honeymoon ideas

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by dalhorn1, Aug 24, 2010.

1. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

recently became engaged, and fiance and I are discussing honeymoon locations, ocean-centric. We'd like to go mid-April to mid-May, a few weeks after the wedding. I have to ration my vacation time some, so 7 days is about my limit.

Any suggestions? We've considered Hawaii, Tahiti, BVIs, Bahamas, but haven't been swayed in one way or other yet.

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Turks & Cacos

3. pneuma

pneuma 25+ Posts

Did BVI charter for 25th anny on 72' ketch skippered by young & energetic dude with gourmet cook girlfriend -- unmatched trip and we've ventured afar and often over the years. Essential to get guidance from actual sailors down there to avoid multifarious pitfalls. That done, prepare for lifelong memories.

4. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

If you want a stunning, romantic spot to just chill, soak up some sun, and drink EtOH during your honeymoon, then head for the Mauna Kea resort on the Big Island. Nice golf course, too. But that is all there is to do there: Chill, drink, sunbathe, golf. Ocean-view room is a must. If you prefer Maui for more island-related activities, then reserve your room at the Grand Wailea. Aloha!

5. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

dalhorn,
    I was working with my travel agent trying to get to the Isle of Capri ( the one in Italy) for my honeymoon about 5 years ago. It was going to be pretty hard to travel there. 2 plane flights, and a boat or helicopter. So she suggestedThe Link I HIGHLY recommend it. Reasonble prices. Easy travel from Houston/Dallas or Austin. Short flight, and then they van you down to the resort. The food is very good as are the accomadations. The personal treatment is also very good. We got champagne and a cold towel as we sat down to check in, as well as a personal concierge at our villa (this was at a regular room). There is plenty of time to hang on the beach and do nothing or take in some sights. It is literally minutes away from pretty good shopping in Playa Del Carmen, or take a boat ride over to Cozumel. We didn't do either, but we did take scuba lessons and go scuba diving.
    We were so tired after the wedding I am glad we did something close, and the water and beach are gorgeous.

6. HouHorn97

HouHorn97 100+ Posts

Honeymooned at the Four Seasons on Maui 12 years ago...heaven on earth. Yes, it's pricey but hey, it's your honeymoon! My wife and I still bring up how great that property was...beautiful...and lots to do on Maui.

7. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

thanks for all of the suggestions--keep 'em coming, too, unless they are for boating honeymoons (i get sea sick on anything larger than a SeaDoo).

8. pneuma

pneuma 25+ Posts

Understand sea sickness concerns, just be aware BVI's provide calm sailing inside protected island group, look at a map -- what it's known for. In fact, wife prone to sea sickness too but had zero problems as we bounced leisurely island to island, some accessable by boat only - awesome. Even made a dash to out-lying Anegada, unprotected blue-water sailing to be sure and only problem was digesting firey conch ceviche.

9. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

dalhorn, actually if you are a LARGE ship ie cruise you can't hardly tell they are moving, PLUS there are some great medicines/patches for motion sickness IF that is what you want to do.

10. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

11. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

I suggest checking out the thread on the Greek Isles.

Went there for our honeymoon, and now my wife wants to move there.

[​IMG]

12. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

I appreciate all of the info.

THEU--for most people, i would agree that a large ship neutralizes the odds of getting sick. Not for me. I get dizzy turning left or right when someone calls my name! And adding alcohol makes the sea-sick pills a nap in a bottle, no matter what time of day or night.

I've lost the first round of planning, though. After writing up pros/cons, Tahiti and Hawaii (along with Europe) are out for now, due to the fiance wants a shorter flight (she's not what you'd call a relaxed flier). So, we're turning out attention toward Mexico (the Royal Hideaway or somewhere next to Xcaret), BVI resorts, or Dominican Republic (Casa de Campo).

13. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy 100+ Posts

Wife and I went to Belize.

Short flight from Houston, may have to take a quick puddle jump after that depending on where you go.

English speaking country, beautiful beaches, great diving, close to Mayan ruins, etc.

14. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

dalhorn1,
    I will restate my support for Royal Hideawy then. Man, I love that place, and after the day I've had I wish I were there now!

15. Puffer

Puffer 250+ Posts

16. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

After bouncing ideas around for months, we've come full circle on our location for honeymoon--Hawaii.

That being said, I'd like some opinions on which Maui hotel you'd suggest. Options are:

Ritz-Carlton Kapalua
    Grand Wailea
    Fairmont

We've found rates for all 3 of them that are within our goal for airfare and hotel. We likely won't be dining at a resort for more than breakfast each day, so that's not high on my consideration.

Oh, any suggestions on activities/luaus/other that you've done are welcome. It's been a while since I've been to Maui, and there's still a lot I haven't done.
    I'll hang up and listen....thanks.

17. ChazUTX

ChazUTX 250+ Posts

GREAT decision on Maui. I was just fixing to respond before I saw your post that my wife and I did our honeymoon in Maui and loved it. Here is where we stayed and would highly recommend it....as it's a bit more secluded than the others:

The Link

It's right off Makena Beach and it is a fantastic resort. It's under new ownership since we went back in 2005 when it was Maui Prince Resort.

Must to-do list:

1. Haleakala sunrise and bike down the mountain adventure. This was absolutely awesome! Nothing like taking a bus up to the top of a 10k ft volcano(crater) and watch the sunrise and then bike down the volcano to the beach. You essentially don't have to pedal at all the entire ride.

2. Road to Hana
    3. Snorkel trip to Molokini
    4. Luau at Wailea Resort (forgot about this one)

Have fun man!

18. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

thanks for the suggestions, Chaz. Last Saturday, I decided to go ahead and pay up for the Ritz option. 7 nights, airfare and convertible for what I believe to be a cost I'm comfortable with, while not sacrificing quality.

Anyhow, all of the Maui suggestions are welcome. I've been wondering about the Molokini snorkel trip, but you sold me on it, as well as the sunrise bike trip. My mother and sister did that when we were there last. As for the Road to Hana, that's why I opted for a Jeep for the week.

19. ChazUTX

ChazUTX 250+ Posts

Yeah the Molokini snorkel trip is awesome as swimming in a crater filled with corral was good stuff. Crystal clear water that you can see 30-40 ft down to the bottom. But then again I snorkel any tropical place I go....so I love it regardless.

Certainly can't go wrong with the Ritz. Fantastic place...but yeah my two favorite things to do were probably the sunrise bike adventure and the snorkel trip Molokini.

20. rsmith35

rsmith35 < 25 Posts

My favorite meal on Maui by far was at Longhi's in Lahaina. Fantastic meal, and Lahaina is a great little village to wander around for a while before dinner.

21. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

the honeymoon should be BEFORE the wedding...so you will at least get a few BJ's.

22. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I only have one bit of advice. Going to a beautiful tropical location with a lovely woman, anticipating a wonderful few days...can be ruined the first day by a bad sunburn. Not being able to touch your partner who is severely sunburned after a snorkeling trip or day on the beach...is not fun. Or so I have heard.
    If you go in the winter, and no one has any tan, and the angle of the sun is much more direct than in Austin, this can happen in just a few hours, especially if one or both are fair skinned. I recommend an 1890's full body swimming outfit with a bonnet, or maybe lots of sun block.

23. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

BigWill FTW. But Accurate, your reminder works well, too. My Nordic-hued *** can't take the sun for very long, especially in May before I've seasoned myself on the golf course.

Have any of you been to Molokai? I'm considering doing a tour of the island's interesting topography for a long day trip. My fiancee is a photographer, has all of the latest and greatest equipment, and has a knack for getting quality shots of landscapes.