High Risk Auto Insurance....

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by GHOST HORN, May 14, 2004.

1. GHOST HORN

GHOST HORN 100+ Posts

"a friend of mine" is shopping around for high risk auto insurance. any suggestions? he is finding it to be about $430/month [​IMG]

2. hornhooper

hornhooper 100+ Posts

Like a SR-22??
    How many accidents has your friend been involved with?
    Does he have speeding tickets also?
    The highest rate I have seen was 300 dollars per month.
    That's with a 1000 dollar deductible.

3. CaboWabo

CaboWabo 500+ Posts

I've got some advice for your friend. Tell him to buy a bicycle. It's hoopleheads like him that bring all our insurance rates up.

4. Rusk

Rusk 250+ Posts

invest in a bus pass.

5. GHOST HORN

GHOST HORN 100+ Posts

i think insurance companies black list you at 3 accidents, he had 4 accidents, 2 were his fault, 2 were not, but they still count against you if the other people don't have insurance or if you make a claim. so with 4 accidents his carrier cancelled him.

whenever people ask me this, i am reminded of the saying "don't make somebody else's emergency your emergency" so i told him i would ask around and hornfans.com is an incredible source of info, at least it has proven to be for me.

6. hornhooper

hornhooper 100+ Posts

GMAC is his best choice. I had them for 3 days for 155 dollars per month with a 1000 deductible. I checked around and many others qouted me around 230 and up. I have not had any accidents just around 8 or 9 speeding tickets.

7. Mizzou415

Mizzou415 100+ Posts

$430 just for liability?

8. GHOST HORN

GHOST HORN 100+ Posts

$430 for full coverage

9. Frank the Tank

Frank the Tank 25+ Posts

It counts against you if an uninsured driver hits you? I got sideswiped by a bastard with no insurance and my rates didnt go up.

10. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

When Unisured Motorists hit you it will go on your "history", but will not count against you.
    Personal Injury Protection, Rental, Towing, and Comprehensive claims do not count against you.

11. 12thStudStan

12thStudStan 250+ Posts

You can't be surcharged for a not-at-fault collision, whether covered by a 3rd party, your collision coverage, or your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Those claims, however, do get included in your claims history records and you can be non-renewed for a high frequency of claims (at fault or not-at-fault).

I've seen companies refuse to renew policies with a high frequency of comprehensive (non-collision damage) or towing claims too. In one case, they agreed to renew if the policyholder dropped towing coverage from thier policy after about 7-8 towing claims in a 3 yr period.

12. BigXIIHorns

BigXIIHorns 25+ Posts

My father-in-law just got non-renewed due to a personal injury claim, and two accidents from state farm. The P.I.C. and one of the accidents was my wife who is now on my insurance. Any advice on what to do? He is really hard headed and says he'll just go with out insurance. I think that's a bad bad idea but there is no talking to him. Maybe if he tells them that my wife is no longer on the policy he'll get renewed.

13. hornhooper

hornhooper 100+ Posts

I did not have insurance from ages 18-23. Well I bought insurance whenever I received a speeding ticket. I don't like Insurance companies. I have not been in a accident, ever. So, it's a waste of good money. But I would suggest you taking his car keys from him or change the locks on his car. He could not drive then. But, if the man only drives in Rural areas, (places without signal lights) he really can go without CI.

14. 12thStudStan

12thStudStan 250+ Posts

Big12 - They might rescind the non-renewal given that they no longer have the exposure associated with your wife and she was involved in 2 of the 3 claims. He should call his agent to discuss that issue. A non-renewal could cost him big time in the long run. He should make all efforts to avoid it.