Herman Stays

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TexasFight86, Dec 12, 2020.

1. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Per 247 sports and CDC
    I have no words. 2021 will be a fail for Texas football

BREAKING: #Texas coach Tom Herman will return as head coach in 2021. 247sports.com/college/texas/…

AUSTIN, Texas — Despite a flirtation with three-time national championship coach Urban Meyer by Texas administrators, Tom Herman will remain as coach of the Longhorns in 2021, UT athleticdirector Chris Del Conte announced Saturday.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  2. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

The 2021 recruiting class is a turd, 2022 will be worst. It's almost impossible to come back from 2 classes like this anytime in the near future. We are no longer a football school....

3. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

There is some question per Twitter if 247 reported this correctly. Did Chip jump the gun or is it written in stone by CDC?

Original tweet

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

??? I thought it was an announcement, not a reporters opinion.

5. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

All the folks in Norman and College Station just giggled and peed their pants just a little.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

Wasn't one of Trump's tweets, was it? CDC released a statement saying so...

Texas AD: Tom Herman will remain with Longhorns

7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Merry Christmas y'all :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Bohls:
    Chris Del Conte offers the most ambiguous, lukewarm endorsement in history when he says Tom Herman will be back in 2021.

9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

10. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

There was no quick fix out there. I wish this wasn't one of our best options, but the reality of the situation is that this outcome was predictable once Meyer rebuffed us.

• poop poop x 1
  11. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I've had this feeling for awhile and have said so in multiple threads. :brickwall:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Once Urban was no longer an option it was pretty much a given that Texas wasn't going to put up 25M in buyouts for an unproven commodity. Not what I wanted but the decision is made and I get CDC's desire to be running to something and that he wasn't going to fire TH in a vacuum without a proven replacement.

So best I can do, we all can do, is get behind the team and support it in the bowl game and be ready next year to support it as much as we can as a fan base.

• poop poop x 1
  13. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Agree, still have some gut rumblings but I know I’ll be supporting them come whatever.

14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Herman couldn’t get it done with the best talent in the conference this year and Sam. Next year could be very ugly.

If you can’t coach ‘em and you can’t recruit ‘em you probably won’t win with them.

I’m nauseated.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

Rick, you nailed it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I looked over the list of potential replacements... and I didn't see anybody that gets me as excited as I was when we hired Charlie Strong, much less Tom Herman. I like the coordinators Tom has in place and he's good at talent evaluation and does fine with talent development. Look for some of the kids he recruited/developed to go high in the NLF draft in 2021... something that has happened much around here lately. Is the program on the trajectory I hoped for? Not really. But if we're letting go of Tom Herman to steal the coach from Cincinnati or SMU... it looks like we'd be paying Maserati money for a rebuilt Camaro.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Just saw the flash on the bottom line during the Iowa - Wisky game. Welp! Hope TH and crew can develop our new 17th ranked recruiting class. The question now is, will the BMDs pull their support? This will be interesting, sad, but still interesting how the fans will react.

It might be that UM said "Thanks but No Thanks." And no other big time coach is available or even willing.

18. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

After a thorough review of the KSU game, I'm optimistic. We've got two badass running backs and a ton of young guys who are hungry. And focusing their energy on the field.

Clearly we need to continue with the running game + short passes on offense. And keep improving on defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

My guess is yes, and that most probably already have. They certainly won’t be generous.

Perhaps CDC explained his dilemma — his financial dilemma — to them. He was between a rock and a hard place but like SabreHorn has said repeatedly, if there is a cancer, it must be cut out for the organism to recover. CDC didn’t do that, and for that reason my level of respect for him, and my confidence in him, has pretty much disappeared.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yep! And neither will I. Contributing to the football program right now is like feeding hay to a dead horse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

CDC has made his decision for the 2021 season and the rest of us can choose for ourselves to move forward with CDC, TH and the Longhorns or just move on.

Go Horns!

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Wish I could say that gives me some satisfaction, but in no way does it do so. Far from it.