Hitting the road... for good.

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Bernard, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

39 years old. No wife. No kids. No desire for either. The credit crunch has me semi-retired as it is. I'm thinking about taking a long very journey with an uncertain ending.

I figure I can get going with a rig like this:

2001 F-250 Crew Cab ($9,000)

New Travel Trailer - Toy Hauler ($25,000)

2002 Harley Davidson VROD ($12,500)

I figure with a bunch a solar panels and bank of batteries, my TV and internet fixes will be met.

Sell my house, cars, and most of my belongings. No debts. My only bills would be a cell phone, satellite TV / internet and high deductible health insurance. I figure with all my free time I could learn to cook and keep my expenses down.

I could be a vagabond. I'd like to be in Texas during the football season. In the off season, I could move around. A month or two here. A month or two there. Ski season in the mountains, or maybe Baja. Stay north in the summer where the temps are mild. South Dakota, Montana, Canada. Maybe I'll hike the Appalachian Trail one summer. Who knows? The world will be my oyster. Gas money and my imagination will be the only things keeping me down.

If I wanted to go overseas, I could put the whole rig in storage for $100/month. If free time is no longer the primary limitation, I think I could get by on the cheap in many parts of the developing world.

I don't think I would run out of places to see or things to do. I wonder if I'd get lonely out there and lose touch with all my friends. Of course I already have lots of friends that I only see during football season anyway. They aren't going anywhere.

I've got some money in the bank. It would be enough to keep me going for quite a long time, but I'm not sure it's enough to keep me going forever. I could put it into some riskier investments, but it would suck to have another Enron or Worldcom cut my trip short.

I have a great life now and it's much easier to stick with the status quo. Without a bunch a work to keep me busy all day, this is the kind of stuff I think about.

Your thoughts?

Bernard

2. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

that sounds like an awesome idea as long as you have the bankroll for it (and you said you do). set sail.

3. Scipio Tex

Scipio Tex 100+ Posts

My thought is that you should absolutely do it.

4. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

What will you do if the money runs out?

5. mrjefft

mrjefft 100+ Posts

Just remember that when you park your Travel Trailer, things are going to start to cost money...

One night in a KOA campground with a rig is over $100. That is around $3000/month. If you stay a month in a run down park, it is around $5-600/month, but, you may have your stuff stolen while you're off on your Harley.

With gas around $3.50/gallon, and you driving a vehicle that will probably pull 10-15 mpg, you are looking at $350 every thousand miles.

Food and Booze. Add $30-$100/day for this, depending upon your standards.

Wireless card... $100/month.

Insurances....These never go away, plan to pay from now forward, including health insurance at appx. $100/mo., Auto, Motorcycle, etc...

Now, realize you will give up your regular house, and friends, and live in something that is 12 feet by 32 feet forever. Go into your house. Mark off a 12 X 32 area. try to stay in it for a month. Don't use the rest of the house.
    Don't take a bath, there aren't any in travel trailers. As a matter of fact, block off your current shower so it is only 3 feet by 3 feet. Now, try to take a shower.

You must have Dish Network, or Direct, and either spend the three grand for a self locating dish, of learn to set up your own dish every time you stop. Add $50/month for service.

You need a cell phone with nationwide service, and lots of minutes... Add $100/month.

Also, these travel trailers aren't meant for constant use, just for vacationing. After 5 years of constant use, the floors begin to sag, and everything else (carpet, etc... needs to be replaced....

i know people who do just what you are saying.

I suggest one of these:
    Tow a 50 mpg hybrid behind you, or a hauler with a Harley.
    Newell Motor Coach

6. chuychanga

chuychanga 500+ Posts

I say think about all of those concerns for about 30 seconds and then cast them out of your mind and go RV/truck/motorcycle shopping today.

My parents-in-law lived in an RV full time for about 5 years. They are not nearly as wealthy as you. They finally settled back into a house only because they wanted to be near the grandkids full-time. They traveled all over the country and did what they wanted to do. All things considered their expenses were about the same as when they lived in a small house in a small town.

Money was never a problem for them on the road and it sounds like you are much better off than they were.

