deciding if they are going to put the donor’s money in.
    There is not one donor ( I know a whole bunch of donors)I know that would give a dime to a racist organization like BLM. Now, there are discussions to possibly give the donors money to BLM or any other baloney group with out the donors’ s permission?
    Sabre , I agree with assessment on DelConte. He is in a terrible position, but he is going to have to take action. My advice is to deny all demands on Monday morning and offer transfers to any player that does not appreciate being at UT.
    I have heard from a whole lot of folks that if UT gives in to any demands or donates a single cent to these organizations, they are done with all donations.
    The money sent to the Longhorn Foundation was strictly for athletics and no other use.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

"They need to start giving up at least 25% of their annual salaries to BLM or to the less privileged."
    Ivan, how is that not '77 telling them to put 25% of the money they earn (regardless of where the money to pay their salaries came from) in BLM's coffers?

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I totally disagree, The only black lives that matter to BLM are the ones they can exploit for financial and political gain.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. IvanDiabloHorn

47, reread my post. 77 is pointing out that if there is consideration of giving donor money to BLM, start by giving 25% of Herman and Del Conte’s salaries that come from athletic donors. In other words, the donors I know do not want their gifts used in that manner, therefore if the decision makers and coaches that are in favor of giving to BLM, let the donation come out their salaries. Not the LHF donations.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

I called UT and left a message... Got a call back on my machine..Calling again on Monday. Its time WE let OUR voices be heard. I am all for allowing a few of the requests, but some of them are off the wall. My biggest gripe is they brought forth these things as demanding "or else" tones. When they said they will not help recruit, etc, etc until the demands are met my mindset is HELL NO !!!!!!
    Herman screwed the pooch the way he addressed this Floyd killing with the players. Since other schools aren't seeing this crap their coaches approached it as it was...A piece of crap guy who happened to be a cop murdered a man, and will pay the price....Herman played it as a victim of racism and players should stand up against injustice and racism, etc...Then went on to paint the UT fanbase with a broad brush as being uncaring outside the 90 minutes of football....WTH are the players supposed to think with that approach ? I think Herman should be fired WITH CAUSE for his statements against UT and its fan base if possible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

So much has gone on in the last couple of weeks... what exactly did Herman say?

16. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I posted this in another thread. Herman and Del Conte do not make those types of decisions. Generally, grievances and redress go to the Board of Regents, and nothing should be done without the advice of legal counsel.

Brennan Eagles made an all-or-nothing type ultimatum in a public forum. The university has a protocol for such student grievances to be made and provided a defined number of students sign a petition, the issue may be taken up by the Board of Regents during a previously scheduled meeting. As such, Eagles' demand, broke protocol by ignoring the established process and procedures for grievances, was made publically, and was in the form of "do it now or I won't play." Since his demand provided only a short period of time for action by the BoR to act, which most likely can not or at least should not be instantly granted, then perhaps the best solution for both him and the football program, is, (after discussions with and advice of the University's legal counsel) to rescind his scholarship (he said he would refuse to play if the changes he lined out were not immediately met; therefore, he has indicated his intent to disregard the terms of the scholarship contract), encourage him to enter the transfer portal, wish him the best of luck in the future and send him home. No one person is bigger than the University. He needs to learn that as it applies to coaches, athletes, professors, alumni, and all others. Hopefully, he may be picked up by another program, but then again, maybe not, since he has indicated a propensity to ignore established protocol and demand to have his personal grievances addressed immediately via disruption of the established due process and regardless of any other pressing issues before the Board. I wish him well in the future, but he needs to be shown the exit.

If other players have joined in, then they may be subject to having their scholarships revoked as well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Do you work on their taxes? Do you know what sec. 501(c) and other IR Code organizations they give to? This is not a totalitarian state where the government dictates to whom contributions must be made. Your demand is as ridiculous as Eagles ultimatum to the coaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Politics should not be a part of CFB. Period.

19. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I think my post went over some posters' heads. The Reign of Terror did not end until the guillotine was turned on Robespierre. Hit Herman and Del Conte seriously in their pocketbooks, and watch them put an end to this... the donors may end up doing that anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  20. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

We already pay a third of our income in taxes and also property taxes, etc ad infinitum

now to pay more because a bunch of pampered jocks got excited?

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I’m less privileged than all of them and possibly you. What’s my cut?

• Like Like x 1
  22. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

WOW! You're paying 1/3 in income taxes? I would recommend you see a financial/investment advisor and drop that rate down at the most to a 10% rate if not lower. I don't know where you live but there are some really good ones in Houston, Dallas and Austin as well as out of state.

23. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Actually, he said he's paying 1/3 of his income to taxes...not income taxes per se. If he's a property owner living in Austin, Dallas, or Houston, then he's likely being generous with that statement.

I'm pretty sure 77 (the OP) was just pointing out some of the various statements made due to recent events. If people feel the need to support something, they should (with their own money).

Bringing it back around to football, if a player doesn't want to play, then they don't have to play. They have the right to exit the program at any time for any reason. There are plenty of financial options for students these days. Find one that works and go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  24. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

I have defended Herman for several years saying he needed time to build his program. No longer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

College football today is about one thing and only one thing - $$$$. Only a matter of time before politics inserts itself to take some/part/all of that $$$$.

26. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I missed it as well.

Anyone?

27. IvanDiabloHorn

Htown77 covers the direct statements by Herman in page 8 of the other thread “Brennan Eagles campus changes”.

He basically said the white fans are bunch of racists because we wont let his players ( I assume his black players) screw our daughters and give his players big jobs.

• Like Like x 3
  28. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Thanks, I'll check it out. Probably did already but his posts are a bit long and allsome all at the same time.

• Like Like x 2
  29. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

You're sarcasm meter needs adjusting.

30. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

You got me, 'dog :whiteflag:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020