Herman's Staff

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Can't wait to see the rest of the staff for next year. Anyone know about when we could expect to hear who he hires to join him in Austin? I don't remember how quickly Mack filled out his staff. I am fired up!

2. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Don't know who, but he's bringing the best recruiters out there. Your guess is as good as mine at this point.

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, it may take several weeks because they may be committed to coach bowl games. Others, like Orlando, will wait to see what UH does with his desire to be HC. Then there is Herman's old college roommate over at LSU. Lots of "ifs" that may take time to sort out. Yes, I'd like them recruiting, but I'd rather wait for really good coaches than another patch work staff.

4. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

To me, this is the single most important part of this head coach transition. I am hearing Brewster may return. Will Traylor stay? Will Major be able to come over? If no, will Gilbert stay? Who is the next defensive coordinator?

Thankfully this coaching transition didn't produce any more drama than Charlie getting fired 6 times by the Internet in one week. The coaching hires are more exciting to me than recruiting. :popcorn:

5. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

I'm hoping that the rumors of him going after Aranda (they were roomies in college at Cal Lutheran) from LSU as D Coordinator are true.......LSU's defense was certainly not their problem this year. They held Bama scoreless for 3 quarters and his teams at Whiskey were always top 10 nationally. He is a 3-4 proponent and that may be better in the long run in the pass happy Big12. He is also a Broyles Award finalist as top Asst. coach.

• Like Like x 5
  6. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i love you. i did no know that. (though i'm good with orlando too. just think he stays at houston)

7. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

+1. TH knows the importance of a great staff and I expect he will get this right.

8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Derek Warehime’s UH bio page

• Derek Warehime was named offensive line coach at Houston on Feb. 9, 2015.

• In his first season at Houston, Warehime oversaw a line that despite being forced to use 11 different lineups in 14 games due to injuries, led a team that finished the regular season ranked 13th nationally in rushing offense with 235.8 yards per game. Under Warehime’s leadership, Alex Cooper, who started at three different positions along the line, and Will Noble, a true freshman with his redshirt ripped off in the sixth game of the season, received season honors from The American. The two were part of a group that lost three starters to season-ending injuries and endured a total of 34 games lost due to injuries.

• Warehime joined the Houston staff after three seasons with New Mexico as the Lobos’ tight ends coach, adding the title of run game coordinator in his final season. In all three seasons with Warehime on staff, the New Mexico offense finished fifth or better in rushing nationally each year.

• With Warehime serving as the run game coordinator in 2014, New Mexico finished the year ranked fourth nationally in rushing with an average of 310.4 yards per game on the ground. Along with its power on the ground, New Mexico also ranked fourth nationally with just 11 sacks given up on the year.

• Warehime was integral to the offensive line blocking schemes, as the unit paved the way for a 308 yard average per game rushing in 2013 to rank fourth in the nation and lead the Mountain West. It was the second straight season the Lobos ranked in the top five in the country in rushing. Warehime’s tight ends also became a bigger part in the passing game in 2013. After the unit recorded nine receptions for 116 yards in 2012, it had 13 catches for 279 yards in ‘13.

• The Choctaw, Okla., native helped UNM become the most improved rushing team in the country from 2011 to 2012. After finishing 103rd in the nation in rushing in 2011, the Lobos finished No. 5 in 2012 with an average of 301.3 yards per game. Warehime’s tight end Lucas Reed earned an invitation to the East-West Shrine Game for collegiate all-stars in January, 2013.

• With Warehime in charge of the Sam Houston State offensive line, SHSU had the No. 6 rushing offense in the Football Championship Subdivision in 2011, averaging 255.9 yards per game, en route to the FCS National Championship. The Bearkats had averaged nearly 40 points per game. Tim Flanders ranked 17th in the Football Championship Subdivision with 1,644 yards, and teammate Richard Sincere added 979. Quarterback Brian Bell threw for 2,069 yards. Center Travis Watson and offensive tackle Chris Crockett earned 2011 Sports Network/Fathead.com All-America honors under Warehime’s tutelage.

• In Warehime’s first season, the Kats led the Southland Conference in rushing offense and had three players earn All-League honors. Running back Tim Flanders was named as the Southland’s Newcomer of the Year.

• Warehime worked two seasons as offensive line and tight ends coach and strength and conditioning coordinator at the University of Arkansas at Monticello. He was the Boll Weevils’ offensive coordinator in 2009. UAM led the Gulf South Conference in total offense (499.3 yards per game) and rushing offense (244.4). UAM quarterback Scott Buisson was 2008 GSC Player of the Year, and Joe Wilson and Jon Meadows earned All-GSC honors as offensive linemen.

• Warehime spent two seasons as a graduate assistant at Rice from 2006-07. He worked with the offensive line and served as the team’s assistant video coordinator. The Owls made their first postseason appearance in 45 years at the New Orleans bowl, were runners-up in the Conference USA West Division and set 40 offensive school records.

• Warehime spent the 2005 season at his alma mater where he was a student assistant with the offensive line. The Golden Hurricane won the 2005 Conference USA football championship and defeated Fresno State in the Liberty Bowl.

• Warehime started 34 games as center for Tulsa (2001-04). He played on Tulsa’s 7-4 Humanitarian Bowl squad in 2003 and was named as a First-Team All-Western Athletic Conference selection his senior year in 2004.

• Warehime is a 2006 graduate of Tulsa with a bachelor’s degree in history and education. Warehime played high school football at Choctaw High School in Midwest City, Okla.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Derek Warehime

• Like Like x 2
  10. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Wow.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

This could potentially seal the fate of Gilbert, given that he and Mattox are/were a package deal.

12. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I hope so.

I'm excited about Herman coming in, but if he keeps Gilbert, I am going to be seriously questioning him. Maybe he would identify some shortcomings Gilbert has and feel he can correct them, but I would rather he just bring someone in.

• Like Like x 1
  13. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I would love to see Major come back. He's been an OC at 4 schools now and has the experience. He gets Texas football and can recruit. He made a mistake,, but that shouldn't define him for the rest of his life. Unless there are current issues with his character, I'd bring him back to his home. He should have started that game in 2011, and we'd have played for another NC. I always loved his grit. They way he charged down the Colorado sideline letting them know we weren't giving up was awesome. We need guys with confidence like that.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Yep. Major has earned a few mulligans in my book also. :hookem:

• Like Like x 4
  15. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

*2001 ... Roger. I agree with you.

I've always liked Opie, but he DID mess-up ... BAD ... & back here at home no less!

I'm not sure I'd be as enthusiastic about his potential return as I was for his last one ... after watching his last performance ... then there IS the baggage. Example? Forgiveness? Sure ... but that doesn't mean put him in the same position. He'll always be a Texas great on the gridiron. As much as I love David McWilliams, his coaching career just didn't reflect his player career. I think Applewhite has resembled that ... otherwise, he'd still be with Saban and two more natty rings in his showcase.

• Like Like x 1
  16. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

It's probably worth mentioning that 2012 was Bob Davie's first season and they made the switch over to a ground pounding option offense.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Those stats really needed some context. Did they switch from a pass happy offense to a run happy attack?

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Aranda staying at LSU it appears

Ed Orgeron said he spoke with LSU DC Dave Aranda this morning and said Aranda was happy here and was planning on sticking. There are reports out that new Texas HC Tom Herman is interested in Aranda as a defensive coordinator in Austin. I was just told by someone I trust that LSU is giving Aranda a nice pay bump with a new contract, and he's in for it. He has told Orgeron he wants to be here and plans on staying.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

from Sam Khan Jr --

Fernando Lovo, who was Houston's director of football operations, is joining Herman at Texas

Strength coach Yancy McKnight and the rest of Houston football strength staff will follow Herman also, according to sources.

Lovo and McKnight were both on Herman's staff at Houston the last two years; Lovo was previously at Ohio State with Herman, McKnight was previously at Iowa State where Herman was an assistant in 2009-11 and also worked with Herman at Rice.

20. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

With regard to Applewhite, I have always been a believer in the "Reverse Peter Principal," my creation. The Reverse Peter Principle states that an individual (or in this case Applewhite) never rises to his level of maximum effectiveness and proficiency because he did not excel at a previous, lower level job. In other words, just because Applewhite may not have been the greatest OC (which is an opinion that can be disputed), that doesn't mean that he wouldn't be an excellent HC. I think he just might be.

But back to the subject at hand, I would have no problem with Applewhite returning to Texas.

• Like Like x 3
  21. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

As has been demonstrated ... my preferences are evidently disregarded, so if Opie returns ... then I'll give him the proverbial handshake, a stern look in the eye, and say "behave" ... go win football games ... all of 'em.

IDK why you mentioned HC ... but whatever.

22. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Agree with this. Also will add that I don't fully write off previously accomplished assistants for sliding performance under the guidance of a head coach who's team is poorly motivated and undisciplined (on the field).

Gilbert showed shortcomings, but he was also working with players who only gave as much of themselves as Strong could conjure out of them.

After seeing them quit in many games and not show up on the road often, there's no doubt in my mind SG was dealt a weak hand.

He's not an elite OC, but not nearly as bad as it seemed the last few games with a halfway checked out team.

Offense was averaging 35.3 ppg through the first 10 games. Then they put up 21 and 9 on Kansas and TCU to finish.

Looks to me like the offense (minus Foreman) quit after a stout WVU defense held them to 20 and slapped them back to 5-5.

Bedford will always be a lacking DC at this level, but don't be shocked to see SG catch on at another big program and turn in solid offensive teams.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

so ... Vance is a bum but Gilbert is a good, but held back by another great DC/bad HC.

????

24. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Bedford's defensive rankings were suspect at this level before he got here...

OSU 2005 - 97th
    OSU 2006 - 82nd
    UT 2014 - 31st
    UT 2015 - 87th
    UT 2016 - 91st

Sure he did well at Louisville as DC and pretty good here in 2014.

But yeah when 4 of 5 seasons on this level his unit couldn't crack the top 80, he's what is known as a proven weak link.

Let's not forget Bedford is not even our DC because he got demoted weeks ago.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  25. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Not saying SG is elite by any means, but his offenses have never been outside the top 60 anywhere he was OC.

In his only year at this level his offense ranked 32+ spots above 4 of 5 Bedford defenses.

UT 2016 - 50th
    Tulsa 2015 - 21st
    B. Grn 2014 - 59th
    E. Ill 2013 - 1st
    E. Ill 2012 - 7th

Just saying I'd cut Sterlin slack while coaching under Strong's weak leadership long before I give Bedford any benefit of the doubt.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  26. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

Any chance Herman can get Akina to come back to work with the DBs?

As for Applewhite, I read somewhere he may be ineligible for rehire at Texas and will at least interview for HC at Houston.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Looks like Akina came to Texas in 2001 the year after Herman left. Maybe Mack could make a call and summons him back from Stanford. Like this idea. :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  28. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

29. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

30. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

not overly impressed so far but a big splash at OC and DC should take care of it