HF.com history

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by BA93, Jan 19, 2008.

1. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

I'm on here all the time but don't know much about it this place started. What are the who, when, and whys on how HF.com came about?

2. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

3. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

That is such a blast from the past. There are users mentioned by dfl that I hadn't thought of in years.

4. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

Yep. There are a lot of names from the past that I miss seeing around here. Some more mentioned later in that thread as well.

The 360 BBS horndfl alludes to is the Austin360 messageboard that was associated with the Statesman. StuckInOhio provides a good description of that board:

5. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Damn. That does take one back, huh? I started lurking on the 360 boards, then here and LHB's site (Longhorn Fan Zone or something like that?) around 2000. I can't believe I've been dorking out online about Longhorn sports for so long.

6. Cap33

Cap33 100+ Posts

That 360 board was some fun. And for me, three user names ago. [​IMG]

7. DCLonghorn8

DCLonghorn8 250+ Posts

Has enough time passed that it's kosher to ask what happened to LHB and his site? It was fun to read his stuff.

8. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

fun read indeed

9. jooboy01

jooboy01 < 25 Posts

I would like to take this a step further. I've been reading many of your thoughts both from a personal standpoint and as a communal bond of UT for rouglhly five years now (and it scares the bejezus out of me to think I read more of what you say than my wife says).
    My question to you is this: Where do you see the future HF.com?
    Do you plan to be around the day Mack retires? The day Mac shoots the boy(s) jumping out of his daughters window? The day Hayden Horn's kid graduates from UT? The day Goo get's married?

I wonder how long hf will be around? I guess only technology will change us. I hope evolution is for the better.

This is my way of saying 'thank you' to all of you. (I'm not good with words.)

...or the Irish Whiskey

10. Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy 250+ Posts

I sure do miss PhxHorn. One of my all-time favorites.

11. Vibro_King

Vibro_King 100+ Posts

I loved BC_RICH

was funny. Mwah!

12. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

13. FirstTimeLurker

FirstTimeLurker 100+ Posts

Heretic, Attilla the Horn, Brocko

14. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

I can't even remember my username on 360.

15. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

16. I_Live_In_OK

I_Live_In_OK 500+ Posts

/ Was it 'mac-hole'?

17. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

Ha. Maybe I should change it.

18. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Man, talk about a blast from the past. Seems like so long ago now.

19. Tim & Omar's Apt

Tim & Omar's Apt 100+ Posts

I started lurking here in '02 (soph year in college) and have been addicted since day 1. I would be in the computer lab and people would give me strange looks as I laughed out loud at what I was reading. I wish I had known about HF and the 360 board earlier.

Whatever happened to 12thStudStan? He was another of the great posters from the olden days.

For any newcomer to HornFans you should visit the Classics board if you want to know a lot of what HF is all about. There you can find many of the inside jokes commonly referred to on here.

To all of you posters that have been around forever (Mac, dfl, SynTex, etc.), thanks for providing me with insight and comedy that you can't find just anywhere.

For those that aren't already aware, some of the posters dfl referenced in that post from 6 years ago regularly post on the Barking Carnival, and their stuff is generally very good

That is all. [​IMG]

20. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Hornfans has truly been my family for years now. I treasure the friendships I've made here. I just wish I could still get on HF while at work.

But I want to keep my job.

21. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

I officially issuing another APB on Excitable Boy. I know he moved from DC to the northwest, but since he moved, I don't think he has posted.

22. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al 500+ Posts

I started lurking in 1999 sometime. It was my sophomore year in high school. I remember telling friends at school about the scoops I "read online." They would always laugh and give me a hard time about it. I was just ahead of my time I guess. [​IMG]

23. I_Live_In_OK

I_Live_In_OK 500+ Posts

Way ahead of you, longhornal - I started lurking here (and the OU boards) in sixth grade. [​IMG]

Of course, that was just around 2001 or so and I didn't join with this username until I was a sophomore in 05

24. UTIceberg

UTIceberg 250+ Posts

My perspective is one that I'm sure many who are reading this can appreciate. I started reading HF's back in early/mid '99. I came here largely for one reason, to talk football and to a lesser extent, other sports. For the most part, I wasn't even really aware of the other boards on this site. Then, as the football board got more and more crowded, I moved over to the other boards (Quacks, Cactus, West Mall, etc) and it was like a whole new world opened to me. All of the funny little quirks that had originally endeared me to HF were found there. The discussions, the jokes, the interactions, etc were all present on these different non-sports boards. After I moved away from Austin, these other forums sort of became my link back to UT and Austin. It allowed me to stay connected and yet enjoy that part of the community that I felt I had lost when the football boards got too overwhelmed with different posts, thread, ridiculousness, etc.

Now, I spend most of my time reading and writing on the other non-sports boards. I find this more rewarding and quite frankly, interesting than the sports boards in general. I still read and occasionally post on the sports boards, but here I know someone might actually read and respond to my post as opposed to it simply becoming more background noise lost in a sea of chatter.

Anyway, I continue to look forward to being part of this vibrant community. It keeps me connected to an important part of my life (being a Longhorn) and lets me read and interact with others on innumerable topics and discussions, share moments of happiness and sadness, laugh at stupid jokes, etc al. HF is unique in that I'm not quite sure how that would be replaced if it wasn't there. For that, among other countless hours of entertainment, I am both thankful and grateful.

25. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

He committed to oklahoma freakshow. Not that he lives in oklahoma, and I am the idoit.

That is all.

26. ojdidit

ojdidit 25+ Posts

Anyone remember "j.j.'s cousin"? That kid is probably either just out of college or just in prison by now.

I started lurking the week before the Big 12 Title game in 99 and found HF from a link on Billy Bob's page. The split from LHB was [​IMG]

27. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

I remember posting on the old 360 board (hookem) back in 1996 when Texas beat Nebraska for the first ever Big 12 title. I talked so much ****. And I remember following recruiting back then.

I have no idea what my poster name was.

28. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

anybody remember SwoleAg?

That guy was whack, he had another screen name and he would make whole threads of him talking to himself with his two name, he was a HS coach somewhere in the boonies, and about half-nuts.

29. Longhorn_94

Longhorn_94 100+ Posts

i started during 2005 when i moved back to austin. i have been on message boards for years but never thought about going to a longhorn board. i was mostly on car boards. been hooked since the first day here.

what is amazing to me is how much i have in common with so many other posters on here and how alike we are as a community.

i have enjoyed it and look forward to being here a long time

jason

30. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

I remember TagTeam being the biggest aggy douche back then.