Honduras

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by matt8209, Jul 17, 2009.

1. matt8209

matt8209 100+ Posts

Is this how you eat crow? "just discovered details?" like what? the ******* honduran constitution. Cnn is pathetic.

This afternoon, Rick Sanchez on CNN discussed some "breaking news",
    launching in with the "just discovered" details that very strongly suggest that the Military Coup in Honduras was, after all, NOT a coup!
    Then he explained how CNN had just "uncovered" information clearly ndicating that Honduras had indeed stood up for its rights and freedom and had _legally_ striped Zelaya of the Presidency and ejected him as a
    private citizen from the country. He also indicated thatthe "hordes" of supporters for the deposed President were really not all that large.

2. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

3. matt8209

matt8209 100+ Posts

Applies to Obama, Hillary and the rest of the left who condemned everything before reading one ******* word that what was done was perfectly legal. It is very scary that our leadership will blanketly stand with the castros, chavezes and ortegagas without even knowing the ******* facts.

4. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

that is because obama and the left support people like chavez.

5. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

Yep. Again, Obama would look bad to these clowns and his supporters defending democracy right before he tries the same commie pinko stunts here in this country.

6. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Obama won't eat crow, he'll just not mention it again and figure (correctly) that anyone who already liked him will choose to forget his mistake.

7. matt8209

matt8209 100+ Posts

The people in this country are already beginning to see through his bs teleprompter speaches. And his ridiculous proposals coming at a time when we are on the burge of bankrupcy as a nation. I am glad there are 6 centrist senators who have told them to put the brake on everything for the time being. The liberals will say it is because of their campaign donations, but the net effect will save this country from the hard left leaning way obama has us going. Hopefullly in 2010 the Repubs can win back the house or enough seats to collaborate with the Blue Dogs and gain seats in the Senate before Obama can send us into Al Gores fantasy world bankrupcy court.

8. HornsHornsHorns

HornsHornsHorns 500+ Posts

9. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

The social structure of this coup (yes, it was a coup) is, as Mark Weisbrot described it, "The battle between Zelaya and his opponents pits a reform president who is supported by labor unions and social organizations against a mafia-like, drug-ridden, corrupt political elite who is accustomed to choosing not only the Supreme Court and the Congress, but also the president" which is, as he describes, "a recurrent story in Latin America." It's also the 3rd such action this decade, preceded by the very brief coup that ultimately failed to get rid of Chavez in Venezuela in 2002 and the coup that succeeded in overthrowing Aristide (and sending him to Central Africa) in Haiti in 2004.

Those who are accusing Obama of aligning himself with Chavez haven't the slightest clue of what they're talking about. Yes, it is true that the Obama administration has sided with the Organization of American States in condemning the coup, but the condemnation is relatively passive, and they've taken no action whatsoever. Unlike France, Spain, Italy, and the other Latin American countries, the United States has also not withdrawn its ambassador to Honduras.

As to the issue of the Honduran Constitution, Weisbrot observes "Supporters of the coup argue that the president violated the law by attempting to go ahead with the referendum after the Supreme Court ruled against it. This is a legal question; it may be true, or it may be that the Supreme Court had no legal basis for its ruling. But it is irrelevant to the what has happened: the military is not the arbiter of a constitutional dispute between the various branches of government. This is especially true in this case, in that the proposed referendum was a non-binding and merely consultative plebiscite. It would not have changed any law nor affected the structure of power; it was merely a poll of the electorate.

Therefore, the military cannot claim that it acted to prevent any irreparable harm. This is a military coup carried out for political purposes"

The full article is found here

10. ProdigalHorn

Ahh so it was total good versus total evil. Why didn't we see it before?

Wow, no bias in that article! It may well be that they're fundamentally right, but any article that draws such a solid line in the sand between the good guys and the bad guys int hat region is not working without an agenda.

11. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

12. ProdigalHorn

13. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

14. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

Zelaya did not play by the constitutional rules whereas the legislative and judicial branches of Honduras did, irregardless of course whoever is good or bad as you point out...

15. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

In reply to:

16. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

17. Ag with kids

18. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

The Link

19. Ag with kids

Vielen dank..

20. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

21. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

Hpslugga, if you're willing to dismiss any account (much of which was reported while Zelaya was still in power and president) from the newspapers inside Honduras, how are you not just guessing as to ANYTHING that's happening inside the country?

Between CNN and the local news, one side reported on protests that occurred in the weeks before the ouster (I have catracho friends from UNAH that organized groups for the ones in Tegus) and will argue both for and against Zelaya, both for and against the new government. The other side pretends like there was no need to even bother investigating and instantly screamed "pajamas" and "coup", despite not paying attention to any of the buildup.

22. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

23. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Guest

24. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

There's that word again!

25. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

26. Ag with kids

27. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

28. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

I believe there's an argument to be made that Zelaya did a number of illegal acts leading up to the Congress stripping him of powers in an emergency session, a Supreme Court judge signed the arrest order, and then the military arrested him.

I believe when my friends say they were scared shitless when the head of the Armed Forces was fired, leaving a high-crime country devoid of a real police force, causing the streets to empty while mareros were roaming Comayaguela.

I believe when the local news reports the Cardinal of Honduras says that Zelaya's return to Honduras would only bring chaos to the country and asks him to be peaceful and not return.

I don't believe that the local news is gospel or the new government is full of angels. I believe there will always be some level of corruption. But I do believe that Hondurans have some idea of what is good for Honduras.

You believe that all news in Honduras is made up and that some dudes who may have visited Honduras a few times and make more money know better. In the case that I am wrong, well, at least Zelaya was prepared...

Of course, I'm sure the statue was commissioned by the coup and only used for propaganda.

29. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

30. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Guest