Holton Hill out for the season

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Driver 8, Nov 7, 2017.

1. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Was it drugs though, or just weed? :smokin:

• Like Like x 3
  2. 806 Horn

806 Horn 25+ Posts

I wonder if it was something really really bad, like marijuana...you know, the gateway drug?

• Like Like x 1
  3. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Am guessing this means his pee was more than just the wrong color...

4. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I don't believe they would let him anywhere NEAR the field if that were the case. That would have the potential to jeopardize more than just a player...that is a program violation that impacts the entire team via probation.

5. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

This is so frustrating that these guys don't understand that they have a lot riding on their career's & their teammates counting on them to do the right thing. They are being selfish for a temporary high. This is like a politician having an affair right in the middle of a campaign election. It makes zero sense that they are willing to jeopardize millions of $$$ to be stupid.

• Like Like x 2
  6. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Everything you say is true. In college, I was very focused on my future and knew that a lot was riding on what I did. The degree I was working towards held the key to my future. That said, there were some pretty stupid choices made that ended up not hurting me. Purely good luck vs. bad luck, I assure you. I wonder how many of us were as pure as driven snow in our early adulthood?

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Phil,

I do not now, nor have I ever believed this is drug related. There are various degrees of "problematic behavior", which could have an adverse affect on the team and program; this includes associating with "the wrong people", unless of course you are playing for Chip Kelly or Art Briles.

Nip it in the bud, make an example that it will not be tolerated, and then declare open season on the scum that is the problem and send them a strong message - THIS IS TEXAS - K E G!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

well if we had only one loss or zero I would b upset but we are not...c'est LA vie.

9. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not sure of the rule, but if he were now ineligible, aren't they required to disclose it? Even if not, I don't know that I've heard of someone saying that a person had been suspended when it was an eligibility issue.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Lovely. Visual now stuck in mind.

Is pee pee collector a union job?

11. eastexhorn

eastexhorn 250+ Posts

Maybe the players are not as talented as most fans think they are?

12. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Does kinda lead one to that conclusion doesn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

In light of these events should he stay in school or should he enter the draft? I wonder if he will be on the team next season. I would like that. I guess it depends on the nature of the offense. Probably he is pissed off and will enter the draft.

14. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Well I believe that we have four players that could be drafted Jefferson Williams Hill and Dickson.

15. ProdigalHorn

To be fair, that doesn't mean there aren't any players that are on the radar to be drafted. It just means there aren't as many guys that are progressed and ready to be drafted as juniors. I have no doubt NFL scouts were planning on drafting Holton Hill (for example,) he's just not considered someone that's so exceptional that he would likely not be benefitted by staying for his senior year.

16. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

My guess is he cussed out and/or threatened Beck. Herman probably told him, "Son you know you're wrong, so I have to punish you. But I want you to know, I understand, so I won't kick you off the team."

17. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Horns247 says that Hill had his 3rd violation of the team's drug policy and therefore is subject to a 1/2 season suspension. The other 2 violations were under CS.

18. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Must of been some good weed.

19. ProdigalHorn

Swish.

20. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I would add Ford and Elliott.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

3 games into next season? If he stays

22. ProdigalHorn

I hope he gets that three drug-related violations in three years is really not gonna endear him to the NFL scouts. If he wants to be a Day 1 draft pick, he probably needs to show he can go more than six months without a hit.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Ricky couldn't give up the wacky-weed, either.

24. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Herman is doing the same BS Strong was IF the weed report is true. We need to implement the Les Miles system where you have to fail 15 drug tests before a suspension. I just do not see why nearly evey UT student can smoke weed without consequence, but the football players are held to a different standard. That is nonsense and unrealistic. Anyway, this is a bad sign for the future of Herman here if the weed report is true.

• Like Like x 1
  25. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I don't understand. People have jobs where they knowingly get drug tested for illegal and legal substances. You know that when you get hired. You get tested and fail, and you cry unfair? You blame the coach who is facilitating the rules? There is nothing wrong with players being held to a different standard than the general population. In my house, we call that good parenting when we give our kids higher standards than most of their peers.

I'll vote to legalize weed if it becomes a referendum, but I won't have any before then. That's not crazy, wacky logic. That's normal human being behavior.

The only problem with this situation is Hill's lack of self control, and that some of y'all aren't better lobbyists for the industry.

I really would vote yes. I'd vote yes to faster highways too. But I wouldn't argue a speeding ticket by saying that the speed limit should be faster.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  26. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I remember Mack suspending Kwami Caville and another player before the bowl game for failing drug test.
    We shouldn't test for weed as it is not performance enhancing in my opinion.

27. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

What's on the list? Are other non performance enhancing drugs like heroin on there?

28. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Is college football a job? Or is it an activity that students participate in? If college football is a "job" then college classes are a "job" and every student should be drug tested. Why JUST the football players?

Football coaches are not parents. It is not their job to develop young men. That is all baloney. Their job is to win football games, not be a parent or law enforcement. These are 18-23 year olds, not high schoolers or middle schoolers. Hell, as far as my high school coaches go, none of those guys were great mentors. They could mostly coach football though which was their job.

I will not vote to legalize weed. I have never had it, and have never been a drug user other than alcohol. I do not even want to see it legal However, I went to UT in the past 10 years and watched pretty much everyone else use weed and other drugs. The NFL is employer and if they want to drug test, I do not blame them. UT is not an employer for these students and UT is not a parent. It is not UT's job to parent or enforce the law. UT is there to provide an education. If students get in trouble with the LAW, then UT should suspend. Otherwise, if UT is not going to drug test all of the students, then it should stay out of drug testing the players.

29. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

The problem here is we have a failure to follow the golden rule. A lot of posters here I am sure smoked weed in college, but feel that these players should be able to do the same. As a society, we and universities mostly look the other way when college students use drugs. However, we are selectively treating a group of students differently just because they play football (a sport where they rough each other up). That's baloney. Either drug test all of the students or leave the football players alone.

Is it really fair to stick these players in an environment where the majority of the other students are using drugs around them without consequence? If you really feel drugs are bad and the players should not use them, then you should feel the same way about the other students and drug test everyone.

30. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

77, I have mixed emotions about weed, and its legalization, but...

I have no problem "selectively treating a group of students who play football" differently. To state the obvious, they are seen so Gods on campus, as role models, and they don't pay for their education. The coach of any college team is empowered to establish the rules of his choosing, and to enforce them as he or she determines appropriate. Players understand this reality, or at least they should. After all, there's no doubt that it is pounded into their heads from the moment they step on campus.

Hill knew the rules, he broke them. Apparently repeatedly. By doing so, he let himself down, and he let down the team. Selfish players are almost always detrimental for the team.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017