Herman's Staff

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

"Herman was in Phoenix over the weekend, and Herman and Beck got together after Ohio State's 31-0 loss to Clemson Saturday in the semifinals of the College Football Playoff"
    31-Zip doesn't say much about the offense or game preparation.

3. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

"Beck was a rising star in four seasons running the offense at Nebraska under Bo Pelini, when the Cornhuskers' offense went from 29.2 ppg in 2011 to 37.8 ppg in 2014. During that span, Beck was a two-time nominee for the Frank Broyles Award as college football's top assistant coach (2012 and 2013)."

"Under Warinner and Beck, Ohio State's offense averaged 35.7 ppg in 2015 and 39.4 ppg in 2016. Under Applewhite's leadership, Herman's offense at Houston averaged 40.4 ppg in 2015 and 35.8 ppg in 2016. Herman's offenses at Ohio State averaged 37.2 ppg in 2012, 45.5 ppg in 2013 and 44.8 ppg in 2014."

I am beyond excited with the hire, seems like the most capable hands our offense has been in for quite some time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It appears that Ohio State may be the second coming of OU in the earlier years of this century when Gundy was fighting with every other co-OC, and when Stoops hired that terminal cancer known as Chuck Long. If that is true, then

1) Whom is in charge in Columbus?

2) Whom is the problem in Columbus?

3) Which of the two drives the success train, and which is the anchor?

Not sure that we will ever get the answers, but until we do, I have to cautiously trust Herman's judgement since he was in the middle of that cesspool.

5. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Ohio State is a year away. It will not be fun to be on Ohio State's schedule next year.

6. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

"The bottom line, the sources said, is before the muddled situation at Ohio State" ... I think this speaks a little to concerns.

7. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Guess we'll see a sample of things to come in April at the SG. Like all the other first year coaches I been around for, they get one mulligan year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  9. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 2
  11. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

The Drayton hire definitely has me more excited than Beck.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...yton-texas-longhorns-chicago-bears-tom-herman

"Three years later, he spent a season at Mississippi State before joining Meyer’s staff at Florida, where he established his reputation as an excellent recruiter. Among Drayton’s significant accomplishments in Gainesville were landing Cam Newton, Chris Rainey, Riley Cooper, and the Pouncey twins.

When Meyer took over from Jim Tressell, he kept Drayton on staff, a decision that allowed the former running back to return to his favored spot coaching the position he played in college.

In addition to helping Carlos Hyde and Ezekiel Elliott star in Meyer’s power spread offenses, Drayton also continued recruiting at high level. Credit him for securing the signatures of players like Elliott, Curtis Samuel, Mike Weber, and Marshon Lattimore.

Given Drayton’s experiences as a player and coach, he’s not only extremely qualified to coach the position and have a potentially positive impact, he would arguably become the most successful recruiter on the staff."

• Like Like x 3
  12. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

errbody?

• Like Like x 3
  13. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Herman reeling in the coaches :hookem:

14. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

look at the bears' record the last 2 years. you couldn't pay me to take Drayton...

:rolleyes1:

15. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Here's a good article on Dray :hookem:

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  19. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

20. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Drayton seems like a great hire. If he can tweak Warren's game we could have another monster in the backfield come September.

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

22. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Spring game won't show us squat. Same old vanilla stuff. We will see how Herman's hires pan out through game three. At that point we will know if we have done well, or **** and fell back in it with these hires. I am so anxious to see 2017 football !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  23. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Why do they do that...So what if a coach coached a stud ??? Its not like he is really responsible for a player being great...especially the skill guys. He either has it or he doesn't. The old saying ,,," You can't make chicken salad out of chicken **** and ,"you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear." The same is true in reverse....A stud is a stud is a stud, and only an idiot can mess them up. Dez, Elliott, Moss, Peterson, etc were going to be great no matter who they were coached by. An average kid is merely going to be average no matter who is coaching them. Media shouldn't give credit for something out of their control. Now OL .... maybe .... QBs .....to a degree....

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  24. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, it's sad that Ezekiel Elliott is so deluded that he think he has some ideas about what made him a great back. Kudos for car54 applying his superior knowledge of Elliott's development to set the record straight. What the hell could the NFL rushing leader know about running back development that in any way compares to the brainpower car54 brings to the table?

• Like Like x 9
  25. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

A summary of how he recruits. I like the answers he gave.

• Like Like x 2
  26. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Saban' s record at Miami speaks for itself. Alabama was foolish.

• Like Like x 1
  27. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Its football.....You look at all the programs and coaches...They do the same darn drills and teach basically the same things ( a few tweaks in some systems ). You try to teach them to use cutback lanes, run to daylight, hit the hole hard, follow your blocks, blocking techniques, take a handoff, carry the ball high and tight and in the proper arm, etc....They either have good running instincts and speed/power or they don't.

28. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

If I was a young (not), fast (not), agile (not), talented (not) running back coming out of HS with sights set for a chance to grow and possibly get to the NFL, I would like to be coached by Drayton. He has experience and success with running backs at a number of high profile venues and is hooking up with an up and coming head coach at a school with unlimited resources with tons of upside and an outstanding tradition of running backs succeeding in college and the NFL.

Welcome, Stan Drayton!

29. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Car- I couldn't' disagree with you more on this thought. There are many studs that never became a stud not because of their physical prowess but because of their lack of direction, development and coaching. I think all the guys you listed including Moss would point back to coaches who grew and developed them along the way. IMO the And-1 Streetball craze of a few years ago was created by many "studs" who didn't have or didn't follow the direction of coaches and never saw their great potential developed and never made it to the NBA despite their incredible talent on the court.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Here are Zeke's words: "
    "Stan Drayton, that's my guy," Elliott said. "He's really the biggest reason why I think I'm here today, why I'm the back I am today. He made sure when I learned this position I learned it thoroughly. I learned not just what I do, but the guys around me do and that made me understand the game so much better. He taught me how to anticipate instead of just playing just off of instincts and that's made me play faster and made me into a great player."

"If I went to Chicago and played for Stan Drayton, I know he would be a guy that would stay on my case, I know he would never let me get content. He would always push me and that's what he was for me at Ohio State."

Again, Zeke is but an NFL rookie, albeit one who won the rushing title and by all accounts seemed to excel in blocking and receiving roles.