Holiday House, and others

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by J.R.69, Jun 8, 2007.

1. J.R.69

J.R.69 250+ Posts

I was in Austin briefly last weekend and made a quick pass by the (what used to be) Holiday House at 51st and Airport. It now houses a Fast Stop store. Are there still Holiday Houses in Austin? When I was a freshman at UT there was a Holiday House just south of 21st & Guadalupe, one on N. Lamar and one on Barton Spgs Rd. Are they all closed now? If so, that's a real shame, as their burgers were the best!

While I'm at it, anyone remember Hank's Grill around Guadalupe and 26th St? GREAT CFS, with burnt-orange gravy. How about the Plantation at 19th and Guadalupe?
    Casiraghi's? El Toro?

2. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

I'm pretty sure they're all gone. The vegan-nazi landowner chased them out of their Terrytown location, and they tried to open a location in Westlake but it had all kinds of problems, and didn't last but a few months.

3. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

holiday house es muerto

4. Idahorn2

Idahorn2 250+ Posts

Two Holiday House Bonanza burgers caused me to apply for admission. (sorta) The lasagna at Casiraghi's is the best I've ever had--here or in Italy. You are a kindred spirit, sir.

5. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

RIP Holiday House. [​IMG]

Had my first #5 Flameburger at the one on Barton Springs Road over 45 years ago.

6. 1918Speedway

1918Speedway 250+ Posts

J.R.69, you are talkin' my generation. I'm still mad that all the Holiday Houses are gone. Hank's Grill was a Sunday night staple while I was a student, and El Toro was my favorite when I was a little kid.
    It just makes me sad to see so much of my Austin childhood continue to disappear.

7. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

The first burger I ever remember eating as a child was Holiday House off Exposition. I always got excited going to the one on Barton Springs, because we'd get to see the alligator.

But it's ok - it's a lot better now - we get lots of chains, high walled town houses, and condos - Just like Dallas!!! And it's great for the economy!!

All you old Austin "keep it weird" hippie types just need to quit your bitching. Progress is good!

[​IMG]

8. oldgeezer

oldgeezer 25+ Posts

I blame my eternal battle of the bulge on the 20 kabillionzillion burgers I ate at Holiday House on Barton Springs in the 70s. Loved those damn things. We played city league flag football for years across the street and would invariably head for HH after the games to pig out. And I miss Charley the gator. That was his name, wasn't it?

9. Brak

Brak 500+ Posts

Charlie was the gator's name on Barton Springs. Jeff Ward was talking about him last night on the radio.

Wasn't there also a Holiday House on Burnet Road just north of Koenig Lane?

While I remember a 2-J's on the Drag (also owned by Ralph Moreland), I'm having a hard time remembering a Holiday House. The 2-J's was later turned into a Whataburger.

10. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

the 2-Js on Guadalupe is now EZ's.

11. sua sponte

sua sponte 100+ Posts

THe Holiday House on Guadalupe was where the Schlotzke's is ..... just north of 19th St./MLK

12. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

schlotzky's is not north of 29th. milto's is at 29th & guadalupe

schlotzky's is just north of mlk on guadalupe

ez's is on north lamar

13. Punt on 1st Down

Punt on 1st Down 100+ Posts

Ok, I know we're all getting older and our memories are fading but I only remember 3 Holiday Houses; one in Tarrytown on Exposition, one on Barton Springs, and one on Airport at 53rd.

Other than that, does anyone remember The Stallion on North Lamar?

Also, after church, we would often eat at El Gallo on South Congress. Is that still there? Then, there was this place on Burnet just north of North Loop called the Chuck Wagon, I think, about where the Arby's is now. It was another after-church place.

14. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

Dude - the Chuck Wagon.

I haven't thought about that place in years....

[​IMG]

15. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Wasn't there one on airport?

16. UT94Horn

UT94Horn 25+ Posts

I used to work at Builders Square on airport and the Holiday House was next door. We ate their quite often. Miss that place.

17. sua sponte

sua sponte 100+ Posts

GakFoo, of course you are right . I fixed it . Was a typo....meant 19 not 29

18. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

19. UTBandGuy09

UTBandGuy09 25+ Posts

i remember how mad i was when i found out holiday house was getting closed in tarrytown, as we would almost always go there after church since we were just down the street. that place was so good! at least there are still a few original austin joints for a real burger.

20. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Yup, there was a Holiday House on Burnet Road. We went there all the time when I was a kid and it was delicious.

But I always REALLY looked forward to heading down to the one with Charlie.

Loved The Stallion, too, with the yellow gravy. Good times.