Herman

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by IvanDiabloHorn, Sep 20, 2017.

1. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

We have the right coach. I opined that our team would improve as the season progressed and that these coaches would "coach up" the talent they inherited. The only fly in the ointment is that we are thin and multiple injuries will hurt the team.
    These coaches have had these players Spring practice, fall camp and three games. This team has progressed in every game this year and will continue to improve. At this point, this team can take the field and compete with every team left on the schedule. Lighten up, this team is going to be hard to handle as the season progresses.

I also notice the same facial contortions from Herman after a loss as I did from Royal after a loss. A coach that hates to lose as much as Royal or Herman is going to win a lot of games. Enjoy the ride.

• Like Like x 6
  2. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I can't compare royal to Herman because that was before my time
    when so I can be there to see it myself because all I see now is a guy trying to play Jedi mind tricks to explain his in game screw ups

3. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Well, he is not Charlie Strong, so he has that going for him. Checks that box for the Never Charlie crowd.

I wonder if Charlie contorted his face as he blew games if he would have gotten more rope.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

For me Charlie got two extra years of rope. Someone said TH is young and inexperienced and a big reason we have lost two games. I agree ..but he needs to understand his mistakes and why he made them. Those same situations will come up again. I wish he would just say I made some bad decisions that cost us games. He's been under the gun to make decisions that will make something happen but really he just needs to trust his team. I am willing to think he has learned and will move on for the better.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Too early to tell either way. Wait and see.

• Like Like x 6
  6. IvanDiabloHorn

No, when Texas was losing badly, Charlie had the blank quizzical look like he was trying to remember what his wife told him to pick up on the way home....was it bread? butter? milk?

• Like Like x 5
  7. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Lmao this is true i don't know who was worse him or Eli manning after his 2nd interception

• Like Like x 2
  8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

I am optimistic about Herman as well. I said this on another thread but, despite the offensive issues our defensive performance at USC was a stunning turnaround from anything we have seen here in years. That is enough to suggest to me that this coaching staff could be solid.

• Like Like x 4
  9. UTLAWMBA1991

UTLAWMBA1991 25+ Posts

I was as distressed as any fan after the Maryland game, but the defense looked great against USC, fighting hard for themselves, their teammates, their coaches, and their school. That was exciting enough to give me some optimism. Too many Texas fans expect instant gratification, but I don't think think that it is pragmatic to expect our team to be instantly rebuilt. If we keep moving in the right direction on average this season, the fans should just relax a little and enjoy the ride back up. TH deserves the time to add his 2018 recruiting class into the mix, and his 2019 class also, as long as he is moving forward. If we fire every coach we hire after the first losing game, we are never going to get anywhere.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

This team is light years ahead of where they were at the end of last season. Herman will make it happen. Give the man a chance.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  11. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

51-41?
    Not kicking field goal? Going for it on 4th down?
    Our record is 1-2. Light years ahead?
    Could you be jumping ahead of yourself just a bit? If we go 8-4 or 9-3 then light years ahead. 7-5, 6-6 or worse not light years ahead.
    Nostradamus you and I are not.

• Like Like x 6
  12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Completely agree. I believe that Herman will succeed big-time at Texas. But it would sure be refreshing to see some humility, particularly after some of the bonehead decisions he has already made.

• Like Like x 4
  13. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

I think Herman is the right guy and I feel optimistic about the program for the first time in 5 years. That said, there’s a little part of me that wonders what would happen if we shook up the organizational chart just a little: Mack Brown as head coach; Herman as OC; and Orlando as DC. I have a feeling that combination would kick some ***...

• Like Like x 2
  14. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

My dead grandmother can coach better than Charlie Strong so saying TH is a better coach than Charlie is like saying Ricky Williams is a better RB than me.

I'm not off the TH boat yet, but I think the jury is still out. The sample size is too small and he's made some bizarre in game decisions.

15. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Run Pincher, why did you bring Strong on this board?? Its weird.

But you know Strong is 3-0 at usf. Ranked in top 25 in both polls. Who have they played? Right. But you can only play who's on your schedule.

Strong just was not ready to coach here. He has done well in other settings. And it appears he will do well at usf. I wish him the best. That does not mean I want him back. I absolutely do not.

By the way, I would not have gone there, but since you did, I think Charlie is a better coach than any of our grandmothers.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

We're analyzing coaches by their facial expressions now? Damn I hate bye weeks.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

And the black polo shirts

• Like Like x 3
  18. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I didn't, DS and IDH did, just following up on their posts. Make sure you read the whole thread.

19. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

See if you can guess what year and coaching staff I am taking about:

Early season results:
    -Embarrassing home loss to a team we had no business losing too. Totally unprepared, sloppy, and exacerbated by bonehead in-game decision making.
    Mixed in with:
    - Cupcake win
    - Another game where one phase of the team executed to near perfection and almost beat a team they had no business punching with, except* that we had a losing game plan and bonehead decisions in the other phase of the game...

However, one coaching staff gets the benefit of the doubt and the other didn't.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I walked out of DKR after Notre Dame last year fully confident that we were "on track". I will wait and make a determination on TH after the season. Cautiously optimistic at this point but I have always been guilty of seeing a glass half full.

21. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Nope! I see a team that has made progress in fundamentals. Not there yet, but one must admit that the secondary and front seven played measurably better football and the intensity mirrored that of the head coach. There are still some mistakes on the defense and if you watch his press conference he mentions that "we practice those areas and need to get better at execution". Sometimes it takes a while to change bad habits, but I have not seen that type of play on defense by a Texas team since '09. The defense will have to set the tone for the team and it looks like they might be on their way. One week ago most analysts and fans were expecting a blowout by SC. This defense carried the day and made Texas respectable.

At the beginning of the press conference he said that the offense in the first half was unacceptable and they must fix that part of the game. (In fairness, he did start a freshman quarterback on a big stage with only one game experience.) Tom admits the problem and that is the first thing that he needs to do, so why not give him a chance to address the issue? The second half was better, and as I mentioned in another post, Texas was a couple of better long ball throws and pass interference plays from winning this game. I happen to think that he will improve that part of the team, but let's be careful about too high of expectations. His All American tackle went out and he is down to five of his offensive linemen rotation, and now will bring some freshmen off the bench.

A lot of people have their hair on fire for his going for it on fourth, not kicking field goals and running the quarterback, yet acknowledge the fact that the field goal kicker is nowhere close to a Doug Dawson. There was a pretty good coach at SC who went for it on fourth down and lost the MNC game to Texas. He now is one of the better coaches in NFL, and like others, still makes some questionable decisions (but only questionable when they don't work). These decisions sometimes are a crap-shoot and a coach can go from the penthouse to the s--- house pretty quick when they don't work out. Wonder what would have happened to Royal had the 2 point conversion against Arkansas backfired on him. That one landed him in the Penthouse.

Perhaps Tom should read Hornfans for advice and tutorials. He could learn a lot. I have watched your posts and you are typically one of the most positive fans. So keep the faith! And by the way, it is interesting that you mention Nostradamus. He is the person I am most often compared to due to my keen perception and impeccable vision into the future.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Front 7 yes; DB no - No change as USC completed every pass they had to complete. Concern is how many "run first" offenses like USC will Texas see for the remainder of the year?

• Like Like x 3
  23. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

We did have that pick 6....but yes at critical times they did not play well. End of both halves.

24. IvanDiabloHorn

I guess the season so far is in the eye of the beholder.
    I saw the first game as frustrating, but we ran into a better team than most had predicted and we played hard the entire game almost pulling it out. First game for this coaching staff after only having Spring and fall practice and it showed.

I saw the second game as a huge improvement on both sides of the ball. I also saw something I have been waiting to see for a few years. We took a team we should beat 56 -0
    and beat that team 56-0.

The third game we went on he road against the #4 ranked team in the country with better talent than Texas and played them to overtime with a true freshman QB. The team played hard the entire game and never gave up. I don't believe in moral victories, but I do recognize the improvement in our team.

This team will continue to improve week by week.

• Like Like x 4
  25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

We will see a week from tonight. The last time Texas ventured into Iowa the final score was 24-0 ISU, and it wasn't even that close.

• Like Like x 3
  26. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

True. When we shutout Kansas a few years back, 23-0, I think, it felt like we were lucky to shut them out and that we should beat them by 5 touchdowns.

I hope we are back to annihilating teams we should and hanging with if not beating the others.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

ViperHorn, respectfully, that is simply not true. On many plays the coverage was much tighter, the angles were better and the tackling was much improved. Yes they did have too many mistakes and yes they will get scored on because they are not going to be great. But take a look at some of the plays by Brandon Jones, Holton Hill and Elliott. Those guys are doing some pretty good things. My point was that I see progress, not that this defensive secondary is anywhere near where it needs to be. They will get torched in the Big XII, but with some more additions like Brandon Jones and continued good coaching things will continue to get better. This is not DBU. That was lost years ago, but I do think that Tom will get it back in time. Need to give some credit for even the slightest improvement.

• Like Like x 4
  28. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Charlie would have been given more rope if he could have beaten the mighty Jayhawks. So quit your crying.

• Like Like x 1
  29. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Pretty sure my granny would beat Kansas every time.

• Like Like x 1
  30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chinstrap please reread what I said - "USC completed every pass they had to complete". Check the Box Score - all USC TD's via the pass and two of those were over the middle where Texas has had issues for 3+ years.