Hillary Clinton, 3rd woman SoS

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Horns2005, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

She's accepting, according to the UK Guardian.

The Link

I know there's another thread, but I thought it might deserve its own thread seeing how she's taking the job.

2. Lamp

Lamp 250+ Posts

In the big picture it's a good move. She will bring a lot of gravitas to solving difficult problems like Palestine/Israel and having Bill to advise her and Obama is a big plus despite the complications he also brings.

3. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

And it signals a significant change from past presidents such as Bill Clinton and George Bush.

4. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

A change in foreign policy from W was enough. I think Clinton is a good choice. She's smart and tough.

Ironically, his choice of her shows that he will change things his own way even if this choice makes the obvious and simple jibe above an easy one to make. Hilary Clinton is a new face at State. She's hardly Bill Clinton's puppet.

5. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
    Sun-tzu
    Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC)

THAT'S ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE SAID. [​IMG]

6. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

7. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Really Uninformed? You don't think he was largely voted in an an alternative to Bush? Isn't that why he tried to tie McCain to Bush? Heck, he successfully attempted to tie Hillary to Bush on 1 major issue important to the Democratic party. There wasn't much difference in their other policy positions.

I think it's a good move and shows that Obama isn't afraid of other strong leaders. Hillary will be a very good change from Condoleeza Rice. The latter may just be the weakest SoS we've had in 20 years.

8. softlynow

softlynow 1,000+ Posts

Has someone checked on blueglass yet? I think a suicide watch is in order. [​IMG]

9. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

Namewithheld,

Bingo.

10. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

If this keeps her off the Supreme Court then fair enough.

She supported the war and has been a fairly decent junior senator for NY. Perhaps Rudy will make a run for her seat - or will Bill? [​IMG]

11. Gone To Texas

Gone To Texas 500+ Posts

Apparently Rudy is mulling a run for Governor of NY.

12. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Guest

What qualifies her for the job?

13. ruidosomike

ruidosomike 100+ Posts

If we start asking about qualifications for the job, you gotta start with the whole crowd:

The Chosen One: community organizer
    Secretary of TReasury: Robert Rubin, failed Citi head and failed Clinton cabinet member; loser

Secretary of State: Hill Clinton. Probably has never been overseas, universally hated by the military, crook.

What a group. The next four years are going to be fun. I just hope they don't completely ruin what's left of this country.

14. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

15. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Guest

I just don't know that her expertise, or her personality, is particularly suited to that position. I suppose I can be convinced otherwise, but I find it difficult to believe that she's the best suited person we have for that job.

She's linear, ambitious, somewhat high-strung, and has no background -- as far as I know -- in history. She was a poli sci major, a community organizer, a child-advocate lawyer for a time, and then a career politician, first as wife and then as a holder of office.

I'm afraid she'll run the State department in a low-risk, don't rock the boat manner that will best position her for a future run at the presidency. I'm not sure that such a course will always be the best choice for our country.

16. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

17. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

18. Michael Knight

Michael Knight 1,000+ Posts

Very Lincolnesque decision

19. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

20. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

I think she would be as good as any other Sec of State he is likely to choose. I am surprised she wants it instead of going for Senate majority leader.

The big downside is all her husband's multi-million dollar payoffs-err, deals, from foreign countries have to be brought up in the confirmation hearings. I assume she is easily approved given the overwhelming D majority, but expect to be battered pretty good about those in questioning.

Obama should note that Truman did something similar with his first Secretary of State James F. Byrnes. Byrnes thought Roosevelt should have picked him as President and acted like Byrnes owned foreign policy, ignoring Trumen. Truman ditched him within a year and replaced him with General Marshall. I could see the same happening with Hillary. Kinda like Kissinger doing his own thing too.

21. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Retreads from the only administration in the last century to be impeached = change we can believe in?

22. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

That impeachment is more an embarrassment to the GOPs than the Dems.

But why use impeachment as the standard? Why not use forced to resign in disgrace? How many of those have we had in the last century?

I'll ignore the increasingly tired criticism of an administration that hasn't even begun yet. There'll be an immediate change for the better early next year.

23. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Rudeoso is right, Hillary has never been overseas, except for the times she visited 80 different nations. She has plenty of foreign policy experience, and is known and respected by many foreign government officials, who don't run their nations according to Republican campaign talking points.
    She is a good choice for Secretary of State.
    I would rather she have a major position dealing with health care reform, but looks like that won't be her role now.

24. ruidosomike

ruidosomike 100+ Posts

Having tea parties as the wife of a President = meaningful foreign policy experience for the Left. LOL. Given the lack of any experience by their Exalted One, not hard to understand. Hey Barry, find China on the map! <crickets chirping>

25. Fried JJ Pickles

Fried JJ Pickles 1,000+ Posts

26. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

27. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

28. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts