Holla!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Beau Vine, Apr 26, 2008.

1. mrtoddzo

mrtoddzo 25+ Posts

How is Martellus a locker room cancer exactly?

2. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

3. seb44

seb44 250+ Posts

Notebook: The Cowboys on Sunday called former Texas A&M tight end Martellus Bennett, who they selected in the second round, to tell him to refrain from mentioning Tony Romo’s girlfriend, Jessica Simpson. Bennett said Saturday he was looking forward to playing with Romo because, “Any quarterback that can get Jessica Simpson, I’ve got to play with him.” Said Phillips, “We’ve had enough of that.”.?.?. www.mysanantonio.com/sports/football/nfl/cowboys/stories/MYSA042808.08D.FBNcowboys.draft.a84ee7b1.html

4. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

5. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

6. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

7. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

My initial reaction to the Cowboys drafting Bennett was that it was a bad move: the Cowboys already have a Pro Bowl tight end in Jason Witten, so the Cowboys don't need another TE. Besides, I don't want my Cowboys drafting an Aggie.

Now, after thinking about the pick, I see a previously underused player who has great potential. There was no room for Bennett in A&M's run-oriented option offense, but the Cowboys want to use him to his full potential. Two-TE sets with Witten & Bennett could be quite scary for opposing defenses, especially if Bennett really is that good.

8. hablue65

hablue65 25+ Posts

While Bennett was playing for Aggy my son and I happened to run into him at a local eating establishment. I think it was last year. When Bennett walked next to us my son said WOW! that man is tall. Well Bennett over heard the comment and started laughing. Bennett turned around and shook my son's hand and then shook my hand. I didn't know for sure who he was so I asked him if he played basketball for A&M. Bennett said he used to play basketball but was on the football team. We had a nice conversation while we were waiting for a table. Bennett was very polite and well mannered. He was with a group of aggy athletes, some football players, some basketball players. Of the group he was the only one that showed any interest in the outside world. My son is the biggest Longhorn fan a 10 year old can be but he was really excited to meet Tellus. In that 10 or so minutes of conversation I got the impression that Bennett was a very really a pretty decent person. After we were seated at the table, I then realized my son was wearing his Longhorn baseball cap.

When we were leaving we had to pass by the table all of the athletes were sitting at, when my son walked by Bennett stopped my son and told him he was a very nice young man but he had a poor choice of hats. My son laughed and flashed the entire table a [​IMG] Everyone had a big laugh.

I have seen and heard all the talk about Tellus over the years. Since that chance meeting I have always given him the benefit of the doubt. The impression I got from the one time meeting was Bennett is just a fun loving college kid and most of what he says is just for entertainment.

9. BigDLonghorn22

BigDLonghorn22 25+ Posts

Okay. I like him now. That was a funny joke about Jessica Simpson. Romo needs to get a sense of humor about it. Also, I heard that he was freaking out that Jerry Jones was calling him - I would do the same thing.

10. Not Shinola

Not Shinola 250+ Posts

Tellus is a loud mouth, but not a Cancer. He played under a very ****** coach that underutilized him for 3 years and never complained. Instead just remained focused, and blocked his *** off.

11. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

On Dallas morning news blogs I saw a lot of guff because the Cowboys didn't draft a wide receiver in the second round. I think it was mostly nutst. If you are choosing between guys who run 4.7 40s, why not chose the one thats 6'7" and weighs 250?

12. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Because of his size and hands, I expect him to have a significant impact in the red zone passing offense. He may not be that fast, but he is a big target that can block out defenders and fight for the ball.