High School Playoffs

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by flash34, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Got a chance to catch the Austin high vs Steele game and Steele upset Austin high tonight. I normally don’t blame refs but, these officials were one of the worst I’ve seen in a high school game. Dictated the entire game from start to finish but Steele played a good game.

• Hot Hot x 1
  2. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Denton Braswell beat a good Plano East by 3. Next up…..LD Bell this weekend. Williams the LSU signee had 22.

3. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Friday’s games are DeSoto vs Tomball Memorial and Duncanville vs Conroe. Both games in Dallas. Anybody know anything about TM or Conroe? Obviously the favorites would be DeSoto vs Duncanville on Saturday. Some good games around …..South Grand Prairie and Denton Braswell have games against Southlake Carroll and LD Bell. However, should meet Saturday in region finals in Ft Worth. The only game involving a Texas player is Muhammad with DeSoto.

• Like Like x 1
  4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

A nice write-up today in the Dallas Morning News on Mansfield Timberview. MT plays Amarillo Friday in region semis in Ft Worth. The coach at MT is Kit Kyle Martin and is of special interest to me. Coach Martin was the coach at Flower Mound Marcus prior to Mansfield Timberview opening. She was a real firebrand and I didn’t like her coaching style at Marcus while they had really successful teams. She opened up her gym to AAU and I refereed many weekends there. And she seemed much nicer in that role. In one AAU tournament final, I was surprised that she was my refereeing partner. I not only found out that she was a good coach but an outstanding referee as well. And a nice person. I root for MT from afar. I learned that coaching personnas can certainly be different than personal style. I don’t want to count how many years ago that was…..eons….but nice to see her successful. Mansfield Timberview has a real shot at making State.

• Like Like x 3
  5. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Amarillo snd Lake Dallas win. DeSoto wins. South Grand Prairie wins.

6. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

DeSoto vs Duncanville…..Denton Braswell vs South Grand Prairie tomorrow. Lincoln and Argyle win and play two teams? (Decatur). Frisco Liberty vs Frisco Memorial tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

These should be good games!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I’m still thinking DeSoto wins. It’s hard to beat a good team 3 times in one season but? The two previous games were barn burners. Duncanville won big last night but shot poorly according to their coach. Muhammad had 18 to lead DeSoto last night. A Williams(LSU0 only had 3 for Denton B but the other team was determined Williams didn’t beat em…..and make other players do it. They did. A side note….I was surprised Mansfield Timberview got handily beaten. Their star Desiree Wooten hurt her knee in previous game and didn’t play…..by I think Amarillo. Argyle squeaked by Canyon on late game heroics. Argyle is 35-0.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Desoto and SGP advanced so far today

10. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Argyle wins. Amarillo too. Denton Braswell got down 16-2 and never recovered. Frisco Memorial too

11. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

DeSoto beat Duncanville 60-47. No stats yet

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

6A state finals will be:
    Desoto
    South Grand Prairie
    Summer Creek
    San Antonio Clark

• Like Like x 2
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Looks like Cedar Park on its way back to State!

Junior Gisella Maul scored 17 points for Cedar Park and secured a game-high 14 rebounds. She also delivered some big shots in the game’s biggest moments; a floater at the first-half buzzer gave Cedar Park a 24-15 edge, and her buzzer-beating 3-pointer at the end of the third period lifted the Timberwolves to a 32-28 lead.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Citlaly Gutierrez, a Texas softball 2022 signee, and the Stamford High School Lady Bulldogs Basketball team made it to the Class 2A State Championship tournament next week in San Antonio. I couldn’t find any information on her stats but being the athlete she is I’m sure she is a big contributor to the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  16. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

17. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Interesting...thanks for posting. Also 5A Cedar Park/Gisella Maul play March 3 at 7pm. I don't think Texas has any prospects in 1A - 4A state tourney, but not certain about that.

The link claims it will be televised by Bally Sport Southwest, which is available on most cable packages. However, when I check the current channel guide, it shows programs like the ACC women's tournament games on March 3 and 4. (It's odd that the ACC women's tourney starts so early; the B12 doesn't start until March 10, and our first game will be March 11.)

However, the March 5 6A girls championship game at 8:30 pm is currently listed on the Bally channel guide.

18. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Historically the Girls 6A finals game is the only game broadcast by former Fox sports southwest now Bally Sports. I don’t think that has changed.
    If you are really interested in watching the state tournament games you can watch them on NFHS Network. Per the app and I quote:The NFHS Network is the leader in streaming Live and On Demand high school sports. All NFHS Network events are available to watch online at www.NFHSnetwork.com and through the NFHS Network Mobile Apps for iOS and Android and our TV Apps for ROKU, Amazon Fire, Google TV and Apple TV. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. You have to pay per game. I have an annual subscription so not sure how much the single game cost is. I saw that the Cedar Park and Desoto semifinal games were being broadcast.

19. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

As Mr. Burns would say....E X C E L L E N T.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Another player to watch at the state tournament is Ashlon Jackson from class 4A Hardin-Jefferson HS. She is ranked by ESPN as the #16 player in 2022 and committed to Duke. She did not give Texas a sniff. I heard she did not want to stay in State for college. I saw her play in the state tournament when she was a freshman and she was a stud. She is in fact the highest rated player in Texas per ESPN for the 2022 class. They play Argyle in there semifinal game. I don’t give them much of a chance against Argyle.

21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Actually, the majority of the P5 conferences start their women's tournaments this week (SEC, PAC12, ACC, B1G). The Big 12 is the only one which plays theirs in conjunction with the men's tournament. So, while we're playing in KC, the other conferences get an extra week of rest prior to the NCAA tourney.

• Like Like x 1
  22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Zig……Bally Sports Southwest (old Fox Sports Southwest) is really NOT on most cable packages. This debacle of broadcasting makes it where most Rangers/Stars/Mavericks fans in DFW cannot see them on their cable systems. I have Frontier snd BSS was dropped about a year ago. ATT&T in some packages and Spectrum are the only large cable providers that carry them. None of the streaming providers carry BSS. It’s a huge contract fight. Most of MLB areas are carried by BSS but are not on their metropolitan area cable systems. I’ll be going to my daughters home to see the girls basketball games on Spectrum.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Nice alliteration. I stand corrected.

Don't get me started on how much we overspend on cable, another "debacle of broadcasting."

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Jacob Johnson

When did they flip the bracket for the final 4? Last year for the 6A bracket, region 1 & 2 played each other in the final four but this year 3 & 4 are playing 1&2 for the final 4 meaning we could have a region 1 vs 2 or 3 vs 4 championship which makes no sense. Desoto should be playing SGP and Clark should be playing summer creek but it’s flipped this year.

25. GlendaA

GlendaA 25+ Posts

Rooting for my old tiny town 2A Gruver Lady Greyhounds, they’ve been on a roll and even have a girl committed to Tech. Not sure if they’ve had a D1 player before, or at least not many!

• Like Like x 1
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I thought they determined the semi-final matchups in all classes based on winning percentage; so, 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  27. Jacob Johnson

You’re probably right. I never paid attention to the details I just always thought it was region 1 & 2 vs 3 & 4 and winner meet in the championship. I guess that’s why cy-creek and desoto were on opposite sides last season. Thank you for that information I never knew it was based on winning percentage.

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  30. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Cedar Park score?