High School Playoffs

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by flash34, Feb 7, 2022.

1. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I believe this is last week of girls high school basketball. Or close. So I’m getting a little ahead of myself but that never stops me. I guess I can’t get off picking DeSoto to win 6A D1. Duncanville might be able but don’t think so. There are a lot of good teams around…..Plano East for example. I’m not sure what class Deer Park is in but they’re like 29-0. Is that the team with Gaul on it? I haven’t been to a single game this year. So all I got is what is in the newspapers here in DFW. Jump in here with any thoughts or opinions on players or teams. I’ll post here about any teams, games or other as it all unfolds. I’ll probably get out to see a game or two. Or not.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

If you are talking about 2023 Gisella Maul, she plays for Cedar Park (NW Austin suburb).

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Well as it goes for 6A my final 4 picks are

1. Desoto
    2. Summer creek
    3. Duncanville
    4. Austin High

The top two teams are duncanville and Desoto but, due to alignment they would have to face each other in the final 4. As far as the other side of the bracket. I would have to say Summer creek and Austin high will be the other two teams in the final 4. Austin high and Summer would be a great game because, both are very athletic and I’ve seen Austin high in person and they beat some great teams without their post player and Summer creek is fast and have skilled players. I’d have to say Desoto vs Summer creek in the championship.

4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I WAS talking about Cedar Park and Maul. Just got a few vowels, consonants and words out of place. As for as Duncanville vs DeSoto, I think they’ll meet in play_offs before state. They are in same district ….as well as Cedar Hill. I can’t visualize a scenario in which they are NOT in the same regional. So only one can make state. DeSoto beat Duncanville twice already. Perhaps they are the two best teams in the state…..ESPNW has those two plus Cedar Park in top 25 in country. I’m too lazy to check the other regions.

5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, if Duncanville and DeSoto are in the same district, then only one can come out of their region.

Region IV typically has a team from San Antonio advance. Other than Westlake, I can't remember an Austin area team advance to State in the largest classification. Perhaps SFA can represent.

6. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

It’s insanity and unproductive to spend my time on possible play-off games, etc. just yet. My strategy is to wait until the UIL publishes the brackets. Right now, I’m guessing that there are a lot of teams trying just to make the playoffs. I believe the top 4 teams in each district make it so just so many possibilities this early. I will inflame the discussion a little by saying that typically the winning teams come from Houston or DFW expanded areas. Getting a winner from San Antonio or Austin does happen…..but infrequently. It may not be true, but a lot of coaches in DFW think just getting to state is harder than winning it. Maybe it’s this year there is a winner from west, east, or central texas.

7. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Region 1: Best looking teams in this region right now are Lubbock Cooper (25-4), Amarillo High (26-5), (Little Elm) Braswell (30-2) and Coppell (32-1). Cooper and Amarillo are in the same district and Cooper beat Amarillo twice. This is a really tough region to pick. My pick to come out of the region is Braswell. It's hard to bet against West Texas teams but Braswell is near the Metroplex and in the same district as Allen and Prosper.
    Region 2: Duncanville & Desoto are in the same District and are the #1 &#2 ranked teams in the state. Unfortunately only one team can go to state. Desoto will come out of this region
    Region 3: Summer Creek and Shadow Creek sure looks the favorites to come out of the Houston region. They were close last year. My pick is Summer Creek to win the region.
    Region 4: San Antonio Clark (29-2) and Austin High (26-3) look like the teams to beat in this region. A San Antonio team has won the region the last 2 years and the SA schools overall are a little tougher. My pick is Clark to go on to win the region.
    Desoto wins it all against Summer Creek

• Like Like x 6
  8. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Ellis…..now that’s what we needed. Real facts. Now that you’ve risked your reputation with picks, we will promise to be gentle if they all don’t pan out. Thanks for researching.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Jacob Johnson

I’ve seen San Antonio Clark but it was at the beginning of the season at the Bowie tournament and they seem to be hitting their stride at the right time. Austin high just lost to Westlake but it seems they were missing their post player again so it will definitely be an interesting region. San Antonio Reagan and Judson are also some sleeper teams imo. Reagan has Sammie Wagner but I don’t see them going far since they lost their post who transferred. Clark and Austin high will be a good matchup. Who are your final 4 picks and who do you have advancing to state?

10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

As long as Amarillo High doesn’t make much noise…the Sandies were our crosstown rival growing up: old, ingrained prejudice. :)

11. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Cedar Park should win it all again in 5A this year. They are a very solid disciplined and well coached team.

• Like Like x 3
  13. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

According to today’s DMNews, here’s the top 6-A teams in Metroplex. 1. DeSoto; 2. Duncanville; 3. Coppell; 4. Plano East; 5. South Grand Prairie; 6. Cedar Hill; 7. Denton Braswell. There are other good teams but these are the ones most likely to make waves towards state.

14. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Plano East, Coppell, South Grand Prairie and Braswell are all in Region 1 with Lubbock Cooper and Amarillo! As I had mentioned this is a really tough region to come out of! I’m still going with Braswell to win the region!

15. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Lots of folks like Denton Braswell. I kinda like Plano East…..but it’s just a hunch. One team that I’ve heard nothing about is third ranked Coppell at 35-1. Since they are only 3 miles from my home……that’s sad. May try to go see them in first round play-off since the game should be close.

• Like Like x 2
  16. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I was wrong. Again. Essentially girls games were over on Tuesday. There were a few played Friday night where there were ties for playoff spots. But quick look didn’t mean much. I’ve scanned the bi-district games on Monday and Tuesday and not many games of interest. First round games CAN be mismatches as number ones play number fours. One that I might go see is Denton Braswell vs Hebron at The Colony at 6 pm on Monday. That would give me a chance to see DB and assess their potential for a long playoff run. A lot depends on how many lost golf balls and missed putts for me that afternoon to keep me playing late.

17. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

If you are interested in following the girls Texas high school playoffs go to the UIL web site below.
    Be sure to scroll to the bottom where the girls playoffs are shown. The boys playoffs are at the top of the page and are played a week behind the girls. The UIL is notoriously slow in keeping this form updated. They also do not always show the location and time of the game. All the bi-district games are district winners against fourth place finishers from another district so most are blowouts. But there are always some upsets. Look forward to hearing comments from all the experts out there.
    Basketball Playoff Brackets — University Interscholastic League (UIL)

18. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

The DMNews has a good preview of the girls playoffs in the Metroplex. Pretty good information. Spotlight on DeSoto. I learned that the star player for Denton Braswell is a LSU commit. So I will pass on going to see DB against Hebron Monday night. Might make another one somewhere close.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jacob Johnson

Judson was demolished by Brandeis and I was completely shocked by what I saw from them. Not the typical Judson I’m used to seeing but they do have a new coach.

20. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

All Metroplex favorite teams were in blowouts or non-competitive games Monday. The one interesting game was Euless Trinity beat Keller on a buzzer beating 3. Keller, the number 10 ranked team in DFW had a 7 point lead entering 4th quarter. They went into a semi-stall and didn’t score for 8 minutes. Overcoaching. Sure would like to see shot clock. Someday it’ll come. In the interim I hope these stall tactic defeats keep coaches from trying it. Maybe some good games tonight.

21. Jacob Johnson

Austin high beat Vandergrift tonight and will face Brandeis Thursday in San Antonio. I’ll be in attendance for that game.

Steele beat San Antonio Reagan tonight by 1 point. Sucks for Sammie Wagner after having such a great season coming back from that injury at the beginning of the year.

22. Club Dad

Club Dad < 25 Posts

Had opportunity to watch her play… Sammie played hard but needed some help … she finished with 28p out of the teams 40p and 17r of the 27r total while going 2-5 from three while team was 0 for 20. Also 8-11 from FT. Face guarded the whole night by 3 different defenders while being double and triple teamed all night, nothing easy. Had to play 1-5 but see her as a stretch 4 at the next level.

• Like Like x 5
  23. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Sammie is a very talented player. Too bad she doesn't have a little help. Would love to see her in burnt orange! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  24. Jacob Johnson

Yeah that loss of Christeen Iwuala really hurt this team and it also sucks because, she transferred and had to sit out her senior year. Sucky situation all around

25. Jacob Johnson

Austin high completely dominated San Antonio Brandeis tonight winning 70-48. I mentioned it before in the 2023 thread but Austin highs twin guards Aubrey and Shanel Reid are the real deal and very underrated. Both 5’10 with a great shot and play great defense. Texas needs to seriously get in contact with them.

• Like Like x 1
  26. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

DeSoto, Duncanville and Cedar Hill all won, although CH only by one against a good Wylie team. These 3 are from the same district. Other two were blowouts. Denton Braswell also won in a blowout. Plano East plays tonight.

27. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Muhammad and Smith both had 18 to lead DeSoto.

• Like Like x 3
  28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Wasn’t sure where to post this but it’s a bit of a head scratcher. Hensle was Shay’s HS coach and was also a coach with the CyFair Nike org.

29. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

All the Metroplex teams won last night. A good local one was South Grand Prairie beat a good Plano team by 6. SGP is young…..best players are sophomores…..but can play.

30. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

It”s getting serious now. Duncanville beat a very good Cedar Hill team by 17 points last night. DeSoto won by 35 against Mansfield Lake Ridge with Muhammad having 12. Smith had a big game with 22. South Grand Prairie beat a very good Coppell team by 7 with it being a one point game with 3 minutes to play. Duncanville vs DeSoto coming up Friday in Region Finals. Argyle continues to win….I think they are undefeated. Other games Tuesday night leading to Friday/Saturday games.

• Like Like x 3