Have you considered going on a long sailing adventure? There was an article in the Statesman a while back about an Austinite who'd been off sailing the world for the last 10 years or so and was finally coming home and going back to work for a few years.

7. chuychanga

chuychanga 500+ Posts

8. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

find one of these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

Awesome sailing story.

Yes. I have thought about sailing. That is my alternative fanstasy. I love the water, but my sailing experience is very limited. I've done a lot of reading about the cruising lifestyle and suprizingly, once you have the boat paid for, the on-going expenses can be quite reasonable.

These guys are my sailing heros:Bel Ami Charters They run a seasonal charter business and get people to pay them $3,000 - $4,000 a week to come sailing in their boat with them in the Carribean. They own an AMEL which is a very expensive boat. Even a 9-10 year 50-footer will cost you $350k.

Bernard

10. snow leopard27

snow leopard27 250+ Posts

Bernard,

I'm MD's friend Phil; we sat together at the Baylor game in 2005. Don't know if you remember.

I spent a year travelling in 1994-95, went again in 1998. I travelled around India, China, Nepal, and much of SE Asia. One of the greatest experiences of my life, particularly the first time I went. And very cheap; I did for about $20 / day. If your get tired of travelling their are lots of opportunites to stop and teach english, do volunteer work, etc. I found the people generally very friendly.

You could live and travel very comfortably in most of those places for $20K-$25K / year .

11. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

CaptainEd, that thing looks incredible. What is it and how much does it cost? And where is the bathroom, under the loft? As far as I can tell, it needs a TV, too.

12. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

13. Big Ess Fro

Big Ess Fro 250+ Posts

I did two months in Europe no prob.

On the money side, I would move everything to very safe investements - CDs, treasuries and such. Try to live of the interest as much as possible.

Good call on the high-deductible insurance. That will keep premiums lower.

You could keep the costs down by being smart in your travel - stay in regions for long periods, don't be too ambitious.

Do it. I still think you may get married some day, so do it now.

Can Jane and I stay in your RV for UT road games?

14. Scipio Tex

Scipio Tex 100+ Posts

I would throw out one humble thought for you:

Part of the appeal of travel to me is a lack of encumbrance. You haul around a lot of **** and you end up spending a lot of time worrying about that **** as much as the **** you had at home. More, in fact, because you're leaving it in strange environments.

I'd favor a vehicle, a tent, and a mountain bike if you want to do the discover America thing. Most towns have televisions - schedule your wilderness breaks to hit a sports bar. I don't really get the TV thing to be honest. You're going to camp out under the skies in Zion National Park and you need to watch Matlock? Do you really need to be connected 24-7? There's no place in America too far from internet cafes, public libraries, a Kinkos.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but isn't the value of something like this best realized by not traveling with a massive, multi-layered security blanket?

When I traveled independently in Africa, I still managed to win my fantasy football league and keep up with the Horns and I wasn't carrying ****. You just make it work. Had I been laden with something for every possible contingency known to man, my trip would have flat out sucked.

That's me though. I know everyone has different creature comforts.

15. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Scipio raises some valid points. For me, it's the opposite. I like to be comfortable -- I just don't like (OK, "need") people around me all that much. If I could kick everyone out of my house for a month without inciting a divorce, I'd probably do it.

Which brings up another issue -- Bernard, are you sure you wouldn't lose your mind travelling alone for extended periods of time? I'd be fine, and I imagine most guys are that way, but I know some people who lose it without human contact on a daily basis.

16. baboso

baboso 250+ Posts

Do it. I'm 47 years old and will envy you every minute of it.

17. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

18. crash_davis

crash_davis 250+ Posts

i've thought about doing something like this but realized that it's a trade off issue. you are delaying retirement for being able to live now.

me, i have a family, so i champion the status quo. i work and put a ton towards savings and investments. my plan is to retire by the time i'm 55, with everything paid for.

if you take an extended time off during your peak earning years, you are most likely screwing any chance of your retiring at a reasonable age. i don't want to be slaving away at 65.

but many people don't want to spend their mid 30s - mid 40s slaving away working for someone else.

19. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

So many good comments here, keep 'em coming.

A few thoughts...

20. IslandTime

IslandTime < 25 Posts

Great idea. I picked up and left for the Caribbean when I was 27. Stayed for awhile and came back got married and started my career over. If you don't have experience now I would recommend getting on as a waiter or bartender somewhere before heading out. My experience has been you can usually pick up a job doing one or the other if needed. If you were to end up in or around a city for instance you could hook on with a staffing company. Or pick up a seasonal job in a tourist area. I know your plan is not to work, but it could come in handy if you needed to make some quick cash. I believe that places like Yellowstone take on summer help. Good luck!

21. Dell Griffith

Dell Griffith 25+ Posts

i've read your posts for some time bernard. You have provided interesting opinions and "words of wisdom" here for years.

I'm just curious what you do/did? you can PM if you want

22. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

I arrange financing for commerical real estate transations. I'm basically a mortgage broker for apartment buildings, office buildings, shopping centers and industrial properties. In the business since 1992.

Bernard

23. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

24. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

25. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

Not sure, but I bought a Rand McNally/Wal-Mart road atlas a couple of years ago, and the policy was outlined in there. It is pretty cool.

26. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

I found this:

27. Hager85

Hager85 25+ Posts

If you must stay at Wal_mart I'd stay home.

28. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

I like the idea. Of course, I would go a little more stripped down. I'd get a 4x4Toyota Tacoma, put a bed cover on it. Then I'd get a small cargo trailer, like a 5X8ft. Install a vent on the top, a bunk, and some storage, electrical system, put solar panels on it. Basically make myself a little ghetto camping trailer. Throw my camping gear, bike, kayak, whatever in it and go. If I could find a way to hook on a small 50cc scooter I'd do that too. Because it'd be a smaller setup, it'd be easier to park places. You could stay at a hostel every week, or other week to catch a shower.

29. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

I've always wanted to go on an extended road trip. maybe not as long as bernard is talking about but a really long trip...like 2-4 months all across the US....maybe even driving up to Alaska.

With gas prices so high it does make it harder, but the idea is really allsome. No wife or kids here, but a full time job makes it really hard to leave for 4 months.

When does it make sense to buy a camper/rv vs. just staying in a hotel? Of course if you're living out of your RV then the answer is easy....but for a 2-4 month trip would seem that hotel/motel/famliy/friends route would be better.

I just think it would be so cool to travel all over the US and go to every state...seeing the sights along the way.

30. ryskey

ryskey 100+ Posts

I've met a bunch of drifters during my trips to other countries. My first reaction is fairly intense jealousy. Everything they own is on their backs. That is the definition of freedom. I mean, I've done that, but only for 3 months at a time. These guys had been doing it for a year or more, with no end in sight, and nothing to tie them down or worry about.

Out of the dozens of drifters I've met, a 40-year old Brit I met in Central America sticks out the most. Former consultant from Manchester who'd sold everything he owned. That guy had it down. I still keep in touch with him. He stays long enough in places to form meaningful friendships with people (me included), then moves on. Just wanders. My buddy offered him a place at his house if he decides to come to Texas for a few months. And we could certainly find him a bartending job. He might come, I don't know.

Now think about that for a second....and about how many other friends in other parts of the world who have offered him the same thing. His "home" is on 6 continents. I think he's in Mozambique or something right now.

I think about living like that and it's like a fantasy. Seriously, you know those Dos Equis commercials about The Most Interesting Man In the World? That's him. He has so many incredible experiences, and countless stories.

Yes, I'm jealous, but I don't think I could do that forever. Maybe two years, I don't know. It takes a special kind of person to be that independent for that long (and from what I can tell from your posts, Bernard, you are). I think I'd miss home too much, and maybe even want a wife and family at some point. And, I think it would take a heavy emotional toll forming all these friendships and then leaving and having to start over. After a while, at least. Maybe not, who knows. It really is very easy to meet people on an extended trip. Damn, I need to go on another trip.

Godspeed, Carl.

Sorry to get all wistful, but this thread struck a chord